Old 23 Jan 20, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile Marella flavours of the Caribbean day 2

Despite being so tired yesterday, my body clock wasn’t having it and woke me up at my usual alarm time. A mere 3.5 hours after going to bed. It was pitch black though so I did manage to doze back off, waking up on the hour until just before 7am when I could do no more.

The captain had told us yesterday that sea conditions weren’t great for tendering at Grand Cayman and so we had 4 options, go anyway, anchor somewhere else, switch days and have a day at sea, and I can’t remember what the 4th was.
I look out my window and we are very much still at sea, and the bow cam says the same, but the interactive map says that we are at least in the vicinity of Grand Cayman. I had been contemplating picking up a trip to see the stingrays, but had been told snorkelling with them wasn’t much fun in windy/choppy weather, and it’s definitely not at all
calm.
There is no letter or updated cruise news, so I decide to get quickly dressed and head to breakfast and pop by reception to see if anyone knows what plans are.
I go to the 47 restaurant for the waiter service restaurant, I had some of the options of the full English with orange juice, coffee and toast. It was excellent.

Whilst I was in there the captain came on an announced they had reshuffled the itinerary, as Georgetown port in Grand Cayman was closed completely due to gale force 8 winds. It was fine by me, but I couldn’t get hold of DH so I hope he wasn’t worried.
I change my dinner recommendation in the Asian fusion to tonight, as tomorrow I’ll be out all day in Cozumel, then head back to my cabin to rest for a bit as I am tired. I read a bit, and watch some Top of the Lake on my iPad.

They announce on the tannoy that there is going to be a new cruise news out by lunchtime, and that there will be a ladies pamper party at 1, then wine and cheese tasting for £7 at 2. Afternoon planned..

I smarten myself up a bit, then head up a floor to the restaurant. I’m right at the back of the ship so really near the restaurants and atrium.

As I sit down, the captain comes back on, and announces that there has been a medical emergency, and that we have had to do a 180, and back off to grand cayman we go. Eeeek, we’ll have to see what that does to our planned ports.

I order the spring rolls (yum) and a burger and some rose wine (also yum) whilst watching the swell, it’s so choppy.

I head to the ladies pamper party at 1, which is ok, passes half an hour, then I head up to the wine tasting which is paired with cheese and nibbles and really quite good.

We get back to Grand Cayman, and I’m able to send DH a text, to only straight away be told that I had used all my credit. That’s £20 for 3 texts and an email, urghhh.

Everyone looks so put together on the cruise, and I can never normally have painted nails due to the horses. There is a deal at the spa for £20 for a manicure so decide to go for it. I phone and they have 5pm.

I head back to my cabin, have a shower and do my hair and make up. It’s dress to impress night tonight so I put on a dress and make a bit of an effort. I have 30 mins to kill so I nip to the atrium bar for a Sangria.

I go for my manicure and chat to a nice girl from near me at home. I have just under an hour until my Kori-La reservation. They didn’t have 7 or 7.30 so I decided to go for 6.30 rather than 8 as it opened up my evening choices a bit better really. I head up to deck 11 to the Deck 11 bar, and watch the sea with a cava, it’s thankfully calming down hugely.

It’s time for me to go in and I’m so excited. I’m hoping for good things as the main dining room food has so far been excellent. Just as I go in a sax player starts in the bar next door and I have a lovely view of the sea and the pool area.

I order the Crispy pork belly, then umm and ahh about the mains as I could eat them all, but eventually choose a speciality curry, chicken Kashmiri.

They bring a pre starter of deep fried prawns, and breads and dips, yummy. Then the pork belly comes out. It’s boiling hot which takes me by surprise but also quite nice.

Quickly followed by the mains, they make a big thing of you being able to completely personalise your curry, the exact temperature you choose. Only for me to go into great detail explaining, quite a kick but not mouth burning, between a jalfrezi/madras, only for it to be like a korma. Still was plentiful and the sides were nice.

I’m not a dessert person anyway, but I especially hate Asian desserts, so I decline: the waitress looks a bit like a kicked puppy, but nothing further is offered so I head off.

For those of you who have been on P&O, it’s Sindhu, but £3 dearer, and not quite as good. Sindhu was very quick; but again here I was only in my seat 40 minutes. I just felt Sindhu offered a better touch, more freebies added on, a lassi, Asian petit fours. Still it got me out of the hustle and bustle of the captains evening, and the service was excellent. I also do like to visit them all if I can.

I’m earlier than expected, so I find a quiz advertised as I have an hour til the show. I head to the squid and anchor for the quiz, which I was going to do by myself but then the most fabulous older gents invite me to join them. They were so nice and told me that they had left their wives at home because all they wanted to do was shop! We weren’t very good, but they were great company.

Followed by the show, a music festival based show which was really good actually. Much better than last night.

I then went to the atrium to watch the captains address and toast, he is such an engaging captain, easy on the eye too, especially in his white suit.

It’s gone 10 by this point but I reckon I can do 30 mins or so, I don’t want to stay up too late as I have no idea what time my tour tomorrow has been re-arranged to, so I just watch the guitar guy from yesterday for a short while, then wander my way to bed. Been a good day x
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It all sounds and looks so wonderful. I think you are amazing to go off yourself. Really enjoying your report x
Old 23 Jan 20, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Gotta love sindu. Kinda glad it’s better than the Marella ones I won’t begrudge paying those prices as much.

Always following along with your adventures
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
It all sounds and looks so wonderful. I think you are amazing to go off yourself. Really enjoying your report x
Thanks, am in Havana today but the WiFi just isn’t good enough to load the next days, hopefully in the next day or so
Old 27 Jan 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

We docked in Grand Cayman on the 10th Jan this year , couldn't do Stingray City as it was too rough . The last time grand Cayman was on our itinerary we couldn't dock either
. Not sure if we are unlucky or if its port you can rarely get into lol
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

another great day,people seem so friendly.
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 20, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Mobile

I was on this cruise too! It worked out great for us not going to Grand Cayman that first day, we had a nice chilled jet lagged day! Loved the whole cruise, was amazing, loved lying on the beach in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, loved Havana and then loved all the ports of Central America the second week 👍👍weren’t we lucky with the earthquake too.
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by LRMD View Post
I was on this cruise too! It worked out great for us not going to Grand Cayman that first day, we had a nice chilled jet lagged day! Loved the whole cruise, was amazing, loved lying on the beach in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, loved Havana and then loved all the ports of Central America the second week 👍👍weren’t we lucky with the earthquake too.
Yes we were! Can’t believe we were on the same time! Could have had a wine together!
I love a first day sea day too, and I was soo tired, but was happy when I got signal to text home

Edited at 11:02 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
nice sea day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List