Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 May 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Boaty McBoatFace and other questions? Tell me about hiring a boat on the Gulf Coast...

With all our plans for 2020 cancelled, we are now planning for a three week trip next July/August. We are planning to start at the Yacht Club for a week and then off to Cape Coral (probably there or another waterfront property on the Gulf Coast) We'll then head to Naples for a week on the beach before a final couple of days in the parks before we head home.

We are thinking of hiring a boat for our second week. We have never hired a boat before and never stayed at a waterfront property so we have a few questions...

How does the boat hire work and where would you hire it from? (does it get delivered?).

Do you need a licence or any sort of training?

How do you navigate? Can you still use Google maps off the coast?!?

Can you fish from your hire boat?

How far can you go on one of these boats? How long does it take? How fast do they go?

Can you just rock up anywhere with a jetty and park up?

As you can see, we know nothing about this but after a lovely day trip out on a small boat a couple of years ago (this cost us about £250 for four of us) we figured that £600 for a nice boat might actually save us some money if we can use it for a fishing trip and to get to restaurants and bars etc.

Thanks
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 20, 02:13 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hubby and I holidayed for circa 15 years in Cape Coral. We've wintered on Bokeelia, Pine Island, just West of Cape Coral, for 10 years, frankly we don't recommend hiring a boat to self navigate, training is necessary but can be brief, there are rules to abide by, one can't tie up wherever they like, a fishing licence is necessary, a waterways map is necessary, one needs to monitor the gas tank, as they would in a car, whilst knowing where to refuel, only the boat hirer can advise if fishing is allowed from their boat, speed is restricted based on manatee zones and is monitored by the Sheriff/police/coast guard. I give the following advice/info to others who ask. Once thro the Cape canals the waterways are very busy with locals who know what they're doing and where to go, IMHO you're better off taking a boat trip and letting the Captain take the helm.

We've been going out on the water with Capt Bruce at SW Florida Private Getaway (see HERE) for years. I highly recommend you drive over to Maria Road Marine on Pine Island where Bruce leaves from (see HERE), look at the map, you'll note you're immediately in the river, on the Maria Road Marina map you'll see Demere Key, on the point is the Shell House, a home that was built many years ago and completely covered with shells, you sail past it. The owner, during construction, offerred $X per each bucket of shells, it came to light they'd been stealing said shells from protected Indian burial mounds on the island, people were not happy.

With the Cape, location dependant, even south of Cape Coral Pkway it can take 40 mins or longer to the river where you'll join a queue of boats generally heading towards Sanibel. The waters off Pine Island are considerably quieter. Capt Bruce, who charges $50pp, max of 6, min of 4, will take you out for circa 7 hours, that may sound a long time but you'll have such a good time you'll not see the time getting away - if you want to steer the boat just ask, as you'll see he's rated 5* as people have a blast with him. He owns a large, double bimini pontoon. He'll do/go whatever you want but we leave him to make the choice but we like to head over to Fosters Bay where copious manatee can be found (using the map look for Upper Captiva and you'll see Foster Bay south of Cayo Costa), he'll tie up on a private pier he has permission to use and you can walk about 150 yards to the Gulf side of Captiva Island, it's only accessible by boat so it's not busy. He'll bring chairs so you can sit on the soft white sandy beach, swim or collect shells. He suggests you take a picnic with plenty of drink or you can eat at Cabbage Key or on Upper Captiva. We always take a picnic as we love being out on the water or chomping on UC beach. Bruce gets a kick out of boating, he never tires of it and will stop the boat for dolphin pods to enjoy/photograph. He also takes clients out for a late afternoon/sunset cruise, where one might be lucky enough to see a green flash at sunset. Don't forget bug spray and sun block plus a beach towel. We travel in our swimwear with shorts/top.

I admit we're biased, whilst we've hired a boat in the past we can't be chowed to self navigate, another Dibber recently used Bruce and may offer up their opinion too.

I have a long list of 'things to see and do' in SW Fl if you'd like it.
Old 17 May 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hubby and I holidayed for circa 15 years in Cape Coral. We've wintered on Bokeelia, Pine Island, just West of Cape Coral, for 10 years, frankly we don't recommend hiring a boat to self navigate, training is necessary but can be brief, there are rules to abide by, one can't tie up wherever they like, a fishing licence is necessary, a waterways map is necessary, one needs to monitor the gas tank, as they would in a car, whilst knowing where to refuel, only the boat hirer can advise if fishing is allowed from their boat, speed is restricted based on manatee zones and is monitored by the Sheriff/police/coast guard. I give the following advice/info to others who ask. Once thro the Cape canals the waterways are very busy with locals who know what they're doing and where to go, IMHO you're better off taking a boat trip and letting the Captain take the helm.

We've been going out on the water with Capt Bruce at SW Florida Private Getaway (see HERE) for years. I highly recommend you drive over to Maria Road Marine on Pine Island where Bruce leaves from (see HERE), look at the map, you'll note you're immediately in the river, on the Maria Road Marina map you'll see Demere Key, on the point is the Shell House, a home that was built many years ago and completely covered with shells, you sail past it. The owner, during construction, offerred $X per each bucket of shells, it came to light they'd been stealing said shells from protected Indian burial mounds on the island, people were not happy.

With the Cape, location dependant, even south of Cape Coral Pkway it can take 40 mins or longer to the river where you'll join a queue of boats generally heading towards Sanibel. The waters off Pine Island are considerably quieter. Capt Bruce, who charges $50pp, max of 6, min of 4, will take you out for circa 7 hours, that may sound a long time but you'll have such a good time you'll not see the time getting away - if you want to steer the boat just ask, as you'll see he's rated 5* as people have a blast with him. He owns a large, double bimini pontoon. He'll do/go whatever you want but we leave him to make the choice but we like to head over to Fosters Bay where copious manatee can be found (using the map look for Upper Captiva and you'll see Foster Bay south of Cayo Costa), he'll tie up on a private pier he has permission to use and you can walk about 150 yards to the Gulf side of Captiva Island, it's only accessible by boat so it's not busy. He'll bring chairs so you can sit on the soft white sandy beach, swim or collect shells. He suggests you take a picnic with plenty of drink or you can eat at Cabbage Key or on Upper Captiva. We always take a picnic as we love being out on the water or chomping on UC beach. Bruce gets a kick out of boating, he never tires of it and will stop the boat for dolphin pods to enjoy/photograph. He also takes clients out for a late afternoon/sunset cruise, where one might be lucky enough to see a green flash at sunset. Don't forget bug spray and sun block plus a beach towel. We travel in our swimwear with shorts/top.

I admit we're biased, whilst we've hired a boat in the past we can't be chowed to self navigate, another Dibber recently used Bruce and may offer up their opinion too.

I have a long list of 'things to see and do' in SW Fl if you'd like it.
This boat trip sounds amazing, bookmarking for another time.
Old 17 May 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We have been boating in the UK a few times. I have boated around the Norfolk Broads a couple of times and it wasn't all that dramatic. I'm hoping that places to fuel up and park the boat are obvious or at least on a map? We can get an hours training by the boat owner and they have all the suitable licences for fishing from the boat. The place we are looking to rent is 10 minutes from the open water on SW 53rd Terrace so should be easy to navigate out to open water easily enough.

I'd be interested to hear what you liked/disliked when you hired the boat yourselves? While I understand that some are less confident or might be worried about getting things wrong, we are in it for the experience and happy to make a few errors along the way! What's the worst that could happen if you're fully fueled, have maps and permits and a bit of common sense?

Thanks for the advice. I will do some more research and look into trip prices too but the idea of being able to moor up at a restaurant or bar for the evening and then take the boat home sounds too good to miss!
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
We have been boating in the UK a few times. I have boated around the Norfolk Broads a couple of times and it wasn't all that dramatic. I'm hoping that places to fuel up and park the boat are obvious or at least on a map? We can get an hours training by the boat owner and they have all the suitable licences for fishing from the boat. The place we are looking to rent is 10 minutes from the open water on SW 53rd Terrace so should be easy to navigate out to open water easily enough.

I'd be interested to hear what you liked/disliked when you hired the boat yourselves? While I understand that some are less confident or might be worried about getting things wrong, we are in it for the experience and happy to make a few errors along the way! What's the worst that could happen if you're fully fueled, have maps and permits and a bit of common sense?

Thanks for the advice. I will do some more research and look into trip prices too but the idea of being able to moor up at a restaurant or bar for the evening and then take the boat home sounds too good to miss!
Well, for a start the weather could change suddenly and dramatically,
hopefully some seasoned boaters will supply more things that can befall well meaning amateurs. Open water is nothing like the Norfolk Broads, well unless you count crossing Breydon Water.
Old 17 May 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

Well, I've a tale to tell about hiring a boat!

We stayed in Cape Coral about 10 years ago in a beautiful villa that had a boat dock, so of course we just had to hire a boat. The company delivered it, showed us how to use the boat dock and drive the boat. He gave us lots of instructions, had to stay here, couldn't go past here, etc. etc. He did warn us that the tides were the lowest they'd been for a long time so be careful.

Day 1 - it took us about 30 mins to get to the sea as we were quite a way away up the canals and as they are no wake zones, you can only go very slow due to the manatees. Within the first couple of hours we had damaged a speaker in the wall of the boat (DS caught it with his foot), lost the canopy cover (it blew off) and lost an anchor (hubby threw it over the side and it wasn't connected). This is a true story!

Day 2 - we headed off out to sea again, enjoying looking at all the huge mansions on the way out. Went near Sanibel. Hubby and son fishing. Daughter and I collecting shells. After a couple of hours the sky in the distance started to look a little ominous so we decided it was time to head back as we were quite far away from our villa. Hubby decided to put his foot down so to speak and despite keeping a careful eye on the depth of the water, all of a sudden we hit a sandbank under the surface of the water and were stuck, completely stuck! Hubby was revving the propeller which then spat a load of sand and silt into the boat (it was white leather! ) and completely damaged it. We had to ring for a tow boat (luckily we had taken out this insurance). About an hour later we were towed back into the dock with the owner waiting for us, where we had to confess to the speaker, cover, anchor and now propeller.

Let's just say it wasn't our finest moment and it cost us over $1000 in excess charges.

If I was you I would give it a miss!
Old 17 May 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post

Does the boat have a depth finder/sat nav? Many, numbered, red/green navigation channel markers aren't lit, you'll need a clear and precise alternative to remain in the channel at night - when you exit your canal (and into the river), look back and perhaps take a photo, or two, so you can give yourselves land markers to guide you in, many canal have a street address on the sea wall, where you exit, remember it/write it down, ensure you can guide yourselves back to your rental home/boat lift

Make yourselves aware how to navigate numbered markers, this may help HERE

Ask the owner if he has a valid contract with Tow Boats US or Sea Tow, ensure you have a working phone/radio should you need to ring for a tow. If you plan to head out to a restaurant on the water you're liable for DUI rules if operating a boat after drinking

Re non-resident saltwater fishing licence, unless recently changed, an individual licence is required, the following link may explain more. See HERE. Many years ago (mid 2000's) as a CC property owner I used to fish from CC pier, at that time I was allowed to freely fish from the pier but the law changed, perhaps when they realised mucho wonga was waiting in the wings from those who enjoy fishing. FWC (Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission) are hot on fishing licences, what you can/can't catch and the length each fish must be. They heavily fine those without a licence/taking unauthorised fish. The FWC link posted above should help.

Depending on your 53rd Ter location, nearest fuel may be CC Yacht Club or Tarpon Point Marina, pop the full address into Google maps to see your canal route to the river and locale of fuel.

HERE. is a CC waterway maps to check out. As before, be aware that the waters off CC are very busy, you'll find it a tad quieter during the week when other boaters are at work

I don't dislike self navigation and oft take the helm on Capt Bruce's boat for a while, and I most definitely don't lack confidence, hubs reminded me we'd taken a boat out more times than I remembered Simply, I prefer a front boat seat watching the views/marine life with a highly experienced Capt who knows the waters far better than I.

Being happy to 'make a few errors on the way' is most definitely not an attitude to hold when you're responsible for the lives of your family, and others, out on the water, you need to be alert and vigilant for yourself/other boaters at all times, unfortunately some boaters repeatedly whinge and have no patience for the inexperienced, they are also incapable of policing themselves... a former neighbour was out on their boat, in a 'slow, no wake' zone when an irresponsible boater came past them on full speed. The wake threw her up off her feet, she landed across seats on her back, which, sadly, was broken (as a nurse she just knew she'd knacked her back). They radioed for help, the Coast Guard, with the Sheriff boat keeping all other boats away, led them back to their dock where the emergency services were waiting. Consider wearing the life jackets onboard the boats, you're supposed to, esp if you have young bairns, but very few actually do. If pulled by the Coast Guard they'll want to see all jackets. Be aware, there are some highly experienced boaters, with, 'oh man, look at the size of that', boats, many go full throdge in the river channels, irrespective of knowing you'll cop their wake, please don't be too alarmed, move out a bit if you can, either try to 'race' away from the wake or slow down, turn to face the wake, riding it forward.

BTW, the waters off CC are absolutely nothing like the Broads. I appreciate you seem keen to head out and park up at restaurants/bars for the evening - you may find reality doesn't live up to your dreams, you can but give it a go, but please take great care.

Kidd - if you're looking for other ideas I prepared a long list of places to go, things to see... check out post 4 on THIS thread. Have a smashing holiday

Edited at 07:58 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
This boat trip sounds amazing, bookmarking for another time.
RP, he offers a superb boat trip. Whilst I can explain what we did, you truly have to experience the joy of being in the far quieter waters off Pine Island.

Cruised with Canadian friends from Maria Drive Marina just afore C-19 kicked off. Liz is a nurse and drove down to help care for her dad, Ron, who's wheelchair bound after a 2018 stroke, and his gf, Elaine. Nowt is too much trouble for Bruce, he manipulated Ron AND his wheelchair onto his pontoon, Liz/Elaine then transferred Ron to a seat under one bimini and off we went, passed the Shell House, me doing my tourist speech about how it came about Liz had been unsure about the estimated length of time out on the water, I said whenever they wanted to head back was good with us. Headed out into the Gulf at the top of Upper Captiva, sat there for a while and doubled back to Fosters Bay where we walked thro to Upper Captiva soft, white, sandy beach. Hubs stayed on the boat with Ron and Bruce whilst us lasses tappy lappied past a bald eagles nest to the beach for a bit plodge (Liz was straight in for a swim) and shell collecting. When we got back to Fosters Bay Liz went out into the water and a manatee followed her around (at no time did she touch it, that is illegal), she had a blast. Then off we cruised for circa 40 mins, stopping to watch dolphin pods, sea turtles, Bald Eagles, Frigate birds, Osprey who nest in between the channel markers, to a 'hidden lake' Bruce knows where a few manatee live alongside a couple of gators (it's a myth gators won't swim in salt water, they do but must occasionally find fresh water for a detox!), it was so peaceful and we decided to eat our picnics there whilst watching the wildlife. And all the time Ron sat whistling and so chilled

Then to Mango's on Upper Captiva for a cocktail and a swim in the pool there. On the way into UC we pass a plot of land that used to hold a $1.7m, 3 level, home known as the Lighthouse after fire razed it to the ground in 2017 and damaged a neighbours home in the process. That home used to rent for circa $13000 a week! As one can only get to UC via boat, Pine Island and Cape Coral firemen watched it burn as their boat tried to get there soonest. It was such an iconic landmark. See HERE.

After Mango's Liz was shocked to discover we'd been out some 6 hours! A gentle cruise back, with various music and singing saw us hit Maria Drive Marina 7 hours after we left - another fantastic day and for $50 a head

Liz advised me a few days later that Ron's BP the morning after being on the boat was the lowest they'd seen since his stroke, his overall health was very good and he was sleeping well
Old 17 May 20, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks ChrisS...That'll give me loads to get my teeth into. We understand that it's not going to be as simple as getting into the boat and zooming off into the sunset but if we want to do this more regularly then we have to start sometime. Learning the routes and planning journeys is unlikely to be a problem for us, we will read up on navigation and what markers we need to look out for (I have discovered loads of Youtube videos about motor boats) the boat we are looking to hire has a depth finder and sat nav and we have good maps of the waterways and the coast. We will make sure to check the contract with Tow Boats US.

With regard to...

'Being happy to 'make a few errors on the way' is most definitely not an attitude to hold when you're responsible for the lives of your family, and others'...

How can someone learn to pilot a boat in Florida if they don't eventually hire one? Rest assured, I'm not talking about recklessly careening about at full throttle, without a map or a clue. More like a gentle mid morning motor down the coast or an afternoon cruise to a bar or restaurant. Everyone will have life jackets and of course we will make sure to follow all of the rules on fishing and DUI etc. We would also love to head to some of the smaller islands and bays for some photography and some fishing.

We would probably use the boat for at least three full days so not sure if it would be less expensive to hire a boat and captain for three days but it would certainly make for easier planning if we had the boat on standby outside. Less weather worries and no need to travel for pickup etc.

We have yet to decide if we will hire a boat but it seems a shame not to if we have such easy access to the waters. I can't think of another destination that'll offer us all of this with great weather and wildlife so close to hand too. Also the local language is English so no language problems if we need assistance etc. and we know our way around that part of the Gulf Coast quite well. This seems to be the best opportunity we're going to have for a bit of boating without shelling out loads on a special boating holiday somewhere warm.

The thread you pointed me to looks great. It could keep me busy for a few days of lockdown! Thanks for the tips, I'm sure we'll make good use of the water whatever we end up doing.

Thanks
Old 17 May 20, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Would Captain Bruce come over to pick us up from Cape Coral?