Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Nov 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
Every year at this time ,for about 3 weeks this happens!..it really freaks me out!..I am not sure whether its mice or rats but it wakes us up..you can hear running at times so its not birds or squirrels ..Luckily i work nights so that helps but i dread this every year!...the loft is clean and clear during the day so they must come in during the night..
When I saw the title I that it was a post about you going mad. (like Bats in the Belfry etc.)
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

We had this in our old bungalow
It would usually happen in the colder months scurrying above us and occasionally chewing scratching noises
We were indeniel for a while until Dh saw a rat in our kitchen!
Called a guy out who put poison down and it stopped
Really didn’t want to do that but the kitchen was the last straw
We d never seen any droppings but loft was big with limited accessibility

Edited at 03:49 PM.
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

get yourself a security cam with night vision that can record to an SD card and then set it to record and check the footage in the morning. I would say get one with motion tracking but you would need this to be very sensitive to pick up a mouse (or very close)
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Call in the local council or check your home insurance. We had rats in the floor space above our living room and in the lofts about 10 years ago. Drove me mad. I set traditional traps using bacon and jam as bait. The love jam and the bacon won’t pull off trap.
We discovered an old drain was not blocked off when we had renovation work. Once we found the entry point and blocked it off that was that but not before they had chewed our alarm wiring and electrical cables.
Look around your walls outside especially near any drains. A hole that one finger fits into is big enough for a mouse. Two fingers a rat. Also set traps outside. If you find a hole fill it with concrete mixed with glass. This stops them biting their way back in.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
Every year at this time ,for about 3 weeks this happens!..it really freaks me out!..I am not sure whether its mice or rats but it wakes us up..you can hear running at times so its not birds or squirrels ..Luckily i work nights so that helps but i dread this every year!...the loft is clean and clear during the day so they must come in during the night..
We had that a few years ago and I had
to get a squirrel out.

Edited at 10:04 AM.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

We have rabbits and their food attracts mice. Over the summer we caught 11 in a 10 day period. Youngest DD named each one before both girls took them to a field a couple of miles away to release them
Wazza is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We moved into our new house 18 months ago, when moving a shelf unit left in the garage there were a load of dropping under it - think old, but just incase we bought sonic devices you plug in, they let off a sound only rodents can hear, they don't like it so go away, harmless to them. You can't use them if you have rodent pets though like hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs etc
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
We moved into our new house 18 months ago, when moving a shelf unit left in the garage there were a load of dropping under it - think old, but just incase we bought sonic devices you plug in, they let off a sound only rodents can hear, they don't like it so go away, harmless to them. You can't use them if you have rodent pets though like hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs etc
Speak to any pest control these do not work not even a little bit.

We had mice in our last house as it was rural, I killed 6 one night man came and out down poison seemed to work for a bit then they came back bought two cats problem solved.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Update on our noises. The next door neighbour has just informed us she’s got rats. She’s had suspicions for a while, but today she saw a rat in her kitchen. So that explains the noises I’ve heard in the walls... I don’t think they’ve got into our house though, no signs of them. Although I do think they’ve been in our loft...

Edited at 06:17 PM.
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fluffypenguin View Post
Update on our noises. The next door neighbour has just informed us she’s got rats. She’s had suspicions for a while, but today she saw a rat in her kitchen. So that explains the noises I’ve heard in the walls... I don’t think they’ve got into our house though, no signs of them. Although I do think they’ve been in our loft...
Proper clever sneaky little rodents, they are as clever as Border Collies. I hate rats only ever had one in the house about a week before my wife went in to labour hit behind kitchen cupboards but peanut butter on a big Trex trap did the job.

I have shot them on farms before but not for years one of the few things that I could now still shoot.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List