Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 May 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile

This is one of those tricky ones as you know your son and you obviously wouldn’t even consider leaving him if you thought he wasn’t sensible etc so it is ok but if something happened - for instance he tripped on the stairs and had to go to hospital you would most likely have social services questioning you as he came to harm.
I have one friend who often leaves her 11 year old for 10-15 mins whilst she nips to the local corner shop or to drop her parcels (has own business from home) to the post office.
I have never left mine not because I think she isn’t sensible but because of that what if fear.
A friend of mine got in a bit of trouble a few years back when her mum came round with some bits from Tesco and left the bag on the kitchen counter, her 4 year old ate some kids vitamins my friend discovered it and freaked out (daughter was fine had eaten about 3 and hospital told her no need to panic) and took her to A&E where she spent several hours being questioned by social services who also made follow up visits to her house. This was a genuine mistake she didn’t know they were in the bag and she said they treated her like she was some kind of child abuser. She was really upset by it all.
As there is no law on this it’s a real grey area as if nothing happens it’s fine but if something did happen you could get in trouble.
I don’t even leave my kids in the car when I pay for petrol as I have been scared by stories of people getting in trouble with the police for it - ridiculous I know but I would be mortified if the police came up to me
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

As others have said, you know your own child. I would have had no issue at 10 years old, in fact I did pop to the shops when DS was that age. Can you carry a mobile and give DS access to a phone ? Then is like remote babysitting. I found that giving mine a little responsibility made them very proud and they were extremely mature when I trusted them to be independent (they reverted to type when I got home &#128521
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I would leave him for that length of time with no issues at all.

I don't think I would if I was using the car as that could lead to an unexpected delay due to a breakdown etc but doing what you propose is fine in my view.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

The fact you are asking points to you thinking he would be fine. Leave him with directions of where you went and what to do if there is a problem. Take your mobile with you and leave the number by the home phone.
The say "I'm going to walk(insert route) and I'll be back by(insert time). If you have a problem, call me. If I'm not back by ... then call me, and if no answer, call (insert name of relative or neighbour) and leave their number by yours.
Good gentle way of preparing him for when he is older and
1. You will leave him longer
2. He will be the one going out and he will have the example of keeping in touch and respecting the person( parent) left at home.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

My mum used to leave me from being around 10 years old while she went food shopping with my grandad, it used to take them around an hour.

I don’t see any issues with it personally, won’t be long until they’re at high school and they will need some independence.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think for most 10 year old this would be absolutely fine. One thing to mention though is does he know what to do if something goes wrong eg if the smoke alarm stars beeping does he know to leave the house and call you/fire brigade.
I'd also say when leaving, ok Fred it's 10.05 now, I'll be back by 10.25. because if you're not used to being alone it can seem like a long time to start with.
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Yes I would and have. I will leave both together (14 and 10) or the eldest alone for longer periods and the younger one for shorter periods. They have phones and there are rules like I don't let them play in the garden/on the trampoline when they are home alone in case of accidents. If we're leaving them both or the older one alone for any period/going any distance away then I make sure that at least one friend or relative of mine is staying locally during that time and is on stand by for emergencies.

I also let them go for a walk together (before coronavirus anyway) and youngest used to walk to school sometimes alone in the last year.

The law is very grey and that can put some people off doing it. Yes accidents can happen but for a bit of perspective: you could be in the shower for 15 mins and have no idea your kid had an accident until you got out. Or in the garden and not realise they fell out of a bunk bed and twisted their ankle etc. My son broke his arm aged 5 while his friends mum was standing only a few feet away and watching him. The following week he broke his other arm while his dad was standing a few feet away and watching him!

My advice to anyone would be: if you have serious doubts then don't do it, those doubts are there for a reason whatever that reason is. If you have small niggling doubts then start small e.g. walk to the end of the road and back, go for 10 mins only etc.

Just my opinion.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

He should be fine but why not take him with you on walks and leave him in the car at shops if you're worried. I trail my teenagers out for fresh air every day 😂

(My 17 year old nephew once set fire to a toaster when home alone so its definitely on maturity, not age!)
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve left my son when he was 10 (he’s 14 now) to pop to shop and stuff. I wouldn’t have left my eldest daughter (she’s 22 now). I trusted my son but my DD was untrustworthy and would have got up to mischief ... you know your son and if you think he’ll be fine then go x
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

It is tough, from year 6 I let mine walk to and from school by themselves but they were nearer to 11 than 9 if you understand what I mean . The chances of something happening are very slim and in the end it’s only you that can decide regardless of what others may or may not do .