Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
TRIP REPORT: Day 9 Tokyo Day 2 – Monday 30th September

It was another 7.30am start today, and we were out by 8.10am. We walked to the Bayside station and caught the resort line to Maihama and then the Keiyo to Tokyo. From here, we walked to Nihombashi station to catch the Ginza line over to Asakusa.

En route, we grabbed breakfast at the 7/11 – I got a Tropicana juice with some maple pancakes, and Matt got a Coke with a chocolate filled bun. It was all delicious. I also got some Hi-Chews, and it came to Y702/£5.03.

At 9.45am, we arrived at the Senso-Ji, and it was love at first sight – the entrance is so iconic! We wandered through the market (we bought a magnet for Y450/£3.22), and up to the Temple, and I pretty much stared at the pagoda for 20 minutes lol.

I was excited to do the fortune telling, so we each paid our Y100/72p and thankfully both drew a good fortune! Phew!

After a good wander around the temple and surrounding area, we headed over to our next stop – the Skytree. We opted to walk rather than get the train. On the way, we saw the Superdry Hall (the weird shaped building with the gold wave on top) which I was pleased about as I didn’t think we would get to see it.

We grabbed some drinks at Lawsons on the way (Y302/£2.16), and eventually arrived at the Skytree.

We looked and wandered around, and Matt was peckish, so we found the Coldstone Creamery. He had the Oreo Dream and the servers sung us a song as they prepared it which was cute and different from the USA. This cost Y500/£3.58. I didn’t have one as I was looking forward to the next stop!

At 12.30pm, we got the subway to Ginza, and walked to the Tsukiji Fish Market. We struggled to find the right stations/lines but got there in the end.

Once at the market, I was so excited to try the octopus on stick (Y500/£3.58) which was delicious.

I also had a shrimp, octopus, cabbage & ginger fishcake-type thing on a stick for Y350/£2.50 which was also yummy.

Finally, we each had a strawberry daifuku (Y350/£2.50 x2) which was a bit like a mochi but with a paste filling which I was less keen on.

After the market, we stopped by the 7/11 to get Matt a pizza bun (well, two) plus some drinks (Y562/£4.02), and then headed over the Ginza – the equivalent of Knightsbridge in Tokyo.

We saw the real Mitsukoshi (but we didn’t go in because of time) and Wako (Harrods equivalent), and then went to the Uniqlo flagship store, and also Sanrio World.

We didn’t stay long because of time cosntraints but enjoyed seeing the district. Our next stop however…Akihabara!

We arrived at 2.30pm and I had a hit list of things which we needed to achieve…

Gachapon (secret ball machines – Y300/£2.15 for the one we chose)

UFO machines (we spent Y1600/£11.54 lol)

Purakura (very Tokyo looking photos – Y400/£2.86)

And a Hedgehog Café (Y1500/£10.75 each) - but we didn’t stay long, the animal welfare side of things didn’t sit well with me, and I hadn’t been prepared for that. I am glad we did it, but when we return to Japan (and that's a when, we want to come back and tour the country some day), we won't do it again.

We stayed in Akihabara for a couple of hours before moving on, but stopped at the 7/11 for a couple of drinks (Y251/£1.79) first.

Our next stop was the Tokyo Tower…we didn’t stay long here, just popped over for a little look, and then headed back to the subway.

We then headed over to our final stop, which was Roppongi Hills where we saw the Mohri Gardens and Maman Spider. I didn’t really ‘get’ this area, maybe we needed to venture further afield, but it was getting late in the day and we were naturally tired by now.

We called it a day now, and decided to head back to Ikspirari for some food tonight. We got the train back and headed down to the Food Market to a restaurant called Ichizen-Ya which sold donburi. It was absolutely scrumptious and this would not be our only visit this trip, I can tell you! For two large bowls and two Pepsis, this cost Y2246/Y16.09.

After dinner, we stopped by the supermarket opposite for some drinks. I got a Pocari Sweat (it’s famous and I wanted to try it), a Salted Lychee Water (again, I wanted to try it – I wasn’t mad keen on either but they were drinkable), two packs of sweets similar to Hi-Chews, a Coke and Orangina for Y762/£5.46.

We also popped into Krispy Kreme for a sweet treat before bed, so we got a Crème Brulee, Cinnamon and Chocolate Cream donut for Y594/£4.25.

We got back to the hotel at 7.30pm, which was most welcome actually, and we showered, enjoyed our snacks, and had a chill for a couple of hours. At 8.30pm, we watched the fireworks from our balcony, and we enjoyed a nice early night to recharge before Disneyland tomorrow!

Steps = 28,167

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 04:59 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I loved Salted Lychee and found a supplier in the UK lol
Another great day!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
I loved Salted Lychee and found a supplier in the UK lol
Another great day!
It was an acquired taste...better than Pocari Sweat anyway lol

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
redfox5
slightly serious Dibber

redfox5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Great report! I feel like I missed so much in Tokyo. We didn't have time to visit Senso-Ji but it's on the list for next time.

I've also been craving 7-11 baked goods since ive been back. I miss Japan so much!
Old 26 Oct 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by redfox5 View Post
Great report! I feel like I missed so much in Tokyo. We didn't have time to visit Senso-Ji but it's on the list for next time.

I've also been craving 7-11 baked goods since ive been back. I miss Japan so much!
That’s the main thing - you will be back to do the things you missed! There were plenty of things we either didn’t do or want to do again/more of so we will definitely be back.
We want to go back and do Japan properly but it will probably just be 1 day in Tokyo, 2 in Disney and then onwards as we want to go to Kyoto, Osak, Hiroshima, and Rabbit Island and that’s just the stuff I know without researching!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 27 Oct 19, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

We are planning another trip for 2022 - 2 days Disney and then the rest is Tokyo as so much we want to see still in the city. Might add some trips to other parts of Japan, will see.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
We are planning another trip for 2022 - 2 days Disney and then the rest is Tokyo as so much we want to see still in the city. Might add some trips to other parts of Japan, will see.
Sounds fab

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 4 Nov 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another great day! You are certainly crossing lots off the list
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Another great day! You are certainly crossing lots off the list
Haha that was the goal! So much to see, so little time!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 31 Dec 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

I want to go to Japan so much, it all looks fantastic.
Loved the beautiful gardens and architecture. Also Sanrio and Uniqlo! Food looks great too.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List