Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jan 21, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Oakmark View Post
Just a word of warning for you. My conversation with the AA (who we normally use for insurance) was the complete opposite of yours in that if you book a trip while the FCO advice is not to travel then you would not be covered at all.

Which kinda makes sense for an insurance company. I would also add that it depends on who you get through too.
Thanks Oaknark for the heads up here. I'll check this out again. Without muddying the waters I now vaguely remember a conversation with the AA about the fact that I have existing cover and if I renew then that would be fine. But and a big but is that if I was choosing a brand new policy now I may not be covered.

What a minefield.
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

It's mind boggling. You just don't know what they'll say when you submit a claim, whoever the insurer is, as they all have these "known event clauses". I really want to rent DVC points, but this is definitely excluded by my travel insurance, covid or otherwise, so it would be a big gamble.
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

We are also looking at DVC points rental but will hold back for a few months before making any commitment.

I know that Daves offer an insurance but it is pretty expensive - about $3 per point so that is a couple of hundred quid just to cover the accommodation.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneybear
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

I understand providers advising that the policy is not valid if you choose to travel against FCO advice. However I was looking at a new annual policy with the post office and came across this on their FAQs:

“What if the FCDO declares my destination’s unsafe when I’m already there?
Suppose you buy a new policy, travel to a destination the FCDO or Government declares safe but that advice changes while you’re there to avoid all or all but essential travel there.
If the reason for the change was something other than Covid-19, you can claim for unused travel and accommodation costs from the date it changed. If it’s coronavirus-related, you won’t be able to claim.”

For me this is really concerning, as the government flip flop on travel corridors from one week to the next.
Disneybear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

So the question is - is any insurer providing medical cover for a future trip booked NOW - assuming that the FCO and USA allow travel at the time of travel?
And that this is defined in their formal policy documents (what an agent says is worth nothing if it isnt backed up in the policy wording).
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
So the question is - is any insurer providing medical cover for a future trip booked NOW - assuming that the FCO and USA allow travel at the time of travel?
And that this is defined in their formal policy documents (what an agent says is worth nothing if it isnt backed up in the policy wording).
Only Staysure is my understanding. Certainly not the major players like Nationwide, Lloyds etc...
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Only Staysure is my understanding. Certainly not the major players like Nationwide, Lloyds etc...
Thanks for this.

So by implication, anyone who has booked a trip (like me) wont have medical cover unless they have used Staysure. Even if they are allowed to travel later in the year.

That means probably millions will be travelling without cover without even knowing it.

Thats quite worrying.

I havent arranged insurance as yet as I am covered for cancellation etc. But obviously need medical cover and would like to have that sorted soon.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

At this time, most people's risk is only around losing deposits so unless you are really worried about that, I would hold back on buying any insurance until closer to your departure. Things are likely to be much clearer by then around vaccinations, testing, etc and are likely to impact insurance costs as well as terms and conditions.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Thanks for this.

So by implication, anyone who has booked a trip (like me) wont have medical cover unless they have used Staysure. Even if they are allowed to travel later in the year.

That means probably millions will be travelling without cover without even knowing it.

Thats quite worrying.

I havent arranged insurance as yet as I am covered for cancellation etc. But obviously need medical cover and would like to have that sorted soon.
I can't imagine the horror of finding you are not covered when in the US. My husband was in celebration hospital for three days with cellulitis (£5k claim), and once needed antibiotics for an infection (doctor and meds around £300+).
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

There’s no way I’d travel to the US without medical cover. Even if you get lucky with Covid, you’re just a car accident or something similar from literally life-changing medical bills.

Having said that, we’re booked flights only so far for late April this year and presently have no insurance. I’ve not even looked into it yet as I’m fairly sure the flights will be cancelled.

How far forward does the FCO guidance not to travel run? Is it just in perpetuity until it is withdrawn? If I booked today for say September 2022, is the FCO advice not to travel, so no insurance possible until the advice is recinded?
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List