Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Jan 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I know changes have to be made but I do feel that we have had the best of WDW prior to this year and that many of us here will look back nostalgically. We had already decided that it could be quite a while before we return and at our age 70+ may not again. Just happy we did have our times there
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Given the American obsession with the car, I am *guessing* that a fairly low% of US guests used the service. Certainly when I've been in car rental queues over the years (before Alamo did the direct to garage service) the majority of people waiting to rent cars seemed to be American.

It does strike me that these changes seem to be based on the US visitor model. Americans get very little paid annual leave compared to us Brits - as such they visit for short trips (a week would be long, think 3-5 days as normal). Based on this, they will not notice too much of a difference. It's the overseas visitors - like us - who go for 2-3 weeks who will be hit hard in the pocket.
We know that 90% of visitors to Orlando - and Disney World - are Americans. So, yes, 90% of people in the car rental queues will be American. Maybe a bit more.

But equally 90% (maybe a little less) of the people using Magical Express would have been American.

As part of the Magical Express 'experience', Disney offered an enhanced feature for American domestic guests. They could drop off their luggage at their originating airport with a special label on it and it would be delivered directly to their hotel room; they wouldn't have to pick up their luggage at MCO. So there was additional convenience for Americans compared to international visitors. In getting rid of the Magical Express, Disney will be dropping this as well.

I can only assume the cost of running Magical Express was not worth the perceived benefit of capturing guests into the Disney bubble and enticing people to book an onsite stay. And, due to events in the last year, Disney are having to save money wherever they can so sacrifices have to be made.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
We know that 90% of visitors to Orlando - and Disney World - are Americans. So, yes, 90% of people in the car rental queues will be American. Maybe a bit more.

But equally 90% (maybe a little less) of the people using Magical Express would have been American.

As part of the Magical Express 'experience', Disney offered an enhanced feature for American domestic guests. They could drop off their luggage at their originating airport with a special label on it and it would be delivered directly to their hotel room; they wouldn't have to pick up their luggage at MCO. So there was additional convenience for Americans compared to international visitors. In getting rid of the Magical Express, Disney will be dropping this as well.

I can only assume the cost of running Magical Express was not worth the perceived benefit of capturing guests into the Disney bubble and enticing people to book an onsite stay. And, due to events in the last year, Disney are having to save money wherever they can so sacrifices have to be made.
These free perks would of been factored into the costs of your stay though, so free wouldn't exactly of been true. So basically they are on a cash grab anyway they can.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by KBRB View Post
They have removed nearly every single perk from staying on site in short order.

I’m glad this latest removal of EMH and the ME does not affect you but try to be a bit more understanding to those it does rather than calling people haters and moaners.

Also the train is well into being pushed back till 2023 it certainly won’t be ready to take over anything
so you have to take Uber for one year ( or 2 years ), not the end of the world

EMH and ME will effect me, but its a small blip, we will either hire the car from the airport ( my least fav option as i am always tired ) or take a Uber

EMH, we are over for 14 - 24 days, so EMH isnt that important, if you cannot get disney done a few times in 2 weeks, then go back another time, I always thought that EMH was aimed at the USA market anyway, as they are at WDW for maybe 3 days and can get more done with EMH ( infact due to that idea, we never did EMH in the morning due to leaving it to people who need it more than us )

The magic bands not being free is another one, they are going to cost $5 each, thats the same as a dole whip, once again, a very minor blip and not something i will be getting worked up about

People on here seem to forget this is a holiday, it really isnt that important if you have so adapt a little each trip, if you then decide its not for you, vote with your feet, stay in some cheap motel, stay in a universal hotel ( though both of them will mean you need to pay for disney parking / uber or rely on a coach transfer from park to hotel ( not even sure they do that anymore ? ? ? )

we know that disney are on a bit of a cash grab mission ( they have been for a few years now ) but when times are good thats what they will do, when times are bad, we can know incentives / perks will be back
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
These free perks would of been factored into the costs of your stay though, so free wouldn't exactly of been true. So basically they are on a cash grab anyway they can.
Yes, that's what I mean.

It was costing Disney to subcontract Mears to provide this and that cost was passed on to the customer. They'll no longer provide this but won't be reducing the price to stay onsite (I assume). Therefore the Disney park division gets to keep a bit more money to offset all the money they've lost over the last year.

They may be cutting costs wherever they can. That means getting rid of any benefits that cost them to run.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Remember Disney UK ( a separate company) could offer alternative incentives or transportation from MCO as part of their deals for 2022. For example, 14 day and 21 day tickets were a UK only special.

We will know more in April when they release the 2022 offers.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Again just curious... let’s go back to the 90s before DME, before FP, before EMH (not too sure when these started exactly). The good ol’ days. What did people complain about then?
Ah, but it was cheaper to stay at Disney back then.

Nowadays, to stay onsite costs significantly more than staying offsite at a similar standard of hotel. The benefits Disney introduced helped to offset the additional cost. And with the internet, its much easier nowadays to find and book different hotels in the area so its easier for people to see the alternatives.

Right now, I can't see what benefit staying at an onsite hotel will give you over staying at one of the offsite Disney Springs hotels. Both are close to the Dsiney magic, both offer continuous transport to the Disney parks, both will be accessible using the train (once it's built), etc. And it's cheaper to stay at the offsite hotels.

Don't get me wrong, many people will still stay at a Disney hotel just because it's Disney. Of course they will. But it will lead to a few people choosing to go elsewhere. Disney will lose some customers by doing this, albeit they think the impact will be relatively small (I assume that's what they think anyway).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm gutted that they're getting rid of the ME. This was a massive incentive for us - just that stress free journey from the airport to the hotel made a big difference to that whole experience for us!

I'm clinging onto hope of the free dining offer for 2022 stays! Come on Disney - you have to do something!
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Remember Disney UK ( a separate company) could offer alternative incentives or transportation from MCO as part of their deals for 2022. For example, 14 day and 21 day tickets were a UK only special.

We will know more in April when they release the 2022 offers.
Good point.

They could offer a coach transfer like many other travel companies do. And charge extra for that transfer like other travel companies do. It could potentially make more money for Disney. Meanwhile it'll cost us a bit more, albeit maybe only an extra £30pp more. And, for a family of 4, what's an extra £120 when they're paying thousands to stay onsite for 2 weeks?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 12 Jan 21, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Ah, but it was cheaper to stay at Disney back then.

Nowadays, to stay onsite costs significantly more than staying offsite at a similar standard of hotel. The benefits Disney introduced helped to offset the additional cost. And with the internet, its much easier nowadays to find and book different hotels in the area so its easier for people to see the alternatives.

Right now, I can't see what benefit staying at an onsite hotel will give you over staying at one of the offsite Disney Springs hotels. Both are close to the Dsiney magic, both offer continuous transport to the Disney parks, both will be accessible using the train (once it's built), etc. And it's cheaper to stay at the offsite hotels.

Don't get me wrong, many people will still stay at a Disney hotel just because it's Disney. Of course they will. But it will lead to a few people choosing to go elsewhere. Disney will lose some customers by doing this, albeit they think the impact will be relatively small (I assume that's what they think anyway).
I was only just into my teens in the late 90s and tbf we always stayed offsite as a family.

But I mean the general theme park experience on site or offsite. Was completely different back then. Possibly more relaxed and maybe less busy also...

But I also expect there were people complaining back then... maybe long q’s, or poor entertainment or something.

Things change and you will never be able to please everyone as every person is different with different priorities for their holidays.

But with a lot of the perks (and yes the inflated cost too)... people have been spoilt imho over recent times. That’s not to say that other things wont be round the corner which will be even better (or worse) than what is now.

I will continue to stay at Disney as I enjoy the experience in the bubble and the resorts. I have no doubt that Disney want to get as much money as possible out of me... but for most cases the experience I have means it is money well spent.

For what it’s worth I feel exactly the same about Universal.

Offsite hotels Disney area or not would do nothing for me and my family...

Edited at 02:03 PM.
miked1e is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List