Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jan 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
thepricefamily
Apprentice Imagineer

New Car Stolen - Beware Keyless Entry UPDATE post 37

I took delivery of my lovely new car on the 20th December, a brand new Honda Civic Type R, omg I loved it so much!
Anyway on Sunday evening DH and I were watching tv in our back room, knock at the door, (which is on the side of our house), police were there asking if we owned a Civic, and did we know where it was, “yes, on our drive”, no it wasn’t!
It had been last spotted in Liverpool where the police had chased it to but lost it - we live about 25 miles away.
I still have both keys, which I’d kept well away from the front door, but the thieves have used a scanner to hack the keys and steal the car. We think it must’ve been taken between 4 & 6pm, so not even in the night, how brazen?!
Just want to warn others that might have a keyless entry car to put their keys in the microwave or purchase a special blocking box and key holders. (They’re only about £20 on Amazon). I was naive and didn’t even know about scanners, let alone realise how far they work, apparently up to 50 metres, so even if the keys were in our greenhouse they could’ve still been hacked.
The police were lovely, but unfortunately nothing they can do but advise about security when the car is replaced. Still no sign of it, but I don’t want it back now anyway as it will be tainted. Just want insurance sorting and to get a replacement.
HRH Club Level & AKL Savannah Club Level 2020

Edited at 11:08 AM.
thepricefamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I'm sorry to hear this. Must be very upsetting. Not just a new car but the brazenness of it all.

Good advice on the scan proof boxes for car keys. Will look into it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So sorry to read this.

We were subjected to this too. Luckily they didn’t take the car just the contents, it was about 7 years ago. We have a Faraday box we keep our keys in now.

Mickey House is an expert on this subject. I’m not sure if they took his car in the end or just attempted.

Hope your insurance company sorts it quickly for you.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

How awful, so sorry. I know what you mean about not wanting the car back. There are some toe rags out there.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

So sorry to hear this. What scumbags!

We use the Faraday pouches for our keys, so we can use them wherever we park, taking the pouch with us, as often if we are out we may park near where we are going.

All keys have their own pouches including the spares and we regularly check they still work ok as they can get worn. I had to get a new one for my husband recently and it only cost £7.99 for a pack of two.

Must be such a shock for you having had the car taken like that and how awful having only just got it a well, particularly as you say you wouldn’t feel the same about it even if you get it back.

Hope you get whatever it takes sorted quickly.

Edited at 05:59 PM.
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

Whilst waiting on a faraday you can always bodge one together with some tin foil, wrap the keys completely and you're done, if you have more time then you can wrap a box or tin etc, for added security never leave your keys near a door, have them at the most central position in your house to limit the range on them.

Plenty of how to do it guides on tinterweb, up here we have loads of ST Fiestas go this way.
Old 6 Jan 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thepricefamily View Post
I took delivery of my lovely new car on the 20th December, a brand new Honda Civic Type R, omg I loved it so much!
Anyway on Sunday evening DH and I were watching tv in our back room, knock at the door, (which is on the side of our house), police were there asking if we owned a Civic, and did we know where it was, “yes, on our drive”, no it wasn’t!
It had been last spotted in Liverpool where the police had chased it to but lost it - we live about 25 miles away.
I still have both keys, which I’d kept well away from the front door, but the thieves have used a scanner to hack the keys and steal the car. We think it must’ve been taken between 4 & 6pm, so not even in the night, how brazen?!
Just want to warn others that might have a keyless entry car to put their keys in the microwave or purchase a special blocking box and key holders. (They’re only about £20 on Amazon). I was naive and didn’t even know about scanners, let alone realise how far they work, apparently up to 50 metres, so even if the keys were in our greenhouse they could’ve still been hacked.
The police were lovely, but unfortunately nothing they can do but advise about security when the car is replaced. Still no sign of it, but I don’t want it back now anyway as it will be tainted. Just want insurance sorting and to get a replacement.
Sorry to hear this it’s unfortunately common
Maybe when you buy a keyless car they should advise the customers
Xxx
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I am really sorry this happened to you - how distressing.

We got Faraday pouches for our Range Rover keys earlier this year as they are also desirable cars to steal. Shouldn't need to resort to measures such as this but this is sadly the world we live in.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

On some cars they don’t even bother doing the relay attack now, devices can unlock them without a key signal in some cases.
I’d be surprised if the Type R didn’t have the new type of keyless entry with the accelerometer in- Land Rovers do for example and when the key is not moved for a set period of time, it stops giving out the signal.
In my Tesla I have turned off keyless entry altogether, and have pin to drive enabled. So not only would they have to break in with no relay attack possible, but they’d have to know the pin I input on screen to enable the car to be driven. If it was stolen I can also track it on the app, switch on speed limit remotely, switch on valet mode, make the lights flash and horn sound.
Hope you get it sorted OP.
Old 6 Jan 21, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Sorry to hear this and I even made a thread about the faraday boxes and pouches (recommending people buy them). It’s a shame the dealers didn’t at the least mention to you how easy keyless entry cars are steal if the keys aren’t in faraway boxes or pouches.

Some people also buy the lockable security fence posts to make it much harder for the scum to steal cars. Unfortunately all new cars are worth nicking but thieves like faster cars as apart from having a higher value, they have more chance of getting away from police if being chased.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List