Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jan 21, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jpy10
Excited about Disney

indirect flights

Afternoon all,

apologies if this has been asked before,

Has anyone had any issues with indirect flights,

Have seen that I can half the price almost (6 Adults) but suppose been a bit dubious as the only other time I used a connecting flight (about 8 years ago) they left the luggage at the connecting airport,

cheers in advance.

Jason
Old 11 Jan 21, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

We ve only ever gone indirect to Florida due the the big saving
Only one issue where we missed a connection in Atlanta and had to overnight
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jpy10
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
We ve only ever gone indirect to Florida due the the big saving
Only one issue where we missed a connection in Atlanta and had to overnight
thats what i'm worried about, looking at NYC so only going for a week anyway...

thanks
Old 11 Jan 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
never had an issue and saved over a "Ł1000 last timre in 2018 that included night stop at lhr as we live in mcr. most american airlines geet you on the next flight lots of internals so no major issues. we clear customs on first stop so at MCO its straight to the hire car from domestic arrivals.
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

Did it once with no issues, will do it again if it saves some dosh
Old 11 Jan 21, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We have generally gone indirect in and direct out as the home leg always works out cheaper without APD.. Generally from Miami in order to see the Gulf on the way out, rather than as a day return. It has saved the four of us a fortune.

This has grown into proper dual centres with our point of arrival in the States forming a 3 or 4 days ‘extra experience’, before moving on to the primary target.

This then in turn grew in to multi centres with 4,5,6 or more different cities and a few days in each.

In order to deal with possible missed connections.. dual centre/multi centres make good sense as there are a few days between each flight.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
itz_baseline
Excited about Disney

We have never flown indirect. Lots of people do without issue, but every now and then you read a post where they’ve had a bit of a disaster and call out ‘never again’.

I guess it’s risk vs reward. Chances are you’ll be fine, but is it worth the extra for more piece of mind? For me I’d rather pay extra and fly direct from a local airport than risk missing a day or so of my holiday.
itz_baseline is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

We often do two stopovers so that we can fly from our local airport. Saves the trek to London airports.

More of the dramas have been on direct rather than indirect for us.

Usually use the stopover in the US get get immigration done and have a decent meal meaning when we get to the final location we can either just get some sleep without messing about for food or go out and do something.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

I won't lie we have missed connections going to Florida, luggage has missed a flight we have even missed the transatlantic connection coming home. Would I go indirect again - definitely for the right price.

My advice, aim for at least 3hrs connection on your way and 2 hrs on way back. Where luggage does miss a flight it usually gets delivered to your hotel a few hours later. We always just take some spare clothes in our hand luggage to get us started.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
luckystrikes
slightly serious Dibber

We are going indirect for the first time this year. Was a huge saving compared to direct as options out of Scotland aren't great and driving to Manchester/Newcastle ends up working out similar time wise.

I have flown to other countries indirect and having no bother so hoping this will be the same.
luckystrikes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List