Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jan 21, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile When a taxi would be cheaper.

Had a car in for its first mot today. Only done 295miles in 3 years! Got me thinking that alot of folk last year would have been better just getting a taxi (covid measures permitting) the amount of miles some people have done. Even in normal times I've had customers who use there car maybe 4 times a year. One customer never used there car but we still had to pick it up every year for service and mot.
Or better than a taxi, maybe the future will bring hourly car hire like Boris bikes. Maybe some towns do already?
Trusty ian is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trusty ian View Post
Had a car in for its first mot today. Only done 295miles in 3 years! Got me thinking that alot of folk last year would have been better just getting a taxi (covid measures permitting) the amount of miles some people have done. Even in normal times I've had customers who use there car maybe 4 times a year. One customer never used there car but we still had to pick it up every year for service and mot.
Or better than a taxi, maybe the future will bring hourly car hire like Boris bikes. Maybe some towns do already?
Car clubs (use of a car by the minute, hour or day) have been around for years; I remember friends of mine using them as far back as 15 years ago; they’ve been around longer than Boris Bikes.

Similar to parking spaces marked as disabled parking only, there are parking spaces marked as car club parking only too; they’ve also been around for years.

Very widespread in London; a search shows 900+ available vehicles within 5 miles of my house right now; not sure on other UK areas
como.uk/shared-mobility/shared-cars/what/

Edited at 11:58 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

We have a similar thing here in Jersey, you can rent an electric car or van by the hour/day etc. Just book it from the app on your phone and go to the nearest one. Great idea, never used it myself though.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

My car hasn't moved since 19th December and Dave's since Christmas Eve, I'm sure we are not unique at the moment.
Mine is going for her MOT next week, I reckon the mileage will be very low for this year.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

In our household we have three cars, mine, OH and daughter's, mine is predominantly for work then convenience in social times, if we go out as a family or as a couple it is always in OH car.

Due to the changes now in my work (WFH full time rather than just a couple of days a week and no move now to go back in the office) I said I would give it another year from last September (tax/insurance etc due September) and re-evaluate if I actually need a car and can get away with either taxis or car share with OH and daughter.

All I am really doing at the moment is just ticking over the car and the odd run out just to keep it moving and avoid a flat battery.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
We have a similar thing here in Jersey, you can rent an electric car or van by the hour/day etc. Just book it from the app on your phone and go to the nearest one. Great idea, never used it myself though.
I would definitely be up for this idea here, we do have work pool cars but to get to the pool car lot I would have to make a considerable journey to collect and return so would negate any benefit.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
My husband bought his car about 4 years ago when it was 17 years old, it had 25000 miles on the clock. It’s now 21 and has 32,000 miles on the clock. It’s a shed on wheels but it just keeps running 😂
Old 16 Jan 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Car clubs (use of a car by the minute, hour or day) have been around for years; I remember friends of mine using them as far back as 15 years ago; they’ve been around longer than Boris Bikes.

Similar to parking spaces marked as disabled parking only, there are parking spaces marked as car club parking only too; they’ve also been around for years.

Very widespread in London; a search shows 900+ available vehicles within 5 miles of my house right now; not sure on other UK areas
como.uk/shared-mobility/shared-cars/what/
I just looked on the website you looked and put in our postcode. I can hire a vauxhall vivaro van by the hour if I drive/or catch a bus then walk to the location.
So it's ok if you live in the city's then. 😂😂
I got my step daughters car mot done yesterday after posting up this thread. 372 miles since last mot.
She started learning to drive 12 months ago but her lessons have stop/started all throughout due to covid and we haven't had much opertunity to get her out practicing due to various lockdown rules.
Trusty ian is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Irish
Imagineer

Mobile

We have this in Dublin, it called Go Car and you can rent by the hour. Www.gocar.ie because I live in city centre I don't bother keeping a car so use gocar when I need to rent one, works out a lot cheaper each year
Old 17 Jan 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

My car was high mileage for its age but the past 12 year has helped bring it down. If I didn't need it for work I'd get rid and happily use a share scheme.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List