Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Dec 17, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Thanks for posting, I was going to be in early for work today and ended up reading your post (oh well). I have visited NY twice now - the first time was before 9/11 and it was foggy around the twin towers, I remember thinking "Oh well, I'll do those another time" . I did the crown in the SOL that time too (before the days of booking 6 months in advance). The second time I went was a couple of years ago with a friend and we visited the memorial which wasn't yet finished (the building bit). I found it moving to see the same sort of things as you did, plus where there were whole families just wiped out. On that day I was on training in Sun Microsystems and I remember we just stopped and watched the news websites and like "Shakira" we saw the second plane crash. Sun had a floor or 2 in the buildings so the next day had a few minutes of silence where we all gathered together. It was just awful and a day that those of use who are old enough will not forget .

I have to say that both you and Poot are much more cultured than I am. I tend not to go to museums unless they are engineering ones. Ok, I'd make an exception for the NH museum or a building that was itself a museum - like the Tower of London. Being dragged around various stately homes as a child was not my favourite past-time.

The second time I was in NY I ended up booking a hotel in NJ which turned out to be genius (if I do say so myself). We did our shopping at the mall full of designers next door to the hotel and getting in and out of NY was a breeze on the train under the river and cheap. The hotel was much cheaper than one in Manhattan and very very nice.
I dragged my friend to see "The Grinch" at Madison Square Gardens - I don't think she was impressed that was the "show" I picked.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 17, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
You must both have been a bit dazed the first few days in NYC. Poot tried to make an effort with the lion pose photo at the library. Did you make it to the map room? I imagine it's all a blur.

I'm not sure why a fully grown woman would be sobbing so blatantly about her cruise coming to an end, now I might have a little private sniffle but a full on 'look at me' oh dear, I would have wanted to mutter

I'm struggling to remember when I decided it was appropriate for DS to lavatory on his own in the mensroom ...I imagine he was about 7 or 8.

I seem to remember escalators coming up in the Boston/DC report...I don't think I've ever come across wooden escalators before though, I'm glad you both gave them the time and dedication they deserved.

It sounds like you had fun recreating scenes from night at the museum. I'm glad you made to the statue of liberty and Poot got to climb up to the top. We saw the sign too...there's nothing quite like that smug feeling you get is there?

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 17, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
It's weird to think of it as an historic event. I was a sophomore in college and watching a talk show when they broke in with the news. I was IMing my Mom to tell her what was being said because there were no TVs at her work and most websites were crashing. I saw the second plane hit, and the towers fall. It was unimaginable. I had to go student teach a PE class that day, at a school that decided not to tell the kids (!) What had happened. It was so hard to hula hoop and jump rope as if nothing had happened. I spent the day cutting red white and blue ribbons to hand out at campus. I couldn't donate blood as I was too small. (Shakira the Mauve no longer has that issue.)

It's one of those things you can't ever forget. And it's weird to think it will be as abstract to my daughter as Pearl Harbor was to me. Just a thing that happened, a memorial to visit.

Yes, I think Pearl Harbor is a good analogy. And I tried to tell myself that a lot of the thumbs-up selfie brigade were a) foreign and b) too young to really remember what that day was like.

Eek...hula hoops. A tough position for the school, though - I guess they figured parents would want to tell their children themselves?

...and please forgive me for laughing at "Shakira the Mauve no longer has that issue." I used to give blood every eight weeks, but in 2003 I had a bad draw and my whole arm went black and blue. So now I have extreme needle-phobia. No good deed goes unpunished!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
Thanks for posting, I was going to be in early for work today and ended up reading your post (oh well). I have visited NY twice now - the first time was before 9/11 and it was foggy around the twin towers, I remember thinking "Oh well, I'll do those another time" . I did the crown in the SOL that time too (before the days of booking 6 months in advance). The second time I went was a couple of years ago with a friend and we visited the memorial which wasn't yet finished (the building bit). I found it moving to see the same sort of things as you did, plus where there were whole families just wiped out. On that day I was on training in Sun Microsystems and I remember we just stopped and watched the news websites and like "Shakira" we saw the second plane crash. Sun had a floor or 2 in the buildings so the next day had a few minutes of silence where we all gathered together. It was just awful and a day that those of use who are old enough will not forget .

I have to say that both you and Poot are much more cultured than I am. I tend not to go to museums unless they are engineering ones. Ok, I'd make an exception for the NH museum or a building that was itself a museum - like the Tower of London. Being dragged around various stately homes as a child was not my favourite past-time.

The second time I was in NY I ended up booking a hotel in NJ which turned out to be genius (if I do say so myself). We did our shopping at the mall full of designers next door to the hotel and getting in and out of NY was a breeze on the train under the river and cheap. The hotel was much cheaper than one in Manhattan and very very nice.
I dragged my friend to see "The Grinch" at Madison Square Gardens - I don't think she was impressed that was the "show" I picked.

My brother and I were in New York in 1997 - and we said the same thing about the towers. It was REALLY hot - and I didn't want to schlep all the way downtown just to "look at more skyscrapers".

"Let's just buy a postcard and do it next time, OK?"

I actually found that postcard a couple of months ago - I held it in my hand for the longest time and then put it back in the drawer.

Thank you for the compliment (I do love a stately home ) - though I'm not sure how "cultured" I can claim to be, considering I inserted all the photos for the New York post...while half-watching...THE DARTS. I even stopped Dibbing in order to sing along to:

KISS is culture too, right?

I think what I like - and what I want Poot to appreciate (we'll see how well I do with that) - is seeing man EXCEL. Whether it's in art - or sport - or whatever.

R.C. totally does not get that I enjoy going to a baseball game and going to the opera IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. I think he sometimes gets bogged down in what people of certain classes/sorts are "supposed" to like.

Having said that, I think I'm with your friend on "The Grinch".

But I am DEFINITELY with YOU on the Jersey hotel. For Poot's first New York experience, though - I wanted it to be what I *think* he thought New York was. We paid $200 per night for our hotel - which I didn't think was too bad (especially considering we could cook every night). When R.C. and I stayed at the Library Hotel in early 2002, New York was still "bouncing back" - and the rooms were like $100 a night.

Sorry if I made you late for work. I don't deserve you, I really don't.
Old 15 Dec 17, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
You must both have been a bit dazed the first few days in NYC. Poot tried to make an effort with the lion pose photo at the library. Did you make it to the map room? I imagine it's all a blur.

I'm not sure why a fully grown woman would be sobbing so blatantly about her cruise coming to an end, now I might have a little private sniffle but a full on 'look at me' oh dear, I would have wanted to mutter

I'm struggling to remember when I decided it was appropriate for DS to lavatory on his own in the mensroom ...I imagine he was about 7 or 8.

I seem to remember escalators coming up in the Boston/DC report...I don't think I've ever come across wooden escalators before though, I'm glad you both gave them the time and dedication they deserved.

It sounds like you had fun recreating scenes from night at the museum. I'm glad you made to the statue of liberty and Poot got to climb up to the top. We saw the sign too...there's nothing quite like that smug feeling you get is there?

Even better than THAT smug feeling is the feeling you get on the RARE OCCASION that your husband realises that without your hyper-planning, he'd be shucks outta luck!

There was a funny story at the back of the Unofficial Guide to WDW - a wife had spent shedloads of time planning their family's Disney holiday - and her husband had kvetched about "spontaneity", etc...

But after one day in Magic Kingdom, he turned to her and said, "I've never been as attracted to you as I am right now."

Lol, in D.C. Poot was a fan of this:

...at Target. I believe he suggested its inventor "should get the Nobel Prize"! Bless. I hadn't made the connection, though - so bonus points to you (per usual!).

He is set on becoming a volcanologist - but I wonder if he'll end up in engineering.

...and yes, that day we visited the library just passed in a haze. When I looked at the photos, they did jog my memory - but not terribly well. I did remember what I had for LUNCH, though - greedy pig that I am. As to the Map Room...I have NO IDEA...let me ask Poot...

...OK...he says, "Of course we did. But people were working, so you wouldn't let me take pictures, Mother."

There you go!

As to the "scene" woman...I just...no. Words fail to describe how much I hate crying in public. But we met...more than a few people on the cruise who were into Disney in ways that made me...a little uncomfortable.

And thanks for the loo feedback. It was Animal Kingdom where the chap laid into me about sending Poot in alone...but I didn't think I was being "reckless"?

OK, sorry - more loo chat. Poot has gotten too tall for his jeans - so we went out yesterday to try and find a pair for him.

And we found a great pair at the Gap Outlet (in Hatfield). But as we were going up to pay, Poot said, "They're really comfortable - but it's kind of weird that they don't have a fly, isn't it?"

Huh?

Sure enough, they had a FAKE fly. Who makes size 14 jeans - for boys - yes, I checked () - without a fly?

We put them back. And as we were walking out the door Poot said, "I wouldn't want to be like that guy I saw in Spain."

Me: WHAAAT?

Him: In the men's room at that Spanish Aire there was a man standing at the urinal with his trousers around his ankles. Maybe his trousers had no fly.

Me: Daddy was with you that time, right?
Old 15 Dec 17, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

I'm yet to go to New York so I really enjoyed this, lots of ideas for the boy if I let him come along

9/11 still feels like some awful dream in a way - it was the first, fully-televised disaster that I ever saw (maybe first ever?) and it was almost like a film. I found the transcripts of the phone calls made to loved ones the most upsetting. Selfies at memorials ugh.

Anyway, I love all the book-related detail in your reports! I'm obsessed with buying books for DS. Got paid today and have already ordered 3! The Morgan Library sounds wonderful and has definitely made it onto my to do list.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 17, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
MHM
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Thanks for sharing April! I love your reports. I'm sorry I don't comment anywhere near as much as I should. 😳

But as I'm here:
Your pirate name is:
Mae "Bawdy Boatswain" Greep
"The Fury of Mystery Coast!"
This pirate be the angriest pirate of all the seven seas"

Oh dear!
MHM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
I'm yet to go to New York so I really enjoyed this, lots of ideas for the boy if I let him come along

9/11 still feels like some awful dream in a way - it was the first, fully-televised disaster that I ever saw (maybe first ever?) and it was almost like a film. I found the transcripts of the phone calls made to loved ones the most upsetting. Selfies at memorials ugh.

Anyway, I love all the book-related detail in your reports! I'm obsessed with buying books for DS. Got paid today and have already ordered 3! The Morgan Library sounds wonderful and has definitely made it onto my to do list.

I'm with you, sister.

And if you've never been to New York - you definitely SHOULD go. Despite his first reaction Poot ended up having a great time - and wants to go back. And I did enjoy it more seeing things through his eyes. Aw.

I think what affected me most as all the stories about September 11th started to come out were the heroes of Flight 93. I remember when Poot started to ask about that day - after seeing references to it in the paper, etc..and I just couldn't get words out when it got to Flight 93. No Greater Love, indeed.

WELL - on that happy note - many thanks for your comments. It was not my intention to bring up terrible memories for people - but it's interesting to see what we were all doing and what we thought/felt, too.
Old 15 Dec 17, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MHM View Post
Thanks for sharing April! I love your reports. I'm sorry I don't comment anywhere near as much as I should. 😳

But as I'm here:
Your pirate name is:
Mae "Bawdy Boatswain" Greep
"The Fury of Mystery Coast!"
This pirate be the angriest pirate of all the seven seas"

Oh dear!

Ooh, I think you're our first "Bawdy"...hubba hubba, I like it.

We made pirate hats (and a waistcoat for Poot) for our cruise's "Pirate Night" - and I told my DH that if we ever do another Disney cruise...I'm going to personalise our buccaneer gear with our new pirate names. He was thrilled.

And you're right - you SHOULD comment more.

We are a very friendly bunch in this thread - and usually have lots of fun in the comments. So don't be a stranger!
Old 15 Dec 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I think what affected me most as all the stories about September 11th started to come out were the heroes of Flight 93. I remember when Poot started to ask about that day - after seeing references to it in the paper, etc..and I just couldn't get words out when it got to Flight 93. No Greater Love, indeed.
Yes, it was the phone calls from people on the flight, knowing they were about to make their move - I'm welling up just thinking about it. Have you seen the film about it, United 93? Heartbreaking.

Sorry, must stop bringing up sad memories!
Back to wooden escalators and happy things seriously though, those escalators looked very cool!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List