Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 1 Jan 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
lottie89
Imagineer

Lottie & Dickie visit Mickey - Oct 2016 - Day 9: Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, HHN

<<< Day 8 - Epcot & California Grill

Day 9 - Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, Halloween Horror Nights

Saturday 16th October 2016

Our alarm went off at 5.30am today! Suffice to say we were very tired.

We packed our cases and were out of the room by 6.30. As we were only going to Universal for one night, we left our cases with bell services to transfer to the Grand Floridian, and took a smaller bag with us. We were sad to be leaving the Yacht Club, it had served us well. The location is amazing.

We didn’t have to wait too long for an Uber, and soon we were pulling up at the Royal Pacific Resort! This resort is so shiny and clean and smelled amazing. We were pleased to find that our room was already available, so we were able to go up and dump our stuff before heading out. I haven’t written down where our room was but I remember it wasn’t too far from the lobby, which was handy.

Early morning in the room

We were on our way to Universal Studios by 7.30am! I was SO excited to see Diagon Alley and it didn’t disappoint. The attention to detail, the music, the atmosphere – it’s theming at its best. Rich isn’t a Harry Potter fan (as in, he likes it but isn’t a super fan like me), but he was also really impressed. As we were so early it wasn’t too crowded either which was lovely.

Early morning

Just like being at home

We made our way straight down to Gringotts, and only had to queue for 10 minutes which was a great start to the day. The ride is fantastic, and really well done, but I think Forbidden Journey just pips it for me.

Goblins at work

After the ride we explored Diagon Alley for a bit, and had a look in the wonderfully spooky Knockturn Alley, before making our way to Platform 9 and ¾ to catch the Hogwarts Express. The morning haze had lifted by now and it was getting sunnier, which was nice.

Arriving at Kings Cross was super weird, when you see it so often at home!

Diagon Alley

Love this view

The Hogwarts Express was fantastic, and such a fun and magical way to get to the other park. I was really in my element, any tiredness from the morning forgotten.

Looks like I'm delivering a newspaper

This was almost freaky

And we're off

We were getting peckish now so on arrival at Hogsmeade we looked for a snack but had trouble finding anything – I think in the end we shared a croissant, but not until we’d ridden Forbidden Journey! Love this ride and the amazing queue, it was almost a shame that we walked through it so quickly.

I love the snow

Hogwarts <3

We couldn’t open our locker when we came out, which was really annoying. Not a fan of the locker system at all, it was such a scrum.

Next up was the red Duelling Dragon which was great fun. This ride has since closed so I’m glad we went on it.

After nice wander exploring Hogsmeade some more, we finally left and made our way to Jurassic Park, where happily, we didn’t get too wet.

I'm not sure who took this

Rich's excellent scared face

The crowds were starting to build up a bit more and we were really appreciating our FOTLP. They are totally worth the cost of a night in one of the hotels.

By now Rich was getting hangry so before we did anything else, we had a pepperoni pizza at the Comic Strip Café. I’m not sure what time it was but I’m sure it wasn’t lunchtime yet. Despite the restaurant not being very busy, the service was sooooo slow. We ended up spending longer in there than we’d hoped to.

Can't rotate this on Google Photos so you can have it this way

Doesn't really look like he wishes you were here

Pepperoni pizza (in case it wasn't obvious)

Suitably fed, it was time to get wet. We started with Bilge Rat Barges and moved onto Ripsaw Falls. No matter how hot it is, I don’t think having soaked through clothes is ever pleasant, so we wore ponchos. Rich didn’t want to wear one but I persuaded him to as I knew he’d be moaning later if he didn’t. They kept us pretty much totally dry, except for our feet, which were now squelchy and soaking wet.

We rode Spiderman next, which is a great ride and really well done. Universal has so many rides of this format now, which I think shows a lack of imagination. They’re still fun though.

Spiderman selfie

It was starting to spit a little bit now so we took cover on the teacups style ride by Hulk. I was told off for filming! Oops.

By the time we got off the ride, the sun had returned and it was finally time to ride the Hulk! It was AMAZING. So smooth, fast and fun, plus it’s a decent length.

The long day was starting to catch up with us now and we were getting quite tired. We marched on and rode The Cat in the Hat ride which is super cute.

After finishing our lap of the park we caught the Hogwart’s Express in the other direction, which was also brilliant. Back at Universal, we didn’t do anything else, just headed straight back to the hotel for a nap, after asking a staff member what time we needed to get back for HHN (4.30pm).

The original plan was to have a bit of pooltime, but we were so tired that a nap was the priority

Think he just wanted to get back for his nap now

We got back to the room at about 2.45pm, and fell straight asleep for a short hour, then it was up and out again!

I put on my Halloween top which I had had delivered to the Yacht Club (it said ‘I’m just here for the boos’ which a picture of a ghost on it). I was starting to get really nervous for HHN now!

Pretending to be excited but actually really quite scared

We were back at Universal by 4.30pm, and had time to ride Despicable Me and Rip Ride Rocket before the park closed to get ready for HHN. I had looked up the secret codes for RRR but forgot to check them before we rode, so we both listened to Sabotage by the Beastie Boys.

It was now time to head to the holding area for HHN, and I could no longer be in denial about the fact this was really happening. We chose the Simpsons area as we wanted to eat there, but it took us ages to get there because we kept being sent in different directions.

We shared a Krusty Burger and some chicken tenders which were both fairly tasty and filled us up. I was in need of alcohol now so we headed to the bar and both got souvenir refillable cups, Rich’s containing Duff and mine containing a cocktail called Chance’s Kiss.

As we were drinking, people were starting to walk past us so Rich said we should follow them, I was reluctant and wondering why I had even signed up to this.

Krusty Burger

Chicken tenders

Moe's Tavern

Happy with my cocktail

Before I knew it we were in the queue for our first house, which was Halloween II. I can’t even tell you how scared I was. I’d created an irrational scenario in my head in which a murderer got a job at Universal then swapped out his fake knife for a real one and went on a stabbing spree.

Accurate

I didn’t have too much time to dwell on this as we had fastpasses which meant that within a few minutes we were heading into the house.

Good GOD it was terrifying – the swooshy knife sounds were not good for my nerves. I can’t tell you how relieved I was to see daylight when we came out the other end.

I think this is a face of relief

I needed a breather but Rich just led us straight to the next house! It was Tomb of the Ancients, and while it was scary it was not as bad as being chased by men with knives. I just about managed to register that the theming was great.

Again, I wanted a break, but Rich insisted we keep going ‘to beat the queues’ (WE HAVE FASTPASSES). So next up was a 3D house, Lunatic’s Playground. This house was really trippy, and actually was verging on fun, although I did get jumped out at a lot.

I STILL wasn’t allowed a break, and before I knew it was was freaking out in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre house. I put my foot down after those awful chainsaw sounds and was finally allowed another, much needed, alcoholic beverage.

While we finished our drinks we wandered through the Fisherman’s Wharf scare zone, this wasn’t too scary as there was still some light in the sky.

We went on a ride next, The Mummy. I was so happy not to be going into a house, but still couldn’t escape scarers by the lockers!

Nice

It was now time for our next house, which was Ghost Town. I was a bit more in the groove now, and had got used to the format of the houses, so while it was scary I was actually starting to have a bit more fun. The ghost town theme was really great as well.

We quickly followed this house with the Walking Dead. We don’t watch the programme so I’m sure it’s a bit more immersive with the context, but it was still very good (and scary).

Again, no breaks allowed, so it was Krampus next. This one was Christmas themed and more weird than scary. I really enjoyed the Christmas theme.

YAY drink time again. I went for a double vodka!

Maybe a bit tipsy now

We got in the queue for the American Horror Story queue next. It was sooo long, the standby was showing as 150 mins, and the fasttrack was 40 mins. We decided to get in it anyway and drink our drinks, but it turns out there was no fasttrack queue at all and we ended up having to down our drinks outside the door before going in!

The AHS queue that we didn't have to wait in

We hadn’t watched any AHS beforehand, but it was still very scary and it was also very long. I was worried I was trapped in it forever.
We watched the first series when we got home and the music still gives me chills because it reminds me of that house!

We then rode RRR again, but this time with the secret codes. I listened to the Jackon 5 and Rich chose Barry White. This was sooo much fun. Listening to great music, a bit tipsy, and seeing the lights of the park around us. A really memorable ride.

I can't remember when exactly in the night, but I know we spent some time in the scare zones which were brilliant at night, especially the 50s high school themed one.

Freaky statue

It was finally time for the last house, which was the Exorcist. I thought this was going to be awful but it wasn’t too scary, it was more like walking through a few scenes from the film.

I was really proud of myself by the end. It was scary but ended up being fun scary – I would definitely go again!

Next up we went to the 10pm showing of Bill & Ted. It was funny-ish but more geared towards Americans. Plus a load of Trump supporters starting cheering, including the people next to us, and I cringed heavily. I couldn’t believe there were so many people there who seemed to be proud of supporting such a buffoon.

Despite getting really quite tired, we were determined to do a few rides, so we went on the Simpsons and Men in Black. We really were shattered by now, so via a quick look at Diagon Alley at night, we headed back.

It had been a long night and we were quite hungry so we ended up stopping at Panda Express in Citywalk. I just had a small orange chicken but Rich went for a huge proper meal.

My orange chicken

Rich's midnight feast

We were back in the room by 12.30am, absolutely whacked out. I think we did about 45,000 steps.

I regret only booking one night at Universal – when I cancelled Four Seasons and extended our YC stay from 6 nights to 8 nights, I should’ve actually extended it to 7 nights and added a night at Universal.

However, we still managed to have an incredible day and got sooo much done. I would 100% recommend buying Fasttrack if you only have one night. We barely queued at all.

As you might imagine, we slept like logs!

Spends
Uber to RPR: $13.45
Everything else: No idea! I've been relying on my Disney pdf bill for the others

Day 10 - US, IoA, Epcot Hen & Stag >>>
California ~ 2015

Edited at 09:06 PM.
lottie89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

Yay another day up! I felt nervous just reading about horror nights! Really don't think I could do it! We always spend far longer at Disney but I actually think I almost love Universal more, such a good vibe and obviously the Harry Potter areas are everything. Love your food choices, sometimes nothing is better than quick service, particularly panda express, absolute fave. Love the Simpsons food court too. Thanks for posting!
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

My hunby and elfest son did horror night last year. I was happy to stay with the 2 little ones. Well done for doing it! Enjoying reading your report😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyme
Excited about Disney

What a full- on day!

RPR is such a gorgeous hotel

Totally agree about HHN- I was terrified initially too but after a few houses I found it to more jumpy than scary.
disneyme is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 18, 01:19 AM  
Link to this Post
racheydisney
Excited about Disney

Lottie your real murderer fear in HHN is literally what I think about ALL the time

Looks like you had an amazing time and definitely made use of your stay! The room looks beautiful, really want to stay here!

Loving your report as usual, can't wait to read more

xx

September 2019 - 10 night family trip
racheydisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List