Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 25 Mar 19, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I disagree, she cannot stand for long or walk normal distances so if the situation is the same when they go a DAS pass is entirely appropriate.
DAS is issued for all kinds of situations , for example a guest with ASD with normal mobility but issues or poor tolerance with long queues , anxiety, proximity etc would also qualify.

The OP should read the conditions for DAS for herself though.
I've read posts from a few other dibbers who have had a das pass for mobility issues. It might be worth posting on the special needs board to see if there are others with experience.

My dh has mobility issues, he point blank refused to use a mobility scooter or wheelchair last time we went and didn't think to ask for a Das. This was a mistake as he had to miss out later in the holiday as he was in pain. I'm not sure whether he'll see things differently next time. It's a very personal choice when you have struggled to retain independence with a disability.

I haven't really got anything constructive to say but I do sympathise with you and your daughter. I think if there's any chance you could get her to be open to using a scooter. It's the walking day after day when in pain which is very draining for someone with mobility issues.

you're in a great location close to everything which I'm sure will help, I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

Try pointing out, gently, that knowing she is in pain walking will worry all of you and that either a scooter or wheelchair would mean you can all relax and enjoy the holiday knowing that she is ok! Hiring in the parks is expensive but there are loads of companies off site that can help. If she would prefer a scooter make sure you can get one that comes apart if you want to take it in a car but if you are using it on Disney transport it is not difficult and there are people to help. Hope it all goes well!
Old 25 Mar 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Having a similar issue deciding what’s best all round for myself. Had surgery on a double leg break in November and I’m still not quite walking.

Gonna leave it until as late as possible to decide on scooters and stuff though. My recovery has been slow steps...but then all of a sudden I achieve the next step on recovery out of the blue. The fact that I don’t go till September is promising to me. I’m not naive and know how exhausting Disney is but if I need to rest I need to rest. I’m going with a first timer so he’ll know no better.

Your daughter just has to be honest with herself and maybe bite the bullet in order to get the most from the holiday.

All the best!
Old 25 Mar 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Toff Princess
Getting Excited

Toff Princess's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 21
Rent a wheelchair or mobility scooter but make sure even the wheelchair is electric as speaking from experience having been in a wheelchair myself it is so tiring when you have to get around all day! I used to give up and DH had to push me and this was not even in Disney but around town here!
Old 25 Mar 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I disagree, she cannot stand for long or walk normal distances so if the situation is the same when they go a DAS pass is entirely appropriate.
DAS is issued for all kinds of situations , for example a guest with ASD with normal mobility but issues or poor tolerance with long queues , anxiety, proximity etc would also qualify.

The OP should read the conditions for DAS for herself though.
I thought, might be wrong, that Disney had made all the lines for attractions wheelchair accessible so if the OPs daughter is using a wheelchair then Disney will not issue a DAS pass purely on the grounds of mobility issues. If a person is using a wheelchair but has other hidden disabilities such as ASD then they will issue a DAS pass. I think this was brought in to stop people just hiring a wheelchair and getting a DAS pass.

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

From reading the op post, a wheelchair or ecv sounds the best option, Disney have made the lines very wheelchair accessible and for that you wouldn’t not need a das. It does sound like a mobility issue , and whether she has trouble standing and walking that would come under mobility.
I’m currently recovering from knee surgery myself , and I have trouble walking and standing, but I wouldn’t be asking for a das , I would go the wheelchair option .
Disney are very accommodating , and the wheelchair lines are easily identified and sounds like it may benefit you? , that way she can stand or sit dependant on how she is feeling on the day, and it’s great for hanging bags on the handles to lol

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Yes the DAS pass is not issued for mobility issues where a scooter or chair can be used, the attractions are accessible. After pushing a friend round in a manual wheelchair at Disneyland Paris I'd definitely recommend a scooter instead.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’d recommend hiring a 3 wheel scooter - like the GoGo - from an offsite company. They’re much easier to manoeuvre in the parks & much lighter than the park rentals. They can be assembled in a few minutes as well.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My husband suffered a very bad cut to his lower leg with an angle grinder. He also could not walk far or stand on his leg when we went to Disney the same year.

We hired a mobility scooter - pick one with a battery pack that can be removed and charged. We used to charge it overnight in the hotel room and the scooter stayed in the car.

All parks were fantastic with parking and the staff were great in the parks. It was very strange but it made the holiday happen, otherwise we would not have gone. My youngest son used to hop on and have a lift sometimes too! There are lots of reasons why people use scooters, especially for injuries rather than disabilities.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

We've used Apple Scooters in the past for my dad and they were great. They also have (certainly used to have anyway) a disney approved status so they were able to come to the parks if there were any issues.