Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Apr 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

Originally Posted by Laura_<3 View Post
No you have to take everything with you and you can't come back.

We managed (just!) between us last year with 3 suitcases, 3 hand luggage bags, a Boots carrier bag, a big pillow and a 22 month old
I went back down the stairs once as my wife had left the buggy folded by mistake at the bottom to the side when we were lugging all the cases.

Probably shouldn’t have done it but wasn’t challenged at the time.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

A good test is that if you can manage your luggage from car to checkin without a trolley, you should be able to manage it up the escalator.
We work in terms of available hands, and items that require a hand. If you have as many hands as you have items you should be fine. (This was 3 suitcases and a child between 2 of us for us for a few trips.)
I always use a rucksack for my carry on, this can be carried on both shoulders (like the uncool kids). It won't slide off and it frees up both hands.
We also take 2 minutes off to the side in the luggage hall and get our luggage ready for running the gauntlet of 2nd bag drop.
We put any loose "bags 'o' crap" from duty free into a case. Any luggage we need to prop on top of another (car seat) is done when nobody was policing us and in such a way that it could be held in place as we passed "the man". If you look like you're struggling, that's when they strike ! So we try and avoid that look. We now have a 2nd Daughter, who is 4, but the eldest is now 12, so doesn't need her hand holding anymore, and she literally pulls her weight !

The two biggest differences come from rucksacks for carry on to free up hands, and consolidating before you move from the carousel.
Old 8 Apr 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
'Add a bag' straps are a Godsend! I can take 2 cases and 2 cabin bags on my own up the escalator.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

As a family we've been many times (not up there with Tom but still a lot).

We've never bothered with lugging out cases and just stick it on the second luggage belt, yes sometimes it takes a while but you are on holiday and there is a Starbucks right next to where you pick up the case.

In my view the stress of yomping around with multiple cases, kids and tiredness just isn't worth the pain
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Don't forget you won't just be getting the luggage up the escalator. You also have to get on the monorail and across to the main terminal without a trolley. I believe there are trolleys after you exit the secure area but definitely not before.
Old 9 Apr 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

I’ve always used the second bag drop and never had any issues. There are signs everywhere telling you which direction to go, and by the time you’ve had a quick stop at the loo and got the monorail the case aren’t that far behind. I’d much rather do the second bag drop than risk injuring one of my party trying to get heavy suitcases up escalators when no-one has a free hand to hold on with!
Old 9 Apr 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Merryweather View Post
I’ve always used the second bag drop and never had any issues. There are signs everywhere telling you which direction to go, and by the time you’ve had a quick stop at the loo and got the monorail the case aren’t that far behind. I’d much rather do the second bag drop than risk injuring one of my party trying to get heavy suitcases up escalators when no-one has a free hand to hold on with!
You seem to meander over to collect your cases, so a few minutes are neither here nor there. If somebody is of the rush rush rush mentality, they may perceive it differently. I would say that the second bag drop is normally not too bad, so if you have to use it don't expect a nightmare, just be aware that the odd nightmare does crop up.

As for the injury risk, you make a good point, which becomes more valid as people talk of straps to enable them to manage multiple cases. I suppose I've subconsciously decided I am happy with the risk and prefer to trust myself to hold 2 cases and stand up that I would trust MCO to not take forever with our bags. That said the one time we did use the bag drop htrough naivety we were on the receiving end of about a 20 minute hold up. The 2nd belts were stopped, and after a moan, they restarted them and our buggy popped straight out.
Old 9 Apr 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Merryweather View Post
Maybe you misunderstood. I don't carry the cases up the escalator. I just step onto it towing the cases behind me and the escalator does the rest. Same on the monorail. This system works fine at MCO and Tampa. I can only tell you what works for me and mine, you know best what will work for you and your family.
Old 9 Apr 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Maybe you misunderstood. I don't carry the cases up the escalator. I just step onto it towing the cases behind me and the escalator does the rest. Same on the monorail. This system works fine at MCO and Tampa. I can only tell you what works for me and mine, you know best what will work for you and your family.
Thats exactly what I do albeit we have the 'push along' cases. I use the add a bag straps to attach the cabin bags onto the tops of those cases and they stand each side of me on the escalator.

Prior to my Wifes shoulder operation all she could manage was her handbag so it was me to manage the cases or use the lift.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
JCT-UK
Dancing with Tink'

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Thats exactly what I do albeit we have the 'push along' cases. I use the add a bag straps to attach the cabin bags onto the tops of those cases and they stand each side of me on the escalator.
Similar method here. Wife gets on escalator with case on step behind her, the son with case behind him then me at the back with my case behind me.

Never had a problem. Doing it this way
JCT-UK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List