Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Apr 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

Exactly - I need at least 15 and this stuff is too expensive to waste because your not sure what to do!
Old 9 Apr 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsL
Helping Mickey

I understand your frustration at potentially wasting medicine but say an unthinkable situation occurred and your stay was significantly lengthened. If you ran out of insulin the consequences could at worst be dire, at best very expensive accessing insulin in the US

Edited at 10:54 PM. Reason: Typo
MrsL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
As stated earlier, Insulin is fine out of refrigeration for 28 days.

For years I never chilled mine for the journey and had no issues, but in recent years, I have been using the Frio packs with no issues. I always make the security guys aware it is in there, and sometime they ask me to take it out and go through out of my rucksack (Manchaster), but usually, they are not worried and it stays in the backpack (LHR & LGW).

In regards to a Dr's letter, I always carry one along with a copy repeat prescription, but have NEVER been asked for it.

I always take extra Insulin as dosages are not always predictable due to a different diet and activity level and I cannot run out, but I do find I use less in Florida due to being more active and less sedentary.
Old 10 Apr 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Another here that uses the Frio pouches, no problem
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tansy
Earning My Ears

Hi,

We use the Frio pouches but do not 'activate' them until we arrive in Florida. Are people saying that they 'activate' them prior to the flight? I've often wondered if this could be done.

Thanks.
tansy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Merryweather View Post
the conflicting information on this issue is unbelievable! I've been advised by both Diabetes UK and Virgin that I must have a letter from my Doctor to take my insulin and needles on board and also not, under any circumstances, to put the insulin in my hold luggage (something I would never do anyway) as it can freeze! I've also been told to take more than I would actually need (x2) but I'm going for 21 days and if I can't keep the insulin cold it is wasted! The other advise I got from my medical team was to take it in a cool bag with a gel pack - according to the above this is not acceptable!
It is very confusing. We always take a letter from our diabetic clinic and also take double if everything (carried onboard otherwise it could freeze)
So we have her usual kit (meter, pen, needles etc) which my daughter carries.
Then we have a spare meter, spare insulin, spare pens (her rapid injection is not prefilled but her lantus is) spare needles, Keto meter & test strips. My husband carries this in a medical bag (basically a draw string bag, brightly coloured with our mobile number in case it gets lost)
Last year we had to take all our spare insulin, lantus pre filled pens out of their prescribed boxes and place them with no box inside clear bags. It was a pain to be honest and took a while but we just got on with it.
I would 100% take extra and spare, our daughters meter decided to give up on one trip!
And with the heat her bloods are all over the place so we used different amount of insulin plus bloods were needed to be tested much more often.
The cost of diabetic test strips and equipment etc is outrageously expensive over there so safer to just take extra.

I forgot to add. We do use a small frilo (sorry if that’s spelt wrong, I always forget the name of the cooling pouches) in the parks because the insulin gets really hot (we go summer)
X

Edited at 05:12 PM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Travelled for 40+ years as a child & adult with insulin, needles, syringes, bottles, strips, pens etc on domestic, European & US flights (300-400 flights?); never used Frio pouches & all ok.
Never made it known that I’m carrying the above nor removed them from my bag at security or X-Ray etc & have yet to have any of it queried or noticed.
We never had an issue until last year. During X ray at Manchester last year we as pulled to one side and requested a letter and told to empty all the insulin out of their boxes and had to place them in clear bags. They also double checked the needles.
The was quite abrupt too as if we was causing an issue.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
joanne42
Getting Excited

My DH normally just takes a copy of repeat prescription never been asked for it.we always take a frio pouch which we activate once going out and about as had an issue one summer when forgot and insulin got to hot and was not effective,DH always adjust doses as well to allow for time difference when taking fast and slow acting on way out and return, always put in clear plastic bag carry majority of needles just put a few in case(lost cases last year so would of been a problem if all in there) blood tester is a must as heat really plays havoc with his levels

Edited at 08:21 PM.
joanne42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
stevekath
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
We never had an issue until last year. During X ray at Manchester last year we as pulled to one side and requested a letter and told to empty all the insulin out of their boxes and had to place them in clear bags. They also double checked the needles.
The was quite abrupt too as if we was causing an issue.
We travel from Manchester and have always been a bit surprised a how uninterested they have been in DH's meds and insulin. The only time they've shown any interest whatsoever was last year when they asked us the take the Frio pack out of the hand luggage. They saw it on the x-ray and wanted to know what it was. Didn't want to see the letter, even though we offered it

stevekath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Do do do take a letter with you stating you are carrying syringes for medical reasons. I have rarely been asked for it but once I was in Toulouse, once at CDG and one particularly unpleasant time at Gatwick in the VA boarding area. It was unpleasant because the guy asking was officious and said without a note I would be unable to get on the plane.

I’ve never taken a Frio wallet

I always take at least double the amount I need - just in case

My final precaution is to split supplies across two different people’s hand luggage

Never ever ever in hold luggage.