Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 22 Apr 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gward View Post
Probably 1 😀

An off-site restaurant is $100 for 4 people with drinks.
It is possible, we rarely spend more than $30 (including tax) for meals for two to include main course and tea or coffee at places like Perkins, Bob Evans Ihop or Culvers. Even less if we have BOGOF vouchers, especially good value at First Watch!
Old 22 Apr 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
coinneach
Imagineer

We buy brisket, pulled pork and sirloins tips which costs between $7 to $10 a packet and this will be enough for 4 nights for 2 of us.
Publix will have BOGOF each week, and we buy packeted mashed potatoes, macaroni cheese for $8 (4 packs).
So, for around $40 we will have main course meals for 2 for at least 4 nights which is quite good value.
coinneach is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

We spent $111 per day last year. This was for everything we bought, food petrol, car parking and cabana at beach, some photo frames to take home etc.
This was for our family. Two adult and two young kids.
I did budget $200 per day for this year just to give me a nice margin.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We spend about $200 a week as a family of 5. We don’t budget and choose things we see on the spur of the moment too, plus alcohol for DH. We have some meals out, a few special onsite Disney meals plus all the other goodies! So we like the kids to eat plenty of fruit and salad to balance it out. We have breakfast in the villa and usually dinner/tea as the kids enjoy the pool in the evening. We shop at Walmart and could easily halve the cost if we wanted, you need to look for the cheaper options (Walmart’s own cereal, bread, pop tarts, etc. and compare fruit prices).
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by rjhsteel View Post
How many people was that for?
2 adults
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Last year, wee had 9 nights in a villa with four of us (all adults), and we spent around $180 in Publix on a "big shop" on the day we moved across from Disney, then a couple of visits to pick up bread, sandwich fillings, milk and fruit, so probably around $240-ish.

Over this time, we ate out twice in Disney (as we had given up our Mousekeeping when at AS Music for 2 $50 gift cards), and treated ourselves to a meal at Mannny's steakhouse, so had 6 evening meals in the villa, plus breakfast each morning and lunches (we took sandwiches with us into the parks). We did buy a few of the family style meals at Publix, which were good value at around $10 and were quite large portions.

As others have mentioned, it's a bit of a shock the prices in the supermarkets - bread was around £2.30 a loaf, packet of ham or cheese around £5, but balanced out with some cheaper options such as pizza and the aforementioned family size meals.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!

Edited at 08:55 PM.
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am American and shop almost exclusively at Whole Foods. I do not eat meat. I live alone in an apartment but my two preschool grandchildren live in the main house so they often have fruit snacks at my house. My grandson will easily down two bananas, a good part of a quart of blueberries or a couple of clementines for a snack.

I have been spending under $45./week during the quarantine but that includes a tip for the delivery person. Other times, I am closer to $50. but have not been eating as much seafood as usual.

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on food, walk past the junk food,skip the overpriced and unnutritious cereals. Buy what you would buy at home. No one needs poptarts and fruit loops.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have 2 adults 2 teens - we mix where we eat between cheaper places e.g sweet tomatoes and others. I’d normally budget $1000 per week (we go for 4 weeks).
This also includes other activities e.g clothes shopping and we always come back with money and feel as though we’ve done what we want.
Old 24 Apr 20, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

If you are on a budget and cook for yourself with an occasional meal out, I doubt you would spend more than $200 to 300 for a week's groceries and that is eating well and healthy.

I think the Op is asking about a budget trip and how much it coasts to eat in, not how much it's possible to spend. When I go with my DD we budget $100./day for everything staying on site. We often share meals because we have fairly small appetites and don't like to waste food. When I go out to dinner with my kids and their spouses (5 adults, usually), the bill us usually under $100. with tip. My son and his wife like to try craft beer so that bill will usually include a beer for each of them or they will share a flight.

Cooking at home is much less. For a meal, I would figure $10. for a protein (I don't eat meat so that is a guess), maybe $2. for a starch (not a prepared from a box starch) and $1.-2. for a vegetable.

Other meals should be less. pound of ham can range from $4./pound to $10./pound if you get Boars Head (worth the money). A loaf of bread in less than $5. and condiments vary.

I would think breakfast would be less than $10. for the meal so all three meals are less than $50./day.

Where grocery orders get expensive is in buying prepackaged foods (generally unhealthy) and junk. If you buy loads of junk, you will easily spend a few hundred dollars more. If your on a budget, skip the cookies, candy and poptarts. Buy normal, unsweetened cereals. It doesn't have to be expensive.

When my kids were young and we traveled as a family of 5, we went all over the country and I just spent my normal food budget on the road.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Ridersmom I have to agree with you although we do eat meat we eat a lot of fish in Florida as the choice is so much better
We don't eat junk in fact the lurid colours of yogurt breakfast cereal is
Frightening as is the amount of high fructose corn syrup in thing
It often makes me wonder in the parks is that why kids are having a melt down midmorning ehen the sugar high petered out
Our most expensive item for us is cheese we now buy a huge block of
Cabot Wisconsin extra sharp cheddar in Costco each trip $35 but it lasts us the 5/6 weeks cut up and frozen in blocks
Cold meat I use left over chicken ,pulled pork I've made ,roast I've cooked yes I cook them even on a Park day just chucked them in the slow cooker
The only fast food if you can call it that is very ocassionally a sub from Publix and that can do us both for lunch and dinner with fruit cheese and olives and it's always the sub of the day which is around $6 and is huge
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List