Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jun 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so we're having ours done right now. here's some photos from yesterday/

we started with this:

the drone pic shows the whole of the back patio/garden area that is being dug out...

here it was after a couple of hours...

and here it is after lunch...

ending up with this at the end of the day. the grab truck came this morning and cleared half of the earth and rocks away, but we couldnt get another visit today (wasnt expecting to have done so much so quickly!) so now the other half is being moved over to the side to be cleared tomorrow, leaving a clear space to carry on getting the last few bits dug out (and trenches made for drainage and electrics)

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnyDuck
Serious Dibber

We're wanting to have ours done. Wanye - are the people that are building your garden the same people that designed it or did you have separate people?

Also, how did you go about sourcing somebody that was reliable + does a good job?
DonnyDuck is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
so we're having ours done right now. here's some photos from yesterday/

we started with this:

the drone pic shows the whole of the back patio/garden area that is being dug out...

here it was after a couple of hours...

and here it is after lunch...

ending up with this at the end of the day. the grab truck came this morning and cleared half of the earth and rocks away, but we couldnt get another visit today (wasnt expecting to have done so much so quickly!) so now the other half is being moved over to the side to be cleared tomorrow, leaving a clear space to carry on getting the last few bits dug out (and trenches made for drainage and electrics)

Ooh can't wait to see what its like when finished! What are the electrics for?
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnyDuck View Post
We're wanting to have ours done. Wanye - are the people that are building your garden the same people that designed it or did you have separate people?

Also, how did you go about sourcing somebody that was reliable + does a good job?
after the quotes i got for people to do the whole thing, i'm doing it all myself now.

well, not *myself* but i'm sorting out all the individual parts. once this is done (tomorrow) i can start chasing people to get it concreted (and wall reinforcement)

once thats all done, i can look at getting the shed/greenhouse and the lean-to covered cooking area. as long as i get the main parts done in the next month or so, the rest can all be done bit by bit over the next year or so
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Ooh can't wait to see what its like when finished! What are the electrics for?
got my electrician mate running power out to the opposite corner of the garden (where the shed is going to go) so i can have power in the shed, as well as in the cooking area. also for lighting and to power the cctv cameras (one of which ive temporarily mounted on the house to record the work for a timelapse video)

gonna be fitting drainpipes/drainage holes around the perimeter too to help with water run off
Old 24 Jun 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

And i thought this thread was a Mickey House euphemism
Old 24 Jun 20, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
uhohima
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Very jealous of all these beautiful landscaped gardens. We totally have a first world problem with our garden, it's very long, around 60 meters, and about 10 meters wide. We have a patio on two heights, which is about 20 meters long, but it's laid so badly, constantly gets weeds through the gaps etc, after that it's a large chunk of lawn and borders, a summer house and behind that a concrete shed and compost heap/storage area. The previous owner wasn't a big gardener, so it was very overgrown and untidy when we got it. It's looking nicer now, but it's just such a huge area, just keeping it relatively tidy is a challenge! I'd love to have it all beautifully landscaped, but I can just imagine it would cost an absolute bomb to have one that large done
uhohima is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Thought I’d add some pics of ours - before (when we bought this house 6 months ago) and now.
Hubby has done everything himself, so cost is just materials.
Still in progress as he’s been doing it around working full time.
Still need to do the back of the garden, but the fence needs replacing first (party fence which the neighbours have offered to get quotes for etc, so waiting for that) then we can finish it off. Hubby replaced fence that can be seen on our side, and he’s had to do certain things due to how the garden was left.

Before

Now - still in progress

I’ve tried to take pics to show the same areas. The garden is tiny, only around 35ft long, but it was so cluttered and overgrown that it looked smaller. It looks much bigger already only two thirds finished 😊
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Haven’t got any pictures but years ago we did ours. We had an air raid shelter in middle of garden which had huge concrete layer, on then a greenhouse and a concrete path all down garden. Everything went , some of the concrete was used to make a raised patio at end of garden , new lawn , few garden borders and decking outside conservatory . We didn’t have the money to pay some and it’s quite rewarding knowing you have done that yourself . Though saying that I have no doubt if the money was available we would have paid 😂
Old 24 Jun 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Thought I’d add some pics of ours - before (when we bought this house 6 months ago) and now.
Hubby has done everything himself, so cost is just materials.
Still in progress as he’s been doing it around working full time.
Still need to do the back of the garden, but the fence needs replacing first (party fence which the neighbours have offered to get quotes for etc, so waiting for that) then we can finish it off. Hubby replaced fence that can be seen on our side, and he’s had to do certain things due to how the garden was left.

Before

Now - still in progress

I’ve tried to take pics to show the same areas. The garden is tiny, only around 35ft long, but it was so cluttered and overgrown that it looked smaller. It looks much bigger already only two thirds finished 😊
Wow that looks awesome!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List