Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jul 20, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Best puppy training guide?

Well it’s been a while since I’ve been active here, always in the background reading though and where do I come when I need a bit of guidance on something that isn’t even Disney related? The Dibb! Always a wealth of info for everything!

So, I left full time employment at the end of last year and now work full time from home, we have spent the past 6 months seriously considering giving a dog a home with us as it’s now the perfect set up to do so what with me being at home all day and now the start of the summer holidays so my (teenage) children can all get the time to bond with it and be hands on.

This week we are picking up a gorgeous little boy, we are fully prepared for him in the home, costs, schedule etc but I am struggling to find just one place to use for all of his training needs, the internet is full of advice but I want to find one place that I can keep referring to to help us through his first year.

I have noticed a lot of dibbers have new additions recently so I wanted to ask those and you seasoned owners if you have a tried and tested recommendations for me?

We are using a crate, this is set up ready, we have a section of garden just for him to go to bathroom and I’ve set ground rules with the whole family such as not taking him upstairs (we have paddle stairs to loft rooms so not safe for a dog) and I want to ‘level’ train him initially then do ‘permission’ training after 6 months for him to be allowed to be up on a sofa or bed etc only when given permission.

Where do I go for a good ‘first week at home’ (I’m worried about him crying through the night bless him) and decent basic early training?

Thank you in advance
1998 Oct/Nov I-Drive & cruise (solo)- Oct 2010 Legacy Park villa(us 6)-May 2013 Windsor Hills villa(Disney 9)-May 2015 Windsor Hills Villa(Disney 9)-Oct 2016 Art Of Animation & AK Lodge(just the 2 of us)- May 2018 - Windsor Hills(Disney 9) Oct 2020- Formosa Gds Villa (Disney 8)
Mr&Mrs4kids is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Angcap
Getting Excited

Would recommend joining ‘dog training advice and support’ on Facebook. Just put that title in the Facebook search bar. They have LOADS of advice in the units section specific to getting new dog/puppy. Happy reading/watching videos. I have had dogs all my life but have still learnt a lot from this group 🙂
Angcap is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Thank you, I have requested to join
1998 Oct/Nov I-Drive & cruise (solo)- Oct 2010 Legacy Park villa(us 6)-May 2013 Windsor Hills villa(Disney 9)-May 2015 Windsor Hills Villa(Disney 9)-Oct 2016 Art Of Animation & AK Lodge(just the 2 of us)- May 2018 - Windsor Hills(Disney 9) Oct 2020- Formosa Gds Villa (Disney 8)
Mr&Mrs4kids is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I personally found the best way to train is to choose one method and stick to it. Rather than trying different things that different people suggest as this will just cause confusion for your dog.
Also, choose a method that will suit you and all your family members best. We choose voice commands mainly because non of us would forget our voices lol if we used a whistle or clicker we would more than likely forget it.

Personally I never put puppy pads in the house, Every half an hour or so I would take one outside and place the puppy on it and use my voice command to encourage the dog to use it than praising when toilet action was complete.
Even though puppies are not allowed out for walks until fully vaccinated it was fine as I would place a fresh training mat out right outside the door and stay with the puppy until it went to the toilet.
Good luck with the new family member 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Thank you, yes that's what I thought, that's why I was hoping to find just one source that we can always refer back to, as good as the internet is there is sooooo much on there it is hard to know which are the better ones so was hoping somebody had tried and tested something they would recommend.

I have bought a pack of puppy pads, but have since read somewhere that they have something in them (horse urine? ) that attracts the dog to it so doesn't really help to train to go outside, just encourages to go on the mat, so I think I am going to try to go without them to start with, I have already prepared the kids that we will be on a 3h toilet duty through the night! (Apparently they can only be expected to hold their bladder for 1h per month + 1h?)

I cannot wait to pick him up, he is growing so quickly!
Old 27 Jul 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr&Mrs4kids View Post
Thank you, yes that's what I thought, that's why I was hoping to find just one source that we can always refer back to, as good as the internet is there is sooooo much on there it is hard to know which are the better ones so was hoping somebody had tried and tested something they would recommend.

I have bought a pack of puppy pads, but have since read somewhere that they have something in them (horse urine? ) that attracts the dog to it so doesn't really help to train to go outside, just encourages to go on the mat, so I think I am going to try to go without them to start with, I have already prepared the kids that we will be on a 3h toilet duty through the night! (Apparently they can only be expected to hold their bladder for 1h per month + 1h?)

I cannot wait to pick him up, he is growing so quickly!
Yes the mats do have something in them that encourages puppies to use them thats why I never used them in the house. But they are fantastic to use outside so the puppy knows what he/she is supposed to be doing out there plus it tends to contain them on the pad as they cant explore outside until vaccinations are complete.
So I would highly recommend them, just not indoors as that will confuse the puppy 👍🏻👍🏻
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Sounds good, I have them now so may as well use them rather than waste them! Thanks for your feedback
Old 27 Jul 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We've got a 4 month old puppy which is a shock after having out other older dog, it's easy to forget the puppy stage!

We didn't use pads with either dog and just watched them and took them out every 30 minutes, especially after waking up, eating, drinking and play. She had a few accidents in the early days but she's fine now.
She sleeps in the crate with a cover, we put a heated bottle in, a blanket from her mum and she was fine. I got up a few times in the night to take her out bit she never cried and now sleeps 8 hours.

She's a fantastic little addition to our family, enjoy!
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

I didn’t rate the puppy pads outside either. But I did use a pack just on car seats etc in case.
Your crate needs to be small, just enough room for the puppy to stand up, turn round etc and that’s it. Too big and they’ll use the corner as a toilet and you’ll struggle to get away from that.

I wouldn’t wake the pup up in the night. It’s an hour a month during the day, but once they are asleep they can and do hold it. Just make sure you can hear the crate, and the first Yelp, have them outside with no fuss, no eye contact. Just straight out and back.
Make the crate as dark as poss as well. Otherwise you may well have some 4am mornings 😂
Old 27 Jul 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Lilly3580 View Post
We've got a 4 month old puppy which is a shock after having out other older dog, it's easy to forget the puppy stage!

We didn't use pads with either dog and just watched them and took them out every 30 minutes, especially after waking up, eating, drinking and play. She had a few accidents in the early days but she's fine now.
She sleeps in the crate with a cover, we put a heated bottle in, a blanket from her mum and she was fine. I got up a few times in the night to take her out bit she never cried and now sleeps 8 hours.

She's a fantastic little addition to our family, enjoy!
It's been over 10 years since we have had a dog and a long time since a puppy! I have a small hot water bottle at the ready as I did read about that and he is coming with a blanket from his litter crate.

I'm glad you are enjoying her, I hopeful his little chap will bring much happiness to the family