Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Aug 20, 03:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mallky555
Apprentice Imagineer

We have a 4 month old cockapoo girl and she’s amazing. She adores our 6 year old daughter and is always found snuggled at her feet😍
She has been easily toilet trained too. Not very keen on walking at present but we are hoping this will improve with time. She’s been a great addition to our family and we wish we had done it sooner however with everyone at home to help out during lock down I think it’s been easier to train her. She’s going for her first grooming this week but we have brushed her every other day ourselves

Edited at 03:45 AM.
Mallky555 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
How has he become white? Gorgeous boy
Hi Sophiepop, he is white on his chest and legs and a Light ginger colour along his back. He had two brothers that were a similar colour and 4 sisters that were jet black! Thank you, we think he is gorgeous too
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
We’ve had 2 Westie, both lived to a good age, both were fantastic dogs but both had bad skin issues which we don’t want to have to deal with again.
Do the cairn not have the same skin issues as the Westie as they are from the same family?
Our Cairn, Poppy, didn’t have skin issues and she was a hardy little dog. We lost her 3 years ago and are now starting to think of getting another dog ... wouldn’t hesitate to get another Cairn although we are finding them quite rare at the moment!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7

We bought our Cockapoo home 2 weeks ago tomorrow, the change in him is remarkable, I swear he has doubled in size already! He is so keen and quick to learn and really is a joy to have around.

I work from home anyway, so he is never far away from me, but I have made a conscious effort to leave him alone for some time every day (never crying or whining) so he gets used to me going out to do shopping or school run come September. We are using an oversized crating method and this has worked really well so far, he has not had a single accident in there (we used oversized for a dog we had many years ago and it worked perfectly for him toom though the more popular options seems to be just big enough for them to stand and turn in)

I think a dog will be a lovely companion for your wife when she is working from home, that was partly the reason I got our little Maui (and for my daughter who is suffering with depression and anxiety)

I had forgotten how time consuming it can be to always be watching them, it really is like having another toddler in the house, I cannot imagine how people who work full time can manage a puppy in the early training days, it's really hard work!

In regards to his grooming, we just spend 5-10 minutes most days giving him a brush after he has had a good play in the garden and is more relaxed, he is happy to receive it and rolls onto his back to have his tummy rubbed.

I still have no idea what his adult coat is going to be like, he does not have tight curls, but his fur is quote thick. Doesn't shed a single hair even when grooming, (another reason for choosing this breed)
1998 Oct/Nov I-Drive & cruise (solo)- Oct 2010 Legacy Park villa(us 6)-May 2013 Windsor Hills villa(Disney 9)-May 2015 Windsor Hills Villa(Disney 9)-Oct 2016 Art Of Animation & AK Lodge(just the 2 of us)- May 2018 - Windsor Hills(Disney 9) Oct 2020- Formosa Gds Villa (Disney 8)
Mr&Mrs4kids is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

We are on Westie number 6 and she is the only one we had that has had skin issues which has mostly cleared up now. Apparently if you get one that can be hand stripped then they are less likely to have skin problems. Also the staining round the eyes I find isn’t really that much of an issue with westie more you silky haired breeds like Maltese and shih tzu’s
Old 10 Aug 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisy_Do_72
slightly serious Dibber

My cockapoo is now 3. Darcy has been a real treat. We had her when our choc lab - Daisy, was 10, she's so smart she's had no real training but copies the lab who is very well behaved, so I owe a lot to Daisy.
She gets groomed every 10 weeks, does not shed or matt thankfully. Loves a bath or shower, just jumps in and waits patiently.
Enjoys swimming and can dive under the water... that's a lot of fun to watch.
Will play fetch - until she's tired then she runs and hides the ball.
A little shy with other people, but a good door bell if we get a visitor.
Can and will walk miles and is a v fast runner with excellent recall.
A great therapy dog for my DD whos suffering with Depression and Anxiety at the moment.

I'm 100% the cockerpoo fan! But never had a westie.
Daisy_Do_72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by Daisy_Do_72 View Post
My cockapoo is now 3. Darcy has been a real treat. We had her when our choc lab - Daisy, was 10, she's so smart she's had no real training but copies the lab who is very well behaved, so I owe a lot to Daisy.
She gets groomed every 10 weeks, does not shed or matt thankfully. Loves a bath or shower, just jumps in and waits patiently.
Enjoys swimming and can dive under the water... that's a lot of fun to watch.
Will play fetch - until she's tired then she runs and hides the ball.
A little shy with other people, but a good door bell if we get a visitor.
Can and will walk miles and is a v fast runner with excellent recall.
A great therapy dog for my DD whos suffering with Depression and Anxiety at the moment.

I'm 100% the cockerpoo fan! But never had a westie.
We got our Cockapoo for this reason too, our daughter is 16 with depression and anxiety bless her, he is already helping massively, she is outside with him in the garden so often, just hearing her swoon and seeing her smile and laugh over his cuteness is enough for me
1998 Oct/Nov I-Drive & cruise (solo)- Oct 2010 Legacy Park villa(us 6)-May 2013 Windsor Hills villa(Disney 9)-May 2015 Windsor Hills Villa(Disney 9)-Oct 2016 Art Of Animation & AK Lodge(just the 2 of us)- May 2018 - Windsor Hills(Disney 9) Oct 2020- Formosa Gds Villa (Disney 8)
Mr&Mrs4kids is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Anne K View Post
His name is Tweezer, which was my Dad’s nickname, he was born the day my Dad was killed by a speeding driver 😭

He is the absolute best medicine for a broken heart 💔
He certainly is x

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Wouldint you think of a rescue dog?
We got Florence 1 year after sadly losing our Lil.
And she has turned out to be a absolutely gorgeous pet.
She is four years old..a ≈≈≈≈z Zu..and an ex breeding dog from Many Tears in Wales.
Before lockdown they had lots of small pedigree dogs Westies etc...not so many now...but they do sometimes have cockerpoos .

Edited at 08:05 PM.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by stecee View Post
We’ve had 2 Westie, both lived to a good age, both were fantastic dogs but both had bad skin issues which we don’t want to have to deal with again.
Do the cairn not have the same skin issues as the Westie as they are from the same family?
Definitely not, Cairn terriers are mostly health issue free. Ours had an amazing personality as well. He thought up he was a Golden Retriever as we had one when we got him and always fetched you toys and went swimming
There is one theory that Cairns were the original breed and some breeders just kept breeding the lighter ones until they got a white one and the Westie was born?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List