Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 2 Aug 20, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
We've just come back from a 4 day trip to Paignton. Really enjoyed it. We did the steam train from Paignton to Dartmouth (well, actually a station beginning with K that I can't remember, but it's a 5 minute hop across the river by ferry from there to Dartmouth), and we then did the hour long harbour boat tour. Highly recommend.

Both Paignton and Torquay are very close to each other and certainly the seafront and harbour areas are very pretty and well kept.

We also played crazy golf along the front which was good fun!

I'm not too mobile, so we just pottered about really, but it was a lovely area, and good for gluten free food which I need!
Thanks the other half wants to do the steam railway.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
We've just come back from a 4 day trip to Paignton. Really enjoyed it. We did the steam train from Paignton to Dartmouth (well, actually a station beginning with K that I can't remember, but it's a 5 minute hop across the river by ferry from there to Dartmouth), and we then did the hour long harbour boat tour. Highly recommend.

Both Paignton and Torquay are very close to each other and certainly the seafront and harbour areas are very pretty and well kept.

We also played crazy golf along the front which was good fun!

I'm not too mobile, so we just pottered about really, but it was a lovely area, and good for gluten free food which I need!
Kingswear

I live a few miles from Torquay.
The Dolphin Pub in Dartmouth is ace.
There are some lovely walks around the Paignton and Torquay area. The sea fronts are nice, apologies for the town centres.
We like a Sunday amble along the front, have an ice cream and then amble back up through Torre Abbey.
Cockington is beautiful if you get time to go there.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
Yikes. We go on a Friday, deciding if to drive early doors or stop somewhere on the way down.
I would go early. We left Weymouth about Midday to get to Crawley via the A35, A31, M27, M3 and most of them were at a standstill! Don't know where your travelling from you will be able to get a travel forecast on your phone.
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfans
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi I live in Weymouth and if I can be of any help please ask.
I love where I live and can recommend lots to do but it depends what you want.
Charmouth is excellent for fossil hunting. You just need to be aware of possible cliff falls and obey the signs. Its amazing how many don't.
My recommendations are
Portland Bill and Church ope cove on Portland
Chesil beach starts on Portland finishes at West Bay. Worth visiting both ends.
Boat trip in Weymouth
Weymouth harbour and the beach.
Tyneham
Lulworth cove and Durdle Door
Swanage and the steam railway
Sandbanks in Poole if only to see how the mega rich live. Its then a lovely trip over on the chain ferry to Studland and easy access to Swanage.
Corfe Castle
Lyme Regis
Seaton and the tramway
Dartmouth just beautiful
Brixham lovely little fishing port
Paignton zoo.
In the Weymouth area there is lots of watersports activities readily available.
We also have attractions such as Portland Castle, Sea life centre, sandworld, Nothe Fort, Abbotsbury sub tropical gardens, Abbotsbury swannery that is to name a few.
Its a really lovely area and whatever you decide to do you will have a great time
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
I would go early. We left Weymouth about Midday to get to Crawley via the A35, A31, M27, M3 and most of them were at a standstill! Don't know where your travelling from you will be able to get a travel forecast on your phone.
We will be coming from the m5. Would either get there in the morning or late afternoon. Hopefully missing the madness.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disneyfans View Post
Hi I live in Weymouth and if I can be of any help please ask.
I love where I live and can recommend lots to do but it depends what you want.
Charmouth is excellent for fossil hunting. You just need to be aware of possible cliff falls and obey the signs. Its amazing how many don't.
My recommendations are
Portland Bill and Church ope cove on Portland
Chesil beach starts on Portland finishes at West Bay. Worth visiting both ends.
Boat trip in Weymouth
Weymouth harbour and the beach.
Tyneham
Lulworth cove and Durdle Door
Swanage and the steam railway
Sandbanks in Poole if only to see how the mega rich live. Its then a lovely trip over on the chain ferry to Studland and easy access to Swanage.
Corfe Castle
Lyme Regis
Seaton and the tramway
Dartmouth just beautiful
Brixham lovely little fishing port
Paignton zoo.
In the Weymouth area there is lots of watersports activities readily available.
We also have attractions such as Portland Castle, Sea life centre, sandworld, Nothe Fort, Abbotsbury sub tropical gardens, Abbotsbury swannery that is to name a few.
Its a really lovely area and whatever you decide to do you will have a great time
Thanks. Tbh lots of this is on my list. Want to go fossil hunting so will look up that spot.
Sandbanka for the other half, maybe brownsea.
We are staying at Durdle Door so will go there and Lulworth.
Dartmouth and the steam train on the list with Brixham.
Coastal walk too.

I'm sure the list will grow when I look up the suggestions in here 😉

What local hidden spots are there? We like off the beaten track...
Old 10 Aug 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
I live in Poole, ( well Parkstone, between Poole and Bournemouth so have a great choice of days outs on my door step!)

If you're going to Brownsea Island head to Poole Quay to get the little boats. It's a lovely little island, I love the peacocks and squirrels. There have been some mega yachts mooring up at the quay recently, cant even begin to imagine how many millions they're worth, nice to look at though.

If you do go to Tyneham Village, you can walk an additional mile down to Warbarrow bay, it's a pebble beach so the water is so clear, you will need swim shoes or sandals though.

Sandbanks is stunning to walk around, but honestly, you need to either go super early or later in the day, the carparks are full very early on at the moment and illegally parked vehicles are being lifted away.

I have not been able to go to any beaches since the lockdown restrictions lifted, it's been horrendously busy ever since given the glorious weather, and the traffic can be queued up to a mile long, it's just such a shame that the majority of visitors cannot seem to clean up after themselves
1998 Oct/Nov I-Drive & cruise (solo)- Oct 2010 Legacy Park villa(us 6)-May 2013 Windsor Hills villa(Disney 9)-May 2015 Windsor Hills Villa(Disney 9)-Oct 2016 Art Of Animation & AK Lodge(just the 2 of us)- May 2018 - Windsor Hills(Disney 9) Oct 2020- Formosa Gds Villa (Disney 8)
Mr&Mrs4kids is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List