Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Sep 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Any plumbers? (Leaking outside pipe)

Hi can anyone advise if it’s easy to replace an outside drainage pipe? I have attached a picture to show it’s leaking. Someone has tried to seal it but I want to replace it. Is it just a case of buying a new pipe taking that one out and pushing the new one in? Do I need sealant or anything else? Thanks for any help.
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Hi, it looks like what they call a "Strap on Boss" , if it is it's very easy to fix. Nip down to your local merchants and get a new one suitable for the size of waste pipe, it'll be 32mm,40mm or 50mm, most likely a 40mm one if from a bathroom or kitchen.
Budmiester is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Budmiester View Post
Hi, it looks like what they call a "Strap on Boss" , if it is it's very easy to fix. Nip down to your local merchants and get a new one suitable for the size of waste pipe, it'll be 32mm,40mm or 50mm, most likely a 40mm one if from a bathroom or kitchen.
Thank you for your help I’m just confirming that’s a real thing and they are not going to fall over laughing when I ask for one? As it sounds like it should be sold in other types of stores 😂 it’s not like a glass hammer or umbilical cord is it!
Mrs-Weasley is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I may be wrong but I have only ever used a strap on boss on a soil pipe.
In fact I will be putting one on in 2 weeks to take a pipe from a new boiler.

I have never seen them used on rainwater/waste water pipes but as I say it maybe me that's wrong.

To be honest i never mess around when I have to deal with an issue on plastic pipes as they are so cheap I replace the whole lot.
The trouble is you find one problem, solve that and create another one as the movement 'ricks' existing joints.

I would change the lot. Probably under £25 in total.

Edit. Can you show a photo from further back please.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

I have never seen them used on rainwater/waste water pipes but as I say it maybe me that's wrong.

To be honest i never mess around when I have to deal with an issue on plastic pipes as they are so cheap I replace the whole lot.
The trouble is you find one problem, solve that and create another one as the movement 'ricks' existing joints.

In my previous employment I was a qualified C&G advanced plumber but my knowledge is quite out of date. You can use a strap on boss onto rainwater/waste pipe as long as it 114mm, I'd have a look at a Marley catalogue and see if they have something suitable .
As Tom said could you please take another photo from further back and if possible a ruler to show scale.
Budmiester is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
In my previous employment I was a qualified C&G advanced plumber but my knowledge is quite out of date. You can use a strap on boss onto rainwater/waste pipe as long as it 114mm, I'd have a look at a Marley catalogue and see if they have something suitable .
As Tom said could you please take another photo from further back and if possible a ruler to show scale.
Not many of us C & G Tradesmen around now. I was a Carpenter & Joiner and did my 4 year apprenticeship starting in 1970. Sadly those days are long gone.

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

Thank you for your reply I will post a picture tomorrow sorry for the late reply I was on shift this evening.
Old 10 Sep 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs-Weasley
Very Serious Dibber

Do you want the ruler next to the pipe that’s leaking? Thank you for your time and help and I apologise for the late reply.
Old 11 Sep 20, 06:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
No rush. I know what shift work is like and it eats into your day.

A photo from further back will allow us to say what the pipe is and what to do. Just put a ruler if you can against the pipe that comes down the wall, not the one that's a mess if that's too high up for you.

Old 12 Sep 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

As Tom has said no rush, if you could place the ruler across the pipe it would give us an idea of the diameter of the pipe.