Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Sep 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Hypo allergenic cat

Looking at a Russian blue - any thoughts?
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post

I have one , he’s a funny little thing , Quite dog like , very loving and a massive mummy’s boy.
He does shed a tiny bit but doesn’t affect my allergies.
My other cat is a moggy and if I stroke him for too long my eyes water and itch like mad .

As a kitten -

Edited at 07:54 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Bengal also hypoallergenic but boy are they vocal
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Labboy View Post
Bengal also hypoallergenic but boy are they vocal
We had one of those too , he was adorable but a menace and his miaow used to go right through me !
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

No animal dog or cat is hypoallergenic to all! What may affect one may not affect another. Lots of people got x poodles etc as the were advertised as hypoallergenic purley to sell cross breed dogs & cats are the same. Allergic reactions can be caused by animal fur, dander or skin so as above what effects one does not effect another so just because an animal may not shed much fur, it may well shed other things that may or may not effect someone. My husband is not effected at all by our bitch, a Bedlington cross but was put in hospital with an asthma attack when he took on his sisters dog a spaniel. We have discovered, in his case its actually gender that effects him! Bitches no problem, my sisters dogs bring him out in hives within an hour of contact,
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Hels80
VIP Dibber

I’ve often heard that Ragdoll cats are hypoallergenic. I have no idea if there’s any truth in it.
They are so cute though.

I agree re bengals. Gorgeous but such hard work. Our neighbour’s Bengal is in everyone’s house like it’s his own, and terrorises the neighbourhood cats. Gorgeous though.
Best Western I drive 1997, Regal Palms 2009, Wedding at Beuna Vista Palace 04/08/09, Coco Key 2010, Art of Animation, RPR Universal, Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014, RPR & Disney's Swan 2017, Rosen Inn @ Pointe, Hard Rock Hotel, Port Orleans French 2018.

DLP: :
Best Western MLV 2007, Hotel Cheyenne 2008, Sequoia Lodge 2010, Dream Castle 2011, Kyriad MLV Torcy 2012, Hotel El'ysee 2012, Hotel Cheyenne 2013, Sequoia Lodge 2015.
Hels80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
I have one , he’s a funny little thing , Quite dog like , very loving and a massive mummy’s boy.
He does shed a tiny bit but doesn’t affect my allergies.
My other cat is a moggy and if I stroke him for too long my eyes water and itch like mad .

As a kitten -
He’s gorgeous- where did you get him? I can’t find many breeders
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by anna68 View Post
He’s gorgeous- where did you get him? I can’t find many breeders
I actually found him on Pets4homes which I know can be a bit dicey but she was a proper breeder and we went to her house and saw her other Russians and they were all lovely, we kept in touch with her for the first couple of years too .
She was in south London .
Old 29 Sep 20, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

We’ve got a Siberian Forest cat after trying to rehome a cat from the local shelter and DH having full blown allergic asthma attack. He is drastically more tolerant to Kasper than other cats we’ve had or looked at (we nearly bought a beautiful Bengal) despite the fact Kasper does shed.

scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
The Wizard is correct - it depends on the individual cat so you need to visit the litter and see if you are allergic to the mother, or better still adopt a slightly older kitty from a shelter where you can visit and spend an hour with it alone and see if it affects you. Pure breeds are no more or less likely to set your allergies off.
Plus, there are too many unwanted kitties in the world and people really should stop breeding 'pure breds' because a cat is a cat is a cat (apart from Bengals, which are half wild cat and not suitable for most cat owner anyway as anyone who has one will tell you)
I've had a minimum of three cats at any time in my household for many years and yet even I meet a cat now and then that sets off itching eyes and sneezing
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List