Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Jan 21, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Me personally, I am far worse off as I am a self employed mobile beauty therapist so am not working for the third time since March. My savings took a big hit and the little I had left paid for a new course in October which I haven't been able to earn any money from thanks to lockdown 2 and now Tier 4. My furlough is nowhere near what it should be due to big business expenses in the last few years.

However as a couple I think we are about the same, our finances have completely yo-yo'd this year. My OH started 2020 as a Ltd company which unfortunately meant for 7 weeks during lockdown 1, neither of us were working or earning. He did go back to work in May then in July the company he was contracting for took him on permanently so he closed down the business. Same job, same wages but paying more tax..., better pension and family healthcare though! We also remortgaged the house so have a bigger monthly payment but got the kitchen redone and will be doing the bathroom soon.

We obviously didn't have our big US holiday but did go to Turkey for a week and a lot of our money we had set aside for it had to go on our outgoings whilst we weren't working.
I feel incredibly fortunate that my income isn't needed although if this pandemic happened 10 years ago when I was a single parent to 2 small children I would be so far up s*it creek I honestly don't know what I'd have done. I feel incredibly sorry to not only those families who have lost loved ones to this virus but those who's lives have been so badly affected financially they are in ruins. I personally know of 3 people who are on the brink of losing their homes, it's devastating.

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
shabba
Apprentice Imagineer

shabba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

A lot better off. National lottery seen to that.
shabba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Better off in 2021. Roll on February - Old Age Pension arrives.
Same here will be getting mine in March.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

November for me. Only 6 years later than expected.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Better off financially but would trade in a heartbeat for a normal life again and to make plans to go to Disney.. or anywhere really with my family ❤
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We are in a strange place, we have about 10k more in savings now than we did this time last year, which is good.

However this was due to be the company's best year ever and we should have finished it about £50k up, so we've had a good and bad year.

Here's hoping last year's planned work carried over to 2021
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 02:16 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We’re pretty much the same. Didn’t save anything in all honesty as we redecorated both of the kids bedrooms and bought a new sofa. Managed to clear a few little debts and by the end of the month will be over £800 a month better off when the loans go. I wish we saved more but things needed doing/paying so we concentrated on that. We’ve both worked throughout as keyworkers and whilst the last 9 months have been really difficult I am so thankful that we both still have jobs. Our situation is very different to most thought as we live in my parents house and helped them pay their mortgage off, so we have no worries about losing our home should either of us ever become out of work. We know how very fortunate we are. I’ve friends who have earned nothing in the last 9 months and it’s heartbreaking to see how badly it is affecting them.

Really hope that for those who are struggling manage to see some light very soon x x

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
I am amazed that some people have had pay rises during all this . I initially got 80 % during the first lockdown ( working all hours while others were on 80% enjoying the sunshine on furlough ) but it was subsequently put back up to 100% ( and backdated )
Both my daughters received pay rises and bonuses, plus they have in recent months been promoted. One is in the insurance sector one is in hospitality!
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
clanmacbeath
Imagineer

clanmacbeath's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

We are just the same. No better, no worse. we are NHS staff so worked thoughout. I was shielding and WFM which meant I couldnt do extra hours...so probably slightly worse off in the long run. DD had a baby and we spent a fortune on a pram etc... good job we couldn't go on holiday!
I do feel for all those people furloughed or who have lost their jobs. 2020 will be a year none of us forget.
clanmacbeath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Hard to say yet. DH was on furlough for four months getting 80% of basic and no bonuses, and then made redundant with a modest pay off. Then a month with no pay before starting a new job. So it probably evened out his usual annual income.

He earns slightly more in the new job and as it's been from home no travel expenses. But it's temporary until end of April. It is almost certain to be extended though as for HMRC and connected with imports etc. With Brexit happening who knows..
My income has stayed the same. We have saved more but we gave some to DD and her fiance to help with a house deposit. They just need to get a mortgage now in 2021.
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 12:35 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List