Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jan 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
I was doing my apprenticeship in Pompey Dockyard when they decided to go metric and issue us all with a metric toolkit.

Instead of giving us a 30cm steel rule to replace the 12 inch one they decided a 10 inch one was metric enough
I'm now very worried that all our naval ships are only about 80% of the size they should be.

Mick
Old 15 Jan 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I was in my second year of senior school when the change happened. I remember getting all giddy when I called into the newsagents on my way to school and receiving change in the new currency.
Even now, all these years later, all measurements get converted into yards, feet and inches and weight into stones and pounds.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.

Edited at 05:13 PM.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
I was on teaching practice just before the decimalisation day and we had samples of all the coins as teaching aids. It was good to know all about it in advance of the day
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I'm now very worried that all our naval ships are only about 80% of the size they should be.

Mick
Everything is about 80% of what it used to be 😂

Disney332

Edited at 05:28 PM.
disney332 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

I remember it clearly. I was working as a student p/t in MacFisheries Supermarket (remember them?) at the time. We had training playing 'shops' in the canteen to get us used to the money.

On the morning of the changeover I remember sitting at my till wearing my 'I'm Trained in Decimal Currency' badge with the MacFisheries fish logo on it and feeling dead proud! Was exciting giving people the change in 'new' money. I still have that badge.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Everything is about 80% of what it used to be 😂

Disney332
As much as 80% D332?
Old 15 Jan 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
As much as 80% D332?
In my dreams 😂👍

Disney332
Old 15 Jan 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
For the younger Dibb people Jet was a chain of garages.
And for the older people who clearly either drive around without noticing these garages or pass them and then instantly forget - Jet still is a chain of garages.

There's still a few around here in East Yorkshire.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
And for the older people who clearly either drive around without noticing these garages or pass them and then instantly forget - Jet still is a chain of garages.

There's still a few around here in East Yorkshire.
Popular at LGW and LHR I hear too

Disney332
Old 15 Jan 21, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Pearldaisy View Post
The date of “D” day (decimalisation) is forever etched in my memory. 15th February 1971. At the time I worked on the Post Office counter and it was pension payment day. Can you imagine trying to explain the new money to all the old dears who thought they were being short changed and weren’t getting their proper payment. One of the worst working days I ever had! OMG Now, of course I am of the old dears myself when it comes to the digital world!
Me too. Never forget the date. I was a cashier in a bank. We had 3 weeks before D day to practise using the “new” money. We did get a lot of overtime however👍
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List