Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Nov 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Darwen Bird
Imagineer

Here now, card cloned - UPDATED post #18

I know this has happened to another Dibber recently, but unfortunately it’s been me this time.

I have an Asda Money Cashpassport which I’ve used without problems for several trips. I check my transactions every couple of days or so and have only used the card in shops and in the laundry machines at POFQ, so it’s never been out of my personal possession.

I went to use it yesterday and it only approved 86 cents so I knew something was wrong but I couldn’t check my account until I got to EPCOT where I could use the WiFi. Sure enough there were 4 different ‘rouge’ transactions incurred in Spain totalling over $300. Guest Relations at EPCOT let me use their phone so I could ring the card hotline. I’m currently trying to get a ‘chargeback’ sorted for the transactions so I should hopefully get my money back.

Thankfully I don’t put all my spending money on my card and this has happened towards the end of our trip so annoying as it is it’s not completely ruined my holiday.

The lessons from this are: a) have your holiday spends in a variety of formats (I had the cashpassport, actual cash and travellers cheques as well as my normal debit card as back up) b) if using a prepaid debit card (or any card for that matter) check the account transactions frequently - I checked my account every two days but the timing of the first dodgy transaction was just after I’d checked it c) Disney will happily let you use their phones to contact the card provider - mine had a toll free US contact number but I was told they would have been fine even if it had involved an international call. This action by Disney saved me a fortune in phone call costs as well as sparing me additional stress.

Edited at 04:03 AM.
Darwen Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 17, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry to hear this has happened to you. As you say a lesson to all of us to check accounts regularly. Lovely to hear Disney did their bit to help you get it sorted.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your holiday.
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 17, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mackem
Apprentice Imagineer

So sorry to hear this has happened, Hopefully it won't ruin the remainder of the holiday and fingers crossed you get your money back. It is a horrible feeling to realise someone has taken your hard earned cash. Best wishes for the rest of your stay xx
Old 14 Nov 17, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post

such a shame

great that disney were helpful, they do like a happy customer
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
madasahat
Imagineer

thats why we only use cash
orlando sun Villa 2011 2012 2013 villa velvet 2014 Killa villa 2015 orlando sun villa 2017 lake berkeley 2018 lake berkeley 2022
madasahat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by madasahat View Post
Us too, a few too many of these stories are occurring all too often.

I wish they still took traveller's checks around Orlando the way they used to.
Old 14 Nov 17, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Unlucky mate that sucks especially on holiday, I did read recently that teenage kids have been buying cloned cards for in game purchases online perhaps it was this.

The ones cloning have no idea what's on the card so they sell them for very low values.

The kids buy them from the web and use them in internet cafes etc for ingame purchases like FIFA 18 gold or WOW gold which you can buy from Chinese sites so it's nearly impossible to trace.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Darwen Bird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by madasahat View Post
It’s still a risk only taking cash as it could get stolen or lost - it’s better to have a variety of formats for your money

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Unlucky mate that sucks especially on holiday, I did read recently that teenage kids have been buying cloned cards for in game purchases online perhaps it was this.
The ‘dodgy’ transactions were made in Spain for an Italian train company - all the same reference over a 40 hour period.

My biggest concern was that On this trip I’d only used the card for a few transactions before this happened, two with the card just being swiped (by me) and the rest chip and pin. The two times I swiped to pay were at the RunDisney Expo using the standard Disney payment terminal and at the POFQ Resort laundry, so goodness knows how it was cloned although the resort have asked the laundry operator to come out and check the terminals just in case it happened there.

Disney have been really helpful about it all for which I am very greatful.
Darwen Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree re the all cash comment. If it gets lost or stolen, you are totally scuppered. Insurance only covers about £500 each and that takes time to sort.
Old 14 Nov 17, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Darwen Bird View Post
It’s still a risk only taking cash as it could get stolen or lost - it’s better to have a variety of formats for your money

The ‘dodgy’ transactions were made in Spain for an Italian train company - all the same reference over a 40 hour period.

My biggest concern was that On this trip I’d only used the card for a few transactions before this happened, two with the card just being swiped (by me) and the rest chip and pin. The two times I swiped to pay were at the RunDisney Expo using the standard Disney payment terminal and at the POFQ Resort laundry, so goodness knows how it was cloned although the resort have asked the laundry operator to come out and check the terminals just in case it happened there.

Disney have been really helpful about it all for which I am very greatful.
A "skimmer" can be attached to swipes so always look at the machine and if it doesn't look right... will usually look "swollen" or extended.

And never let anyone walk off with your card. Go with them and be vigilant.