Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Apr 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Would you want to pay more National Insurance?

Different developed nations have different systems and different methods of paying for them when it comes to the health and well-being of the Nation. We could argue all day over which provides the most bang for the bucks expended.

We believe ours to be wonderful, but underfunded, as a generalisation. Two things that have happened recently have got me thinking.

1.My Mother, an NI contributor all her life and a person who also paid income tax on any accumulated savings, was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and Vascular Dementia. I think that these are both diseases and therefore her treatment and care should be treated by the NHS in the same way as any other disease, right? .. well wrong. She ended up in a care home for her last year and this dissipated her savings by £45k until her unfortunate passing. Why was she paying and sharing the home with others who were not? I accept that the NHS cannot currently afford to place and care for everybody suffering from these terrible diseases, but it still seems wrong that the ‘free for everybody’ mantra is ignored. It should, in an ideal world be free as part of the NHS.

2. Coronovirus. Were we prepared for a pandemic? No. Was equipment in place? No. Are we coping? Barely. I work shifts in a Hospital.

I would be prepared to have my National Insurance upped from 12% to say, 18% should this be sufficient to give the Nation the Health Service that I would want to see.( I say 18, because that is, I believe what is paid in Germany). This should be over and above any taxes currently paid. I believe that it should be paid by all, as everybody would benefit and there should be no cut off point in earnings where you cease to pay.
This might be sufficient to pay for eldercare, pandemics and any other things that the Public may need. The extra could even be ringfenced to cover certain aspects and separated from the 12% already paid... but please get rid of some of the dozens of tiers of administration and middle management and in addition, work to eliminate through life contracts on desks, bins, tables and other stuff.

Just throwing this in for sensible discussion or debate (not Political ranting as I don’t believe it a Political subject). If we truly want the world leading Health Service that we aspire to, then it comes at a cost and it would seem that we are not paying enough. That cost should be to everybody. Perhaps further taxation of Fags, Booze , Alcohol and other life limiting, healthcare in later life expensive, substances could form part of the increase in the same way that Green Taxes are being extracted from those who pollute?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:52 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Absolutely and I say this as someone who paid over £7k in NI last year.

I’ve been saying for many years I would happily pay more if you could guarantee it went directly to the NHS and wasn’t wasted on management.

I have private healthcare which I’ve used multiple time’s but you never know when you or your loved ones will need the NHS.

I’ll never forget being outside Magic Kingdom and a letter was having to prove her medical cover before they put her in the ambulance. Let’s cherish our NHS.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Just need to ensure everyone pays there fair share. It’s easy to target PAYE staff but many well paid people work within limited companies to pay as little NI as possible ( pay themselves approx £8k a year and receive the rest in dividends that don’t attract NI)
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Just need to ensure everyone pays there fair share. It’s easy to target PAYE staff but many well paid people work within limited companies to pay as little NI as possible ( pay themselves approx £8k a year and receive the rest in dividends that don’t attract NI)
Yes, very much so. I have friends who do this. Some are also now regretting their ‘very tax efficient’ declarations of earnings, now that they are furloughed. It is for sure that HMRC need to introduce some very ‘firm’ measures to crush tax (and NI) avoidance schemes. Paying yourself ‘dividends’ instead of declaring income on a one person business should be stopped.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:53 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I continue to pay National insurance, even though I was fully paid up ten years ago.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Yes,I would be more than happy to pay higher NI contributions.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Yes, very much so. I have friends who do this. Some are also now regretting their ‘very tax efficient’ declarations of earnings, now that they are furloughed. It is for sure that HMRC need to introduce some very ‘firm’ measures to crush tax (and NI) avoidance schemes. Paying yourself ‘dividends’ instead of declaring income on a one person business should be stopped.
Where high earners are concerned, a one-person business taking all the profit out of their company (in any mix of salary and dividends) pays more total tax than an employee (taking the same earnings as a salary), largely because all profits get 19% corporation tax before dividends (yes, they may nil NI specifically, but more tax in total).

Irrespective, I’d support more going to NHS, whichever tax it’s taken from and whichever tax needs increasing.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

I would too as long as it’s guaranteed to go to the NHS. Like you CFB my FIL had Dementia and was self funding in a care home too cost £1000’s! How is that right when he paid all his life and others were there for free! A lot said to owning your house and having a bit put by
Old 6 Apr 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I would be prepared to pay more, when I see what my in-laws have to pay in the USA, it would still be a very good deal.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Yes I definitely would. I don’t think many political campaigns would have been likely to succeed with the promise of NI and/or tax increases, though. Perhaps this pandemic will make us all think differently.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List