Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Nov 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

£100 found in the cashpoint

This is a 100% true story:

About 8 years ago me and my wife were shopping in Ruislip High Street and it started to rain so we stepped up our pace and I needed some cash so rushed to the HSBC cashpoint, but as we approached the cashpoint there was £100 hanging out. Me and Mrs MH looked at each other and smiled and looked around but because of the rain people were rushing around so we had no clue who the money belonged to. I took hold of the money and also took my money out and no one approached us.

Unknown to us at the time if money comes out of a cashpoint and its not taken within a certain time the machine takes it back in.

Sometimes even years later you can feel pleased with something you did or even disappointed for not doing the right thing.

So I want my dibb family to be honest and say what they would have likely done with the money if they had been in my situation?

I won't yet say what I did but I promise to be entirely upfront and say whether I would do anything differently if the same thing happened to me again.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would of taken in the bank and given it to them, some poor blighter would be so upset when they got home and realised. My son found a £50 note on the road the day my mum died, he took it there was nobody around and he said it was a gift from his Nan!
Old 17 Nov 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

I worked in a high street bank for years so I would have been aware it would go back into the rejects box.

About three years ago my youngest found £1k in used notes tied in a hairband at a caravan site. She’s amazing at finding cash but this was defo her biggest haul. The caravan site was a real dive and had a lot of dodgy characters. She scooped the money up as we were walking back to our caravan so we carried on. When we got back we counted it and then got very concerned a drug dealer was about to get a bit heavy on our backsides! Anyway, we actually didn’t want to hand it in to security as we weren’t entirely sure they were above board. My DH went to the shop closest to where my DD had found it. With completely perfect timing a young lad, early 20’s, was having a bit of a panic about losing his wages (he was a labourer) and asking to the stores CCTV (this wouldn’t have shown my DD picking the cash up, she scooped it from behind a parked car that blocked the outside camera). My DH handed the money over and the lad gave my kids £20 each.

Edited at 01:50 PM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

100% handed it in to the bank. No hesitation.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Happened to me in the early 90s. Bank was closed so I took it to the police station down the road. All the way walking there I felt so guilty!

As I was filling out the form a lady rushed in saying she had lost money from a cashpoint - case was closed!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Hand it straight into the bank, imagine the disappointment of realising you left it, and the relief of knowing someone has handed it in.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I would have waited for the machine to take it back in so that no one else could take the money.

As a child I found a £5 note in a shop and I insisted we hand it in to the shop owner, the owner was quite surprised and she took my address incase no one came to claim it. They actually did forward it on to me a few weeks later.

I’ve also found a bag containing money, foreign cash, passport, driving licence, loads of cards ect, we handed that in to a nearby shop and the woman rang us later on to thank us for handing it in.

Also when I was about 13, my friend and I went to a supermarket and found a wallet on the floor full of cash outside, we went in to the store and handed that in. Never heard anything from that though.
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We also found a watch when I was a kid, handed into the police station and got a box of chocolates from the owner, as a kid I thought that was great and looked for lost things!
Old 17 Nov 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Also aware that the machine takes it back and re-credits the account so would have waited for that.

If unaware of that, noted the time and then taken it to the bank that owned the cashpoint giving them the information to hopefully identify the transaction and credit the owner.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Well you learn something new every day, I didn't know the machines took it back in so now I'd wait for it to do that. Otherwise I'd have handed it into the bank (if open) or rung them if closed and handed it back asap.

When my girls were much younger they had been to tea with a school friend and her Mum had taken them to Morrisons on the way home- they had found £20 in the self serve till and she had scooped it up and bought them chocolates with it. When they told us my Husband was furious- poor kids were mortified as they had just done what the adult with them had said at the time.

On holiday earlier this year my Husband found a phone dropped on the pavement- he picked it up and we took it to the local police station- no one came to answer. It had been dropped near a parade of shops but unclear which the person might have been in or if they would have know where they dropped it luckily one of the shops rang the phone so we were able to return it.