Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Aug 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

The article is clickbait. For a start you are not expected to tip in Spain, nevermind nearly 20% on average.
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Well I know a lot on here will probably shoot me down in flames but I think that sort of tip is ludicrous.
yeah snap but I don't care . My son nearly had a heart attack when he added up 14 nights of onsite tips

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Let's throw this in the mix.

I am watching the morning News here now.

Osceola County are giving a $20 bonus a day to their fully qualified teachers on top of their $12 an hour rate. This is because they are having difficulty recruiting. However this bonus is only payable on 11 days of the year not every day.

The $12 rate is only paid to those with many years of service. Newly qualified teachers get $9 an hour.

Servers in top Disney Signature restaurants are on over $100k per annum.

The World has gone nuts.
There's a Reddit Q and A where a response to a Disney server Q and A is from a US emergency room doctor who points out they are getting 2x his pay.
I had it from the horses mouth last month- ex Disney worker, the staff at the higher end restaurants are making 100k a year.
My view on this subject now is if anyone (it's even worse on Facebook ) wishes to 'tip shame' other Dibbers about leaving 10 or 15% ignore them - let them fund the lifestyles way out of proportion of the skillset required for the job, probably getting paid significantly more than they are. Tip what you want taking into account if you wish the likely incomes (full tables, grossly inflated food prices).
The serving staff at Disney Springs have had security accompanying them to the cars they are so loaded with cash.
Me, I'll never leave more than 10/15% in Disney unless exceptional. I'll save 18- 20% for the folks working places like Longhorn, Applebees etc.

Edited at 02:09 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mariechez View Post
I don't mind tipping but this is what winds me up. We were tipping $70+ a meal sometimes because of more expensive drinks and food (onsite). That's a lot of money.
It is. And you don't have to tip that amount. It's entirely your choice. The 18%/20% is merely a suggestion. It isn't compulsory. There's no law that says you must tip $70 a meal.

Of course, when we see the suggestion 18%/20% amounts listed on the bottom of a bill many of us feel ashamed to tip significantly lower than that. We assume that's the "correct" amount to tip. But if tipping $70 winds you up then, well, don't tip that amount. It's your choice.

BTW, it's not like it was Disney that came up with the suggested 18%/20% amounts. It seems to be the standard in the US and so Disney are just following along (much to the delight of the servers, I'm sure).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:27 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

I always have, and always will tip how much I want to whom I want and will never take account of a suggested amount or percentage - I see no reason to do so.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

In Quebec one year we had a nice meal in a nice hotel restaurant, but the server never uttered a word to us except to say thank you when we gave her our order. She presented it at the table and said Bon Appetit - sum total of our contact. Food was good so DH left what he considered a good tip. She was plainly not happy & 5 mins later another waitress came to my DH and said was he aware he had not offered a good enough tip! He was furious & told the waitress that he had tipped what HE thought appropriate for the service we had received and she should be lucky to get a tip at all & we would never be returning to that restaurant again. He repeated the scenario to the manager on the way out, who apologised & said he would make sure it did not happen again - we have never returned to that restaurant in all the other times we have been to QC!
We always tip in the States but what WE think is an appropriate amount for the service we get, chase us down the road and they will be asked for a refund of what was left for their downright cheek! That's just plain inappropriate behavior & what about the fact that they have left their station so leaving others waiting to be served!

Edited at 02:31 PM.
THE WIZARD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I have no idea how to report them to the IRS and I doubt I'd actually say the above. But it's easy to say these things on the internet.
Here you go...
irs.gov/individuals/how-..aud-activity

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tracy34 View Post
The meal was $250... $20 is an insult...
I'd have chased him as well and give it him back for his cheek.
Really? getting no tip maybe an insult

I like to think I am a generous tipper , the % expected is getting higher , and the more the % is accepted the higher it will go

You maybe could understand low wages , being supplemented by tips from comparatively wealthy tourists, There is no excuse for low wages in a country such as the USA
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lesley1960 View Post
Really? getting no tip maybe an insult

I like to think I am a generous tipper , the % expected is getting higher , and the more the % is accepted the higher it will go

You maybe could understand low wages , being supplemented by tips from comparatively wealthy tourists, There is no excuse for low wages in a country such as the USA
Low wages is something of a fallacy.

Florida has a minimum wage which is v similar to our under 21 one, and the employer must make up the wage to that.

Now, neither I nor do I think anyone else is saying servers in US are on tipped positions and not to tip. What we are objecting to is ever increasing sums, and greedy behaviours and entitlement which has now been reported on Dibb twice in as many days.

People keep also saying we should tip housekeepers. Soon the Disney ones are on $15 an hour! How many housekeepers in the UK are making that sort of money? Not many.
Old 23 Aug 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Low wages is something of a fallacy.

Florida has a minimum wage which is v similar to our under 21 one, and the employer must make up the wage to that.

Now, neither I nor do I think anyone else is saying servers in US are on tipped positions and not to tip. What we are objecting to is ever increasing sums, and greedy behaviours and entitlement which has now been reported on Dibb twice in as many days.

People keep also saying we should tip housekeepers. Soon the Disney ones are on $15 an hour! How many housekeepers in the UK are making that sort of money? Not many.
Every Housekeeper I am seeing here in SSR is on their iPhoneX or XR as I can't tell the difference. Mmmm.

Plus they aren't the Disney phones as I can tell them by the rugged case they are in.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List