Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Aug 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Use years question

So after many years of trips we are considering purchasing our first dvc resale. Before we offer on a contract though I was just wondering are there any advantages/disadvantages to particular use months? I understand that if you have more than one contract you would ideally want the same months but as we are just looking for one contract I wasn't sure if the month makes any difference at all?
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

You're best to have a UY that is just before you travel, then should you have to cancel, you can still use or bank your points.

I have a February UY on my contracts, we mostly 'did' (the way we use it has changed a lot since buying in 2002) mostly travel in May or August, my banking window is the end of September, so had we ever needed to cancel we were still within that.

I hope that makes sense.

For me it's become pretty moot as now the kids are grown and we can go out during term time, we're just as likely to go in January for the cheaper flights and lower crowds.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
You're best to have a UY that is just before you travel, then should you have to cancel, you can still use or bank your points.
Perfect answer.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®
Old 11 Aug 20, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

We no longer go at the same time each year so this is a tricky one for us, other than when we are most likely to go is there not really any difference? Can I still book at 11 months out even if it is not my use year and there are no points. For example if I buy a contract with no 2020 points but some 2021 ones, can i use these at 11 months or do I need to wait until the use year in order to use them to book? Sorry this is getting more complicated - I am sure there are very simple explanations but the use year element is the one that is confusing me most
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Merryweather17 View Post
We no longer go at the same time each year so this is a tricky one for us, other than when we are most likely to go is there not really any difference? Can I still book at 11 months out even if it is not my use year and there are no points. For example if I buy a contract with no 2020 points but some 2021 ones, can i use these at 11 months or do I need to wait until the use year in order to use them to book? Sorry this is getting more complicated - I am sure there are very simple explanations but the use year element is the one that is confusing me most
The points just need to be available from the first day of your trip. e.g. if you have a April UY and no 2020 points you can still book 11 months out for 1st April 2021 onwards(or sooner if you borrow).
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It makes no difference to when you can book. As long as the points will be available at check in.

The only time use year becomes I
an issue is if you have to cancel.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by shelle View Post
The points just need to be available from the first day of your trip. e.g. if you have a April UY and no 2020 points you can still book 11 months out for 1st April 2021 onwards(or sooner if you borrow).
Thanks, that is very clear and it puts my mind at rest, I am gradually moving from a maybe to a yes on this.
Old 11 Aug 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
It makes no difference to when you can book. As long as the points will be available at check in.

The only time use year becomes I
an issue is if you have to cancel.
I noticed your BW picture, this is one of our short list to buy at, can I ask what made you choose this resort? Just curious to see if our reasons match the reality!
Old 11 Aug 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It was the resort I’d always dreamed of staying in and didn’t think I’d ever be able too.

We’ve now stayed there many tines and it’s never let us down.

Location is fantastic.

Standard view rooms are a points bargain. But Boardwalk view is a real treat too.

I love the rooms / the atmosphere about the hotel / walking to the parks / the Boardwalk ‘buzz’ at night with people strolling around.

Negatives. Which don’t bother us. But for balance.

It’s got an early end date so you will get less years than a newer resort.

Quick service options are limited. We are more likely to eat out or in our room so on those occasions we do need a quick service then we go to Picabu in the swan or get a pizza or there are some takeaway options and we take it back to our room.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
It was the resort I’d always dreamed of staying in and didn’t think I’d ever be able too.

We’ve now stayed there many tines and it’s never let us down.

Location is fantastic.

Standard view rooms are a points bargain. But Boardwalk view is a real treat too.

I love the rooms / the atmosphere about the hotel / walking to the parks / the Boardwalk ‘buzz’ at night with people strolling around.

Negatives. Which don’t bother us. But for balance.

It’s got an early end date so you will get less years than a newer resort.

Quick service options are limited. We are more likely to eat out or in our room so on those occasions we do need a quick service then we go to Picabu in the swan or get a pizza or there are some takeaway options and we take it back to our room.
The end date is something that has us leaning towards one of the later resorts for greater value for £$ in the longer term. Does anyone know if disney would consider extending the date of some of the 2042 resorts in the way they did with OKW?