Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Sep 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Dd has always had a lift the school which is a 5 to 10 min car journey, she used to catch the school bus home which is about 20 mins (the bus goes the long way round) then a 10 min walk from the bus stop but since starting sixth form I've been picking her up (I work from home) as the amount of stuff she has to take each day is ridiculous.

Edited at 10:58 PM.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

School is a 25 minute car journey away, 45 minute bus and best part of a day if you walked.

There is a secondary school 2 minutes walk away but absolutely no way she is ever going to that hell hole
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
School is a 25 minute car journey away, 45 minute bus and best part of a day if you walked.

There is a secondary school 2 minutes walk away but absolutely no way she is ever going to that hell hole
I feel the same, lol
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Lucky enough to live a 5 minutes walk from one of the best secondary schools in our county.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

@10 mins walk but takes this long as the school entrance is right on the other side so my daughter has to walk round the school perimeter to get in ! they do have another gate she passes but this isnt used/manned as they 'dont have enough' teachers... 1600 pupils im sure they do have enough ;-)
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
CazP
Imagineer

Secondary school was only a ten minute walk from home. DD decided to change for a sixth form 9 miles away. We leave at 8, I drop her at train station which is just less than a mile. The train only takes 7 mins but the timetable doesn't run nicely with school so she's there at 8.22 or not in time to walk to school. Likewise they finish at 3.30 and don't have time to get there for 3.34 so it's then a wait for 1/2 hour at the station.
It was the right place for her subject choices so the traveling just has to be put up with
WDW Oct 1991 HoJo DLP June 2001 Cheyenne DLP Santa Fe Feb 2003 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2008 WDW Xmas 2008 CBR DLP Santa Fe Oct 2010 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2012 Ramada Int. Drive Aug 2013 DLP Cheyenne Oct 2014 IDrive & OKW July/August 2016 Oct 2016 Cheyenne DLP Aug 2017 Fairfield Inn July 2018 Newport Bay
CazP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

We were told today my son will be getting offer in the next few weeks for our top choice. This will require commute, but it will have to be put up with and as I don't like the local schools I am willing to move if it's too hard.

It's really good school that is hard to get in and reading that other kids manage well similar commute have been very helpful. I know this is holiday planning forum but there is so much other knowledge and experience too - I appreciate the time dibbers took to reply to my posts in last few weeks

Edited at 01:31 PM.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Around here many, many people commute anything from 30 mins to 1 and a half hours each way. They have their friends and /or music on the train /bus and the vast majority manage it really well.

I'm sure your son will be fine commuting especially if he stays at his granny's when necessary
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Hi Alien. Congratulations on your good news. My dd is in yr 6 too, and we live in an 11+ area. waiting till next thurs and the thurs after that for 2 11+ results, need to make our choices by 31 oct, and then wait till 1st march to actually find out what school she will get.

the waiting is killing me, and it isn't doing her much good either! Finding it very hard to choose non selective schools to visit, as only 2 we are happiest with, and conscious that we would like her to have more choice. with the various admission criteria school to school it can be very hard to work out what are viable options.

Ive tried to make an apt to see school for advice, but still waiting to hear nearly 1 week later.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I used to commute just under 4 miles to school, catchment area had an odd bulge to it so the bus passed the high school kids living on the other side of our road went to. My brother got a scholarship so travelled 11 miles by train. I agree with the comment the journey gets shorter as they get older. I'd quite often do my homework on the bus if I wasn't travelling with friends.
My son went to college 24 miles and two trains away, despite his disabilities he managed really well through rail service disruptions . Having the relevant apps so he knew what was happening with delays was really useful.

(My brother also had the "granny option" and it came in very useful a few times when there was bad weather or strikes)

Worst commute for us was year six we moved house unexpectedly and rather than move for year 6 and then again for year 7 he stayed at his excellent primary I drove 44 miles each way including the M25 . It was the right decision but a long year !

Edited at 09:51 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List