Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 28 Mar 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Croatia? I've not travelled alone but thinking about it more and more. A friend and I went to Dubrovnik for a 3 night break loads to see and do. X
Old 28 Mar 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
langside
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 54
I’ve done both Rome (with a day trip to Florence) and Geneva as a solo female & enjoyed both - felt very safe and would return to both although Italy would edge it (the trains were so cheap and easy I’d definitely consider booking cheap flights somewhere but then city hop using the trains).
I’ve just booke Dubai for a bargain price for my next mini get away but it is during Ramadan so not ideal for everyone but perfect for a recharge of batteries getaway
langside is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Another place I was wondering about was Poland and specifically Auschwitz as it's somewhere my dad always wanted to go and see but never made it, I know very little about it and if it's somewhere safe to go alone.
I went to Krakow in 2016 and really enjoyed it. I think you’d be perfectly safe, especially staying somewhere near the main square. We did trips to Auschwitz and the Salt Mines but we wished we’d done the tour of the Jewish Quarter too as it wasn’t the same wandering with our guide book. We also did a tour of Schindler’s Factory which was excellent. We found the people hospitable and everything was really cheap!
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
venice would be a good shout, very safe and lots to see, I'd love to go again just on my own 😂

A cruise would also be a good shout.

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My choice would be Berlin, lots to see and do. Very easy to get around and pretty cheap too!
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFi
Very Serious Dibber

What about Rome? Lots of places of interest, easy to walk around too.
FloridaFi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Florence - absolutely gorgeous. Small and very walkable. The only dodgy place is the main train station but other than that it is wonderful. Get a direct flight from the UK to Florence or you could fly into Pisa and get the train. I spent 5 days there with DH - he was attending a conference so I was by myself every day and I walked everywhere. So much art and history there - and I could spend as long as I liked looking at everything. Uffizi Gallery, statue of David in the Accademia, pitti palace and the boboli gardens - Monty Don did a programme on the gardens which is how I found out about them. And the food and wine! Bliss! Spring or autumn are good times to go. The summer is too hot.
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

If I was you I would visit Poland but not yet , I’ve been to Poland and Auschwitz and it is interesting but quite mentally draining.
As you have had such a time if it lately I think something lighter would be ideal to charge your batteries.
I might be wrong though so if I am I apologise.
I’ve been to
Boston
Sweden
Denmark
Greece
Canada
Australia
And all the places Mel has been solo and felt safe in all.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
If I was you I would visit Poland but not yet , I’ve been to Poland and Auschwitz and it is interesting but quite mentally draining.
As you have had such a time if it lately I think something lighter would be ideal to charge your batteries.

That is a good point, I did wonder if giving myself the space to 'get it all out' would actually be beneficial, as I do tend to keep it all inside. It will be really draining, there are branches of my family tree that come to an abrupt end around that time which we suspect were Auschwitz, hence why my dad always wanted to go.

It may actually be somewhere that's better to go with DH rather than alone. Thank you

My DD (23) and I are going to do a few days in Rome together, & now that I have a start date for my new job, I think I'll play it by ear and book something for just me really last minute / the day before so I've not time to dwell on if it's the right place, I'll just know I fancied it 'yesterday'!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
That is a good point, I did wonder if giving myself the space to 'get it all out' would actually be beneficial, as I do tend to keep it all inside. It will be really draining, there are branches of my family tree that come to an abrupt end around that time which we suspect were Auschwitz, hence why my dad always wanted to go.

It may actually be somewhere that's better to go with DH rather than alone. Thank you

My DD (23) and I are going to do a few days in Rome together, & now that I have a start date for my new job, I think I'll play it by ear and book something for just me really last minute / the day before so I've not time to dwell on if it's the right place, I'll just know I fancied it 'yesterday'!
I was going to say the same about Auschwitz. Perfectly safe to do on your own but mentally draining. I've been countless times with a wide range of people (I educate on student visits) but I would always want someone to have a chat (and a drink) with afterwards.

The last minute, play it by ear sounds good.
I'm planning on doing a few solo city breaks over the next few years, with my new job I get silly amounts of holidays and there are places I want to see that my husband has no interest in (mainly history related). Top of my list is Washington DC but also lots of Europe, Prague, Budapest, Paris to do it properly, Venice. My bucket list is long!