Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 24 Sep 19, 04:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Yachtsman Steakhouse this evening

I had booked dinner at BOG for this evening but after reading lots of rave reviews about Yachtsman Steakhouse on here I cancelled BOG and booked Yachtsman. I wish I hadn't. It was the worst restaurant experience I have ever had anywhere.

To start with they were running 20 minutes late. When I finally got in I couldn't hear myself think it was so noisy, mainly large groups, including lots of little, presumably tired, kids. It was worse than a school canteen. One couple who arrived not long after me had a drink then left. They told the waiter it was because it was so noisy. I stuck it out but wished I hadn't as the meal was awful. All I could taste in my starter and main course was salt. I didn't stick around for dessert, I just wanted to get out of there. At least I've got free dining! But it was definitely not a 2 credit experience.

I mentioned all this on a FB group I belong to and everyone who responded said they'd had similar experiences over the last couple of months and all regretted going there. So it wasn't just me being fussy.

Edited at 04:30 AM.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 05:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Oh dear, what a shame. It was one of our best meals in 2014 but I have heard several less good reviews lately.

Noise is such an unpredictable thing too, isn’t it? Most of our restaurants were quiet and relaxed but Cali Grill was noisy and rushed and it really put me off.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Such a shame- we have had some excellent meals there over the years. Not been since 2016 though but was thinking about going again on our next trip. Might not bother. Disney do seem to struggle to keep the standard of restaurants constant don't they. I can understand a bad day but when a really good place suddenly goes down hill for months it's such a shame.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Made this point a few times you get much better steaks off site for less money
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
welsh wizard
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Was always a must do for us but last time we didn’t enjoy and with so many new restaurants to try it hasn’t made the cut this time!
Old 24 Sep 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We like it there and have been 3 or 4 times over the years. We've had some good interactions with the cast members there who have made time to stop and chat, and we have always enjoyed our food.

HOWEVER, I do agree it can be noisy and there is nothing worse than being next to a large table of more than one family together, all catching up, kids over tired, and folk generally being inconsiderate of others around that simply want to enjoy their meals in peace. Also irks me when folk make no attempt to keep with the published dress code and are still allowed in. Disney would rather have the money than offend anyone or turn them away, I can see the dress code being abandoned in the near future at signatures.

I guess the answer could be that large restaurants have a separate section for parties of 7 or more, or an adults only section. And more soft furnishings are needed to absorb the noise. Yachtsman and Narcoosees are both particularly bad or this.
Old 24 Sep 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

Mobile

We went last year on DDP and I don’t see what all the fuss is about.

Sorry the OP had a unpleasant experience.

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022 & May 2023
Drury Plaza (first adults only trip!) ~ Aug 2024

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

I've always had excellent experiences - in fact it is my favourite onsite restaurant so really disappointing to hear it has been going downhill lately
Sorry the OP had a bad meal!
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amarooney View Post
Made this point a few times you get much better steaks off site for less money
I didn't have steak as I don't like it plus I can't drive so would have had to have paid uber charges. I'm staying at Beach Club so this was convenient as it was right next door.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for all your kind comments. I'm having lunch at Jungle Skipper Canteen in MK today. I had an excellent meal and service there a few days ago and looking forward to returning there 😀