Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Aug 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

New York to Philadelpha for the day?

We have a week in New York this Christmas and are considering taking a trip by train to Philly for the day to see the Liverty Bell etc. Anyone done this or have any hints or tips? Is it worth the trip?
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

I've done the train journey one way. Get to the train station with plenty of time as I found the train station confusing to find correct platform.

We didn't bother with going into the Liberty bell as you can see it close up from the window outside.

If you want to go to Independence Hall book your tour in advance, it's free but there a $2 booking fee but means you get the time you want and no massive queue for a ticket for whatever time they have left. You can only go in by tour not just wander round.

Elfreth's Alley is nice to have a stroll down too. Its the oldest street that been continuously lived in in America. Leads you down quite close to the river. Also you pass what's meant to be the birth place of the US flag, Betsy Ross house.

I really wanted to visit the Eastern State Penitentiary tour as it's meant to be better than Alcatraz but we didnt manage to fit it in unfortunately.
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Thankyou, will check out the prison as that's something we'd be interested in. so you think it's a good idea just for a day?
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'd say a day trip is good as I think you can get it done in that time. I've been there twice but only to go to gigs, I did the tourist stuff as I was there anyway, nothing wrong with the place but didnt make me want to rush back.
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
wedinflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

wedinflorida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I went with Friends last year, we flew into New York, the following day we took the train to Washington (i second the getting to the station early, as we did find Penn station quite confusing and did get a Red Cap to help us). We spent two days in Washington, then took the train back up to Philadelphia, where we spent two nights in a Retro Caravan.

We only had one day to explore Philadelphia though, and one of our party wasn’t feeling great, so we left her behind and just the two of us went. We got an Uber to the rocky steps and we got there about 7:30am. Had the place to ourselves, other than a few people jogging.

We then walked into the city, taking in some sights. We went to the Reading Terminal Market for Breakfast which was amazing, so much choice. We had booked to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, I did them pretty much straight after each other.

After we went to the Benjamin Franklin Museum (very good for families) and also looked at where he lived and some burial sites. We had lunch in Reading Terminal again, checked out city hall (only for photos). Then had a quick look round Macy’s.

After we decided to go round East State Penitentiary - this was definitely the highlight of the trip. Spent a couple of hours there. We finally went back to the Rocky Steps at the museum and had another run up the steps and photos with the statues (my friend is a huge Sylvester Stallone fan) we had a walk round the park, before finally calling it a day, returning back to our lodgings and taking a stroll into a questionable area in search for some beers.

It was a great trip - after we spent 2 nights on an Amish farm, 4 nights in New York and a day trip to Boston.
wedinflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Thankyou. I think we'll definitely go then. Did you find the areas you visited safe? I keep seeing things about Philadelphia and dangerous areas which is making me slightly nervous. We are no strangers to cities, been to New York twice and just returned from Washington, D.C. We always keep to tourist areas etc. Did you find all the places you visited ok? Are they all walkable between each other?
Thanks for all the help. X