Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 31 Mar 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

Just got my Ooni, 12” gas model. Loved the first cook. Will do more on the weekend
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Just joining in now I’m waiting for my first dough to prove! I really hope it’s worked ok, I used the Ooni classic dough recipe and have made 2 batches as planning on doing 6 pizzas and 1 garlic bread later. Figured I’d freeze the final ball to see how it fairs.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

a couple of friends came over yesterday, so i made pizza...

these were 350g balls. the first one was a little smaller (13" or so) because the dough started tearing when stretching, the other one stretched out to approx 15"

i used mutti sauce because i'm lazy, frozen leftover chicken kebab meat, pepperoni, black pudding, olives, jalapenos, mozzarella, mature cheddar and parmesan

still got 3x 250g balls in the fridge for another night. possibly tonight, possibly tuesday...
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 21, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

had a couple of friends over for pizza yesterday. i made new york style. even got the meaty one up to nearly the full 16" capacity of the ooni

previously i'd been using 350g dough balls, and struggled to get it much bigger than 14", so this time i made a pair of 400g balls at 60% hydration

500g caputo blue 00
300g warm water
3g instant yeast
4g salt
and a teaspoon of sugar

mix for 5 mins till everything is pulled off the sides of the bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to proof for an hour or so. split ball into two, ball them up nicely and cover for a few more hours till theyve at least doubled in size.

this is the veggie one. i also used some diced up slices of vegan cheese that needed using. it didnt melt very well (they are the square white bits)

and heres the meaty... leftover chicken kebab meat, tiny sausage meatballs and pepperoni with mushrooms, onion and olives, as you can see, there's not mcuh bigger i can go with this oven, but thats fine

i cheated, i used a jar of MUTTI sauce. speaking of which, i just ordered some of the large cans of mutti, as it works out quite a bit cheaper than the glass jars from tesco/etc (which are £2ish a jar) - this works out at £1.25 per 400g jar instead

wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs H
slightly serious Dibber

Mrs H's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Am expecting delivery of my Freya 12" tomorrow and cannot wait! Is the recipe for dough on the Ooni website the best one to start with?
Mrs H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mrs H View Post
Am expecting delivery of my Freya 12" tomorrow and cannot wait! Is the recipe for dough on the Ooni website the best one to start with?
I did that one a couple of weeks ago and it worked really well, although mine didn’t seem to rise that much... tasted lovely though!
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs H View Post
I tried this recipe yesterday fir my first ever batch of pizza.
Tasted delicious
Old 15 Apr 21, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

today i have a couple of my oldest schoolfriends coming over, one of which i've not seen since his wedding a couple of years ago, so hoping the weather stays as nice as it is right now!

so i'm doing an attempt as some sort of philly cheesesteak pizza using a cream/cheese base instead of tomato. it's a variant of the mushroom & fontina pizza from chris kimball's milk street (he used to be head of ATK)

recipesfors.blogspot/201...-homemade.html

i've had this base before, and it's *damn* good.

small pot of double cream into the mixer and whip until peaks form (not too hard though) then add in salt, pepper and a buttload of cheese. i used red leicester (for a bit of that nuclear orange philly cheesesteak cheese-whizz effect), parmigiano reggiano and some extra mature cheddar. gently fold it all together and decant into a tub for tonight.

i have some fresh basil i'm going to chop and incorporate later when i need it too.

and then a bunch of beef. leftover from last sunday dinner, i just chopped into small chunks, bagged and froze it. i' got about half the bag out of the freezer to defrost, which should be enough for two 16" pizzas

i've got two 400g balls in a tub on the table coming up to temp. will be cooking around 5:30pm...
Old 15 Apr 21, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
today i have a couple of my oldest schoolfriends coming over, one of which i've not seen since his wedding a couple of years ago, so hoping the weather stays as nice as it is right now!

so i'm doing an attempt as some sort of philly cheesesteak pizza using a cream/cheese base instead of tomato. it's a variant of the mushroom & fontina pizza from chris kimball's milk street (he used to be head of ATK)

recipesfors.blogspot/201...-homemade.html

i've had this base before, and it's *damn* good.

small pot of double cream into the mixer and whip until peaks form (not too hard though) then add in salt, pepper and a buttload of cheese. i used red leicester (for a bit of that nuclear orange philly cheesesteak cheese-whizz effect), parmigiano reggiano and some extra mature cheddar. gently fold it all together and decant into a tub for tonight.

i have some fresh basil i'm going to chop and incorporate later when i need it too.

and then a bunch of beef. leftover from last sunday dinner, i just chopped into small chunks, bagged and froze it. i' got about half the bag out of the freezer to defrost, which should be enough for two 16" pizzas

i've got two 400g balls in a tub on the table coming up to temp. will be cooking around 5:30pm...
My mouth is watering after reading that, have you got room for one more?

Looking forward to the pics!
Old 15 Apr 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Erm, can some one please invite me round for homemade pizza 😋 my mouth is literally watering at these pictures and I can’t make dough 😖
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List