Notices

Old 3 Nov 21, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Malificent
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by jojo_3596 View Post
Rumour only at the minute- but Ive just come out of a meeting with my clinical director, who had just come out of a meeting with the public health director for our region. Apparently a second dose WILL be offered to all 12-15 year old. Announcement due imminently apparently- will wait and see...
Thank you for sharing this. Itís something Iíve been watching for.
Malificent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Okay, I'm now seriously miffed with the JCVI. Their numbers on which they based the "marginal difference" (which turned out to be pretty strongly that the vaccine was considerably better than infection) was based on the assumption that just 4.2% of children would get infected!

A 4.2% attack rate!?!?

By the ONS survey data, we had more than that infected in the last week of the data (16-22 October!)

Since the 1st of July (when the meeting was held), around 35% (range 28%-41%) of secondary school aged children have been infected. This, at a stroke, turns it into hugely directly beneficial for vaccination for the children.

I'm genuinely shocked at how this can have gone through. I suppose they just took the estimated attack rate from the previous period in question and adopted it without looking properly at it - which made all the subsequent calculations wrong.

Sorry, Iím not one to understand this properly. Can someone tell me what Andy means by this please? Should the teens have been vaccinated sooner and quicker, or does he mean that as they were infected at such high rates, this rendered the vaccine unnecessary? Wondering as ds had his vaccination yesterday, but hasnít had covid, although a large proportion of children at his school have.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling.
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
Sorry, Iím not one to understand this properly. Can someone tell me what Andy means by this please? Should the teens have been vaccinated sooner and quicker, or does he mean that as they were infected at such high rates, this rendered the vaccine unnecessary? Wondering as ds had his vaccination yesterday, but hasnít had covid, although a large proportion of children at his school have.
My interpretation is that he means once approved for the 12-15s the vaccines should have been administered quicker which would have helped curtail the spread. As they didnít many more were infected and were able to spread to the wider population as well as having to further delay their own vaccine.
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
The JCVI should have recommended immediate vaccination at their meeting at the end of June.

The numbers on which they based their ďitís a benefit, but itís marginal, so we wonít make a recommendationĒ decision were based on an assumption that only about one in twenty-five children would be exposed to covid. And that therefore the number protected by vaccination would be very small.

This was horribly wrong - nearly ten times as many children have been exposed to covid since then, so vaccination would have protected ten times as many children and averted ten times as many hospitalisations as their numbers assumed.

Had they recommended 12-15 vaccinations at that meeting, the teen rollout could have been done before schools returned at the start of September.
Andy C is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Thank you, I thought that was what it meant, but I like to be sure Iím interpreting things correctly. The school vaccination rollout has been shockingly slow, this goes a long way to explain why.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling.
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

So:

JCVI failed to back youth Covid jabs despite favourable modelling

and

JCVI discussed herd immunity among children before not endorsing jab rollout

However, a recent letter in the BMJ mentions the article from The Guardian alongside concerns that JCVI have had no additional resources to do the additional work necessary during the pandemic.
Old 10 Nov 21, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

DS should have had his nasal flu vaccine tomorrow at school and it has just been cancelled 'due to Covid'. It's now been scheduled for mid to late January, so not even sure its going to be that useful by then. The Covid vaccine team still haven't been in his school as it has been cancelled twice. I took him to a vaccination centre to be done myself last week. The roll out to kids in my area has quite frankly been horrific.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

My daughter got both on Monday, flu nasal & first Pfizer. Sheís been sent home early today with a temperature so I donít know which one has caused it? Probably the Pfizer as sheís had the flu nasal for years & itís never flinched on her.
She had Covid a month ago so hoping itís not that.

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22x2.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17.
✨Disneyland Tokyo - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018.
✨Disney Magic - 2021.
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, LA,Grand Canyon -18 19.
⭐️San Francisco - 2019.
⭐️Washington DC, Seattle -2022
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
DS should have had his nasal flu vaccine tomorrow at school and it has just been cancelled 'due to Covid'. It's now been scheduled for mid to late January, so not even sure its going to be that useful by then. The Covid vaccine team still haven't been in his school as it has been cancelled twice. I took him to a vaccination centre to be done myself last week. The roll out to kids in my area has quite frankly been horrific.
Same here, really poor - still no word on when we might expect a visit from the vaccine team at school. Like you, I've already had my daughter vaccinated for Covid, but would like her to have flu nasal spray some time before the end of winter
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

twbstaffsandstoke.uk...2-15-year-olds

For anyone in the staffs area - these are all walk in clinics and I know the de Ferrers one has said you donít have to be from the area so I assume itís the same everywhere else as well. May help someone I hope?
lisa12000___ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List