Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 21, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
I am sure it’s perfectly possible to have a dog that likes people and doesn’t like other animals .
Not that I would be comfortable keeping one that showed those traits because ‘ you just never know’

But to BUY ( or take on) a dog knowing that the owner is getting rid of it because he feared for his other pets , is beyond irresponsible and whatever can be done to the new owner ( and for that matter the old owner ) by applying whatever laws there are about these kind of things is fine by me
You dislike all dogs so wouldn’t be comfortable keeping any dog … but yes its perfectly possible to to have a dog that doesn’t like other animals and keep them apart , happens all the time.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
It’s a dog , how do you apportion blame to it ? How’s it ever going to understand (though i assume it’s been put to sleep now / or will be )

All dogs recognise the difference between dogs and humans, just as my dog for example knows what a cat is.

This dog should never have been sold on re homed …It should have been placed with a proper rescue who would have assessed him properly and only re homed him somewhere suitable ( if there was anyway, and assuming he wasn’t a banned breed )

I have a big Chocolate Lab , I also have a toddler living here..It’s our responsibility to keep both the dog and child safe, So they are never ever left alone together , Even though they adore each other.

Years ago my parents rescued a mix breed (lab x) , she had clearly had trauma in her life and was totally scared of all men other than my dad . So any males that came to our house were kept away from her.
DB. It was shot by the Police who attended. More photos on BBC Wales News just now of it. Taken from social media I think

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

You dislike all dogs so wouldn’t be comfortable keeping any dog … but yes its perfectly possible to to have a dog that doesn’t like other animals and keep them apart , happens all the time.
I don’t dislike dogs at all
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreamer
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Dreamer's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
It’s a dog , how do you apportion blame to it ? How’s it ever going to understand (though i assume it’s been put to sleep now / or will be )

All dogs recognise the difference between dogs and humans, just as my dog for example knows what a cat is.

This dog should never have been sold on re homed …It should have been placed with a proper rescue who would have assessed him properly and only re homed him somewhere suitable ( if there was anyway, and assuming he wasn’t a banned breed )

I have a big Chocolate Lab , I also have a toddler living here..It’s our responsibility to keep both the dog and child safe, So they are never ever left alone together , Even though they adore each other.

Years ago my parents rescued a mix breed (lab x) , she had clearly had trauma in her life and was totally scared of all men other than my dad . So any males that came to our house were kept away from her.

Agree with this 100%.

This is such a tragic situation and my heart goes out so much to this poor little boy and his family.

The fault with this, in my opinion, lies with those who have "cared" for this dog in the past. You cannot blame dog for their actions.
Invariably, a dog's actions will be a product of how they have been treated. My sister has a large breed rescue dog who has been severely damaged by previous owners. He's made fantastic progress but she will never trust him in the company of other dogs or children.

Blame the owners, not the dog.
Disney Dreamer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

The blame lies completely with the ‘owners’. Having a dog of that size and strength with a ‘suspect’ history that has also been traumatised by being moved between homes around children was absolutely unfathomable. The dog has been destroyed so can do no further harm but the people who bought it should be prosecuted for manslaughter in my opinion. I have a little boy who is 10 and I’m not ashamed to say that I cried when I read what had happened to this child.
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I know this probably isn’t a popular opinion, but I think a dog who is aggressive to other dogs can’t ever be trusted and really should be put to sleep. Small breeds may be manageable, but over a certain size or weight, they could potentially be lethal. I have had dogs all my life, all docile and happy in other dogs company. I would be very hesitant to go near a dog that was aggressive with other dogs. All too easy for the aggression to be transferred to a child. I have never left my dogs unattended with a child and I also shut my dog in the kitchen overnight, where there is no chance of escape. I do trust her, but she is a dog and in my opinion you can never put your trust in them completely, so I take no chances. A chap in our village had a white Alsatian who didn’t like other dogs, it ended up killing a poor little dog out for a walk, could have easily been a toddler. Heartbreaking what happened this week, it also happened a couple of years ago in a caravan in Cornwall. My heart goes out to the families of these children.,

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater

Edited at 08:12 PM.
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
I know this probably isn’t a popular opinion, but I think a dog who is aggressive to other dogs can’t ever be trusted and really should be put to sleep. Small breeds may be manageable, but over a certain size or weight, they could potentially be lethal. I have had dogs all my life, all docile and happy in other dogs company. I would be very hesitant to go near a dog that was aggressive with other dogs. All too easy for the aggression to be transferred to a child. I have never left my dogs unattended with a child and I also shut my dog in the kitchen overnight, where there is no chance of escape. I do trust her, but she is a dog and in my opinion you can never put your trust in them completely, so I take no chances. A chap in our village had a white Alsatian who didn’t like other dogs, it ended up killing a poor little dog out for a walk, could have easily been a toddler. Heartbreaking what happened this week, it also happened a couple of years ago in a caravan in Cornwall. My heart goes out to the families of these children.,
The incident in Cornwall was caused by the mother of the child taking drugs and drinking while she left her child in a different caravan with a dog who didn’t belong to the family. Again - this was caused by the neglect of the mother.
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

I wasn’t surprised that this hasn’t been posted on here already, due to it being such a tragic event. I am also not surprised that you, OP are the one that has now posted about it.
I don’t mean this in a bad way, but you really do seem to have a dislike/fear of dogs from previous posts of yours.
As for the dog being to blame? It’s a dog - an animal. As much as us dog lovers really do love our pets, we know that they aren’t human and don’t follow our rules etc. They don’t understand right and wrong in the way that we do. They may react to us telling them ‘no’ or telling them off, but they don’t understand why really. They’re just picking up on our tone of voice and the fact we’re not happy than anything else.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

It’s a dog , how do you apportion blame to it ? How’s it ever going to understand
Originally Posted by Disney Dreamer View Post
Agree with this 100%.
Originally Posted by bronny View Post
The blame lies completely with the ‘owners’.
As a non-dog owner I am completely perplexed by this and would love to understand the logic of this .
Sure , throw the book at the owners but an animal can’t do something bad and be blameless .

If a dog can can be all the things that make it ‘ a mans best friend ‘ , can be on Britain’s got talent , can be a sheepdog or a working dog in the snow etc , etc etc , then it clearly can be taught right from wrong and can be taught to be responsible for its actions . Surely it can ‘ understand ‘ blame just the same as it understands that it gets a treat or a ‘ good boy ‘ when it ‘ sits’ or returns to its owner etc . Otherwise it wouldn’t do it .
Why do you think all these ‘ my dog wouldn’t do that’ events happen ? Because the dog has a brain and doesn’t always do what is expected ?
Why doesn’t a dog carry on pooing on the carpet ? Because it learns that it has done wrong and gets punished accordingly .
Why are some dogs easy to train and others not - because they have a kind of their own .

I just don’t get how it can be NOTHING to do with them .

I fully get that much of a dogs ‘ personality ‘ is taught and hence the owner has a massive say in how it reacts , but it doesn’t control it 100% - which explains my fear of ( in particular big ) dogs - and why dogs like humans don’t do the same thing every time .

It would be the same for any pet by the way - whether that be a cat , a horse even a rabbit . Animals have brains .
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 08:59 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Yes, animals have brains. Brains are needed just to function.
I’m struggling to understand why you think animals are able to use their brains in the same way as humans do?
Animals act on instinct - survival is mostly what their brains are used for. Not reasoning, or thinking whether biting something is right or wrong.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List