Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 1 Dec 21, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

NYE Dinner for guests

Inspire me! We have 8 adults and 5 children (10-13) coming over at NYE.

I don’t know whether to do a sit down dinner for the grown-ups and order in a dominos for the children, or to do a buffet for all.

My sit down idea is currently Indian/South Asian cooked from scratch. I love this sort of cooking and would prefer to eat this, but it is a commitment in terms of prep and washing up.

Or I could do a largely prepare in advance buffet supplemented by Mr M+S and get drunk with my guests 🤣

Any other suggestions for feeding this sort of group size?
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 21, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I love cooking from scratch too. We've done NYE a few times. When feeding a crowd I prefer to do 2 or 3 options. My go to is a couple of slow cookers filled with pulled pork, a bowl of homemade coleslaw and pre buttered rolls, an ovenproof dish with either lasagne or chicken crusty bake (some rice boiled for 10 mins, quick drain and over with a lid and some towels to finish off the cooking and will sit warm for some time), or a homemade curry (with same rice). I personally would steer clear of M&S. I find by the time I've prepped the house and food and had a couple of glasses of something I can't then concentrate on oven timings heat up stuff.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 21, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
I love cooking from scratch too. We've done NYE a few times. When feeding a crowd I prefer to do 2 or 3 options. My go to is a couple of slow cookers filled with pulled pork, a bowl of homemade coleslaw and pre buttered rolls, an ovenproof dish with either lasagne or chicken crusty bake (some rice boiled for 10 mins, quick drain and over with a lid and some towels to finish off the cooking and will sit warm for some time), or a homemade curry (with same rice). I personally would steer clear of M&S. I find by the time I've prepped the house and food and had a couple of glasses of something I can't then concentrate on oven timings heat up stuff.
Ooh thank you. Like those ideas. Good point re heating buffet food too x
Old 1 Dec 21, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

I’d go with a slow cooker option too so you can relax and enjoy the evening.

Dominos for the kids sounds like a good plan though.
Old 1 Dec 21, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I love to do a charcuterie/cheese board for nibbles and then do a chicken traybake (Jamie Oliver has a great recipe for a chicken, cherry tomato and baby potatoes with balsamic vinegar). Mac n cheese is fab for the kids (and adults!) and I am all about reheating everything when the guests arrive. I don’t like being stuck in the kitchen, missing out on all the fun. 😁
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Wishtogoback
Excited about Disney

My husband is from a big family so we have a formula when having everyone over; a big lasagne, we have a really large deep dish and a pasta bake as an alternative. Some salad, coleslaw and bread rolls to fill up and everyone is happy 😀I tried the buffets over the years and they are really hard work. This way the food is in the oven when guests arrive and I get to be part of it, less washing too as using less dishes. I would possible consider frozen pizza for the kids …on NYE take always will be packed so you could be waiting.
Wishtogoback is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I love cooking from scratch, especially Indian food. I have done this for NYE before for 10 of us. I did a lamb madras and a Keralan fish curry and kept them hot in two slow cookers, then I did a chicken biryani which I kept warm in my large Le Creuset pot. I did lots of poppadoms with all the chutneys and naan breads. It was really easy effort as once I had cooked the curries they stayed hot and I could enjoy myself.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I love cooking from scratch, especially Indian food. I have done this for NYE before for 10 of us. I did a lamb madras and a Keralan fish curry and kept them hot in two slow cookers, then I did a chicken biryani which I kept warm in my large Le Creuset pot. I did lots of poppadoms with all the chutneys and naan breads. It was really easy effort as once I had cooked the curries they stayed hot and I could enjoy myself.
Oooh I could borrow some slow cookers and cook the curries earlier. That’s a good idea x
Old 2 Dec 21, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HelenLime View Post
Oooh I could borrow some slow cookers and cook the curries earlier. That’s a good idea x
If you are doing the fish curry just make the sauce and leave that in the the slow cooker on high then add the fish to cook it through just before you intend to serve it, other wise the fish gets overcooked and just flakes to mush. Also another good tip is the make the sauce a little thicker/dryer than you would like to serve it as moisture will come out of the fish to water it down a little.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List