Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Nov 21, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Danny Timm
Gone all Goofy

Disney with a toddler

Hi all, we’ve been to Disney numerous times before. But this next time is a little different as we have a DD to take for the first time.

When we go she’s going to be 18 months old. So a few questions please.

Car seats… is it easy to hire one or is it worth taking our own?

Travel cots… same as above really.

And any tips would be a massive help.

TIA

Danny
Danny Timm is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Fimble
Proud to wear my Ears

Hey, hopefully I can contribute a little bit.

From what we found, it is cheaper to buy a brand new child seat and take it over with you on the plane. Virgin Atlantic allow you to take one and a stroller for free per child.
The charges to rent from the car rental companies were extortionate where I looked.
Hopefully someone could chime in about making sure the chair meets USA standards.

Usually accomodation will have travel cots available, in villas and hotels. If not then it might be worth looking on the websites for Walmart, target or other stores to see if it's worth buying one over there. They may be quite bulky to take over.
Fimble is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaBears90
Having Dinner with Goofy

I got one for free as an add on when using BA Fly drive. We'll be there in just over 2 weeks so hopefully it'll be fine.
FloridaBears90 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

We've just rented the car seats along with the car both times we went with our DD (2 and 3 years old). It wasn't a hassle, the price was fine (booked via Andy with Alamo), and it saved us lugging it around airports. We didn't bring a travel cot either, all accommodations we stayed at (Windsor Hills condo, WH villa, and onsite at Disney) had cots there so no need.
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We have previously always taken our own car seat. This year, the first we will be travelling with both children, we have rented one for our eldest daughter (4) but are taking one for our youngest (1). Mainly because we won't have enough hands to carry both.

We bought a car seat bag from amazon and as there is no weight limit on the chair, we do always put our towels in with it to give it a bit of extra protection during travel.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
VS075
Serious Dibber

We hired a car seat through Dollar which should have cost (and been capped at) $100 after tax for our recent trip, but they priced it up wrong so cost us $38.

With all the bags and pram, the last thing I’d have wanted is a car seat - in fact, I think it’ll have been impossible to carry through MCO for us.

The only thing I will add, at least with Dollar, is none of the car seats were ISO fix so it was a pain to set up in the parking lot.
My experience on US borders opening day: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1207820
VS075 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
redemma13
Imagineer

redemma13's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Danny Timm View Post
Hi all, we’ve been to Disney numerous times before. But this next time is a little different as we have a DD to take for the first time.

When we go she’s going to be 18 months old. So a few questions please.

Car seats… is it easy to hire one or is it worth taking our own?

Travel cots… same as above really.

And any tips would be a massive help.

TIA

Danny
Hiya,

We hired ours with Avis and they fitted it no bother. Was rear facing as well.

We stayed in a villa and they had a travel cot that we used which was grand.

We also bought a $50 pram from Walmart that we left in the villa when we left. We didn't bother taking our own. Less stuff to carry about the airport.

Em
xxxx
redemma13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

We took our own ERF seat (Joie Stages) when we took our little boy at 23 months. I had kept its original box so packaged it up in that and padded it out with towels and nappies (super handy to free up space in the suitcases!)

We bought a really nice travel cot in Walmart for $50, which worked out cheaper than hiring one through the Villa company for two weeks. We did plan on leaving it there but it was so nice we brought it back home with us!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

We're going at the end of Jan and will be taking our little girl who will be 18 months. We've booked a package through virgin and added a car seat to the car hire and virgin advised the hotel will provide a cot.
I've seen the car seats for alamo are rear facing until they're 13kg, my little one is only 9.5kg now and we go in 2 months so imagine she will be OK in it (as she's also very short)!
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
steandtrish
Imagineer

steandtrish's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16
We took DS2 when he was 18 months. There is a baby care centre in Magic Kingdom. It's on the left at the top on Main Street just around the corner after Casey's Corner. It's a great place for a bit of calm and to get everything sorted.

I guess there must be something similar in the other parks although i can't remember using them.