Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 2 Dec 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Budget car hire

Hi anyone had experience of booking with Budget ? Positive or negative. Never used them before but their quote with Discount Florida is nearly half the price of Alamo for next year. I know we can’t bypass the desk but not an issue if there is no issue with them re rental itself
Old 2 Dec 21, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

I nearly rented with budget from LAX, I read some horror stories online for the LAX budget and nearer the time Alamo wasn't much more expensive.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

We will hopefully be renting with them in just over a couple of weeks through BA. Usually rent with Avis but Budget was much cheaper but they are the same company.

I have filled in the details for the Key Collection Desk which means I can skip the main queue but take a look at this thread where someone used the fastbreak, which is skip the counter Post 68

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...1207977&page=7
sparkles18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61

Originally Posted by sparkles18 View Post
We will hopefully be renting with them in just over a couple of weeks through BA. Usually rent with Avis but Budget was much cheaper but they are the same company.

I have filled in the details for the Key Collection Desk which means I can skip the main queue but take a look at this thread where someone used the fastbreak, which is skip the counter Post 68

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...1207977&page=7
We are booking through a third party so can’t do skip the counter but just hope they are an ok company to deal with
Old 2 Dec 21, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I’d say they’re all much of a muchness. You can have a bad experience with any of them. Dollar used to have a pretty bad rap (and probably still does) but we rented with them a few years ago and they were fine. We’ve also rented with Budget once, but again a few years ago - didn’t have any problems though.

Currently have a full-size 4-door car reserved with Budget through Andy @ DFCH from MCO for next November - like you, Budget was about half hte price of the others.
Incarniac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
fiffio
Imagineer

I would suggest you try Virgin car hire, miles cheaper for alamo than anyone else.

I’d pay a premium for alamo over anyone else for the skip the queue and choosing car but if it’s more then £250 cheaper I’d go with budget!
fiffio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fiffio View Post
I would suggest you try Virgin car hire, miles cheaper for alamo than anyone else.

I’d pay a premium for alamo over anyone else for the skip the queue and choosing car but if it’s more then £250 cheaper I’d go with budget!
I’d pay a little more for Alamo but not over £100, maybe about £50. You might be able to skip the queue but with the car issues at the moment you might only have a very limited choice of cars anyway. A couple of years ago at LAX I did straight to the garage and then was told to go in anyway, but the time I wasted doing that there was hardly any choice left. I appreciate MCO is generally pretty decent though.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
CRISSY61

Alamo has been the rental company of choice for many years due to the option of skipping the counter & avoiding the hard sell when tired after an early start & long flight. But this may be the year to change another tradition - flying with TUI instead of Virgin & into Melbourne -all new for us this time
Old 3 Dec 21, 02:24 AM  
Link to this Post
abbiev
Excited about Disney

We booked budget through andy and picked our car up at the airport yesterday, we had no hard sell,we followed the instructions andy sent us and made sure nothing was added and had no problem, we had to take the car to be exchanged this morning as there was a problem with the back wheel and we where upgraded for no extra charge, very happy with the service we received from both andy and budget
abbiev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 04:20 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CRISSY61 View Post
Hi anyone had experience of booking with Budget ? Positive or negative. Never used them before but their quote with Discount Florida is nearly half the price of Alamo for next year. I know we can’t bypass the desk but not an issue if there is no issue with them re rental itself
Hi Crissy, we travelled on 12th Nov with a pal who hired Budget via Andy, rate was £1k cheaper than other 25 day hire quotes. No queue at Mia Budget main desk so quickly sorted, unfortunately the car stunk of dogs. As the garage kiosk had one agent and a queue of circa 15 we head back up in the lift to the main desk, quick change to another motor and off we went - garage queue hadn't moved when we returned! Motor was ok but when I put my foot down to overtake it had a grating sound. Changed out the following day at the Cape Coral office.

IMHO this may be a reflection of the current situation; unable to restock inventory sold in 2020 suppliers need to retain motors far longer hence rentals have high mileage, are well worn with a possibility of mechanical/operating issues.

Budget Cape Coral were efficient and quick to re-issue, marking our pals return 'out of service'. A lady who entered the CC office after us was advised they had no available motors until Thanksgiving.