Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.
Orlando Attractions
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 11 Sep 19, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
#49
BevS97
Moderator

 
BevS97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 02

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I think we paid 35 each in advance for the Macarons class, on board they were charging 45. Some classes were more expensive especially if any of the 'food heroes' were hosting them- we had Eric Lanlard on board and I think his was really pricey which I guess is justified!
we did the family class. Off the top of my head it was 45 for the child and the adult was free.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I Love the Glitch thread!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
#50
Allisonjane
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Allisonjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 07
I am thinking of booking the Fjords cruise on the Iona next August. As you say the prices are really good and nothing else comes close.
But I've cruised before with Royal Caribbean, NCL and Disney and loved them all, so I'm worried I'm going to be disappointed. The ship is a big part of the holiday for me and we love all the quizzes, game shows etc. that the American cruise lines do, will there be enough to do on P and O?
The cruise is for my 50th Birthday and asked other family members to join us, so we are trying to keep the cost down, but would I be better to stick with what I know (RC or NCL) and pay a bit (or a lot) more?
__________________
Allison
June 93 -Days Suites, June 97 - Indian Ridge, June 00 - Comfort Inn, Aug 02 - Comfort Inn, Sept 03 - Cypress Pointe, Aug 04 - Cypress Pointe, Sept 07 - Pop/AKL + Fairytale Wedding, Dec 08 - Cypress Pointe, July 10 - Disney Magic, Sept 10 - OKW, Dec 11 - Pop/CB, May 13 - POFQ/Bellavida, May 15 - OKW/Windsor Hills/AKV, May 16 - Caribbean Beach

Edited at 07:15 PM.
Allisonjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Just the 3 of us
Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
#51
SquishTheWhale
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
SquishTheWhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 18
Location: Milton Keynes
Mobile

Originally Posted by Allisonjane View Post
I am thinking of booking the Fjords cruise on the Iona next August. As you say the prices are really good and nothing else comes close.
But I've cruised before with Royal Caribbean, NCL and Disney and loved them all, so I'm worried I'm going to be disappointed. The ship is a big part of the holiday for me and we love all the quizzes, game shows etc. that the American cruise lines do, will there be enough to do on P and O?
The cruise is for my 50th Birthday and asked other family members to join us, so we are trying to keep the cost down, but would I be better to stick with what I know (RC or NCL) and pay a bit (or a lot) more?
Honestly it's not an easy one. I think if you go in expecting RC or NCL you'll be dissapointed. Things like food and entertainment won't be on quite the same level.

However I think Iona will have a lot more to give than Britannia does and will be better suited to the Fjords with the indoor pool. I spent a lot of time on sea days reading in the cabin which I don't normally on a cruise, we're normally out doing stuff having fun on the ship.

You might be luckier with the entertainment team as they tend to send the best staff to the new ship. Quizzes and game shows etc depend on what you like- we love the hilarious and slightly naughty ones like The Quest on RC. They were more sedate and family friendly on P&O. Quizzes seemed aimed at an older generation but that might suit you better than us (Not trying to imply anything!). The guest speaker did a lecture about German tanks in ww2 or something. The guest entertainer was an Annie Lennox tribute. Again just not our thing, hopefully you'd get luckier than we did!

They was lots and lots of dance classes on sea days which normally we'd love but being pregnant I wasn't quite up to it. So I think we'd have been more entertained in different circumstances! The last day was super rocky and as I couldn't take any travel sickness pills I was just blurrrghhh, never mind dancing. Luckily the sea calmed down in time for us to do the Cookery Club which was definitley a highlight!

The way I'd look at it I think is if RC and NCL score 9s and 10s then P&O was 6s and 7s. Which still makes for a perfectly acceptable above average experience. But not a wow one.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time at Disney!
Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
#52
Allisonjane
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Allisonjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 07
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Honestly it's not an easy one. I think if you go in expecting RC or NCL you'll be dissapointed. Things like food and entertainment won't be on quite the same level.

However I think Iona will have a lot more to give than Britannia does and will be better suited to the Fjords with the indoor pool. I spent a lot of time on sea days reading in the cabin which I don't normally on a cruise, we're normally out doing stuff having fun on the ship.

You might be luckier with the entertainment team as they tend to send the best staff to the new ship. Quizzes and game shows etc depend on what you like- we love the hilarious and slightly naughty ones like The Quest on RC. They were more sedate and family friendly on P&O. Quizzes seemed aimed at an older generation but that might suit you better than us (Not trying to imply anything!). The guest speaker did a lecture about German tanks in ww2 or something. The guest entertainer was an Annie Lennox tribute. Again just not our thing, hopefully you'd get luckier than we did!

They was lots and lots of dance classes on sea days which normally we'd love but being pregnant I wasn't quite up to it. So I think we'd have been more entertained in different circumstances! The last day was super rocky and as I couldn't take any travel sickness pills I was just blurrrghhh, never mind dancing. Luckily the sea calmed down in time for us to do the Cookery Club which was definitley a highlight!

The way I'd look at it I think is if RC and NCL score 9s and 10s then P&O was 6s and 7s. Which still makes for a perfectly acceptable above average experience. But not a wow one.
Thank you for the reply.
It really is a tough one, we have sailed on Ncl Epic, Jewel and Jade and RC voyager, adventure and Libery, and also Disney Magic.
I prefer newer and larger ships, the bigger the better, that's why Iona appealed to me. That said Disney Magic was the smallest ship and my favourite cruise so far because the entertainment, food and service were so good.
We have done the Fjords before in August (7 years ago) with Royal and I remember the weather not being great so we were inside alot of the time, but there was lots to do. There will be 9 of us this time, ages 12-81, so we should be able to amuse ourselves, but still worried I will miss all the things I'm used to.
Price wise the Epic is probably closest but would have to add on flights, and we've done the itinerary twice already so that doesn't really excite me, but the weather would be better. We did love the Epic but now hubby is saying he doesn't want to go on a ship he's already been on.
Decisions decisions.
__________________
Allison
June 93 -Days Suites, June 97 - Indian Ridge, June 00 - Comfort Inn, Aug 02 - Comfort Inn, Sept 03 - Cypress Pointe, Aug 04 - Cypress Pointe, Sept 07 - Pop/AKL + Fairytale Wedding, Dec 08 - Cypress Pointe, July 10 - Disney Magic, Sept 10 - OKW, Dec 11 - Pop/CB, May 13 - POFQ/Bellavida, May 15 - OKW/Windsor Hills/AKV, May 16 - Caribbean Beach

Edited at 10:36 AM.
Allisonjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Just the 3 of us
Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
#53
SquishTheWhale
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
SquishTheWhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 18
Location: Milton Keynes
Mobile

Originally Posted by Allisonjane View Post
Thank you for the reply.
It really is a tough one, we have sailed on Ncl Epic, Jewel and Jade and RC voyager, adventure and Libery, and also Disney Magic.
I prefer newer and larger ships, the bigger the better, that's why Iona appealed to me. That said Disney Magic was the smallest ship and my favourite cruise so far because the entertainment, food and service were so good.
We have done the Fjords before in August (7 years ago) with Royal and I remember the weather not being great so we were inside alot of the time, but there was lots to do. There will be 9 of us this time, ages 12-81, so we should be able to amuse ourselves, but still worried I will miss all the things I'm used to.
Price wise the Epic is probably closest but would have to add on flights, and we've done the itinerary twice already so that doesn't really excite me, but the weather would be better. We did love the Epic but now hubby is saying he doesn't want to go on a ship he's already been on.
Decisions decisions.
I have a massive soft spot for the Epic as she was our first ever cruise, we'd go on her again in a heartbeat but I also agree trying out new ships is fun. And we mostly don't like to repeat itineraries if we can help it. I also love megaships, the bigger and flashier the better. The dream is to do RC Harmony or Symphony- one day!

I posed your question to my hubby last night and he said he wouldn't be keen on doing P&O again, UNLESS it was on Iona. I think I'd feel the same and I'd be willing to give Iona a shot.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time at Disney!
Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
#54
Allisonjane
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Allisonjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 07
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I have a massive soft spot for the Epic as she was our first ever cruise, we'd go on her again in a heartbeat but I also agree trying out new ships is fun. And we mostly don't like to repeat itineraries if we can help it. I also love megaships, the bigger and flashier the better. The dream is to do RC Harmony or Symphony- one day!

I posed your question to my hubby last night and he said he wouldn't be keen on doing P&O again, UNLESS it was on Iona. I think I'd feel the same and I'd be willing to give Iona a shot.
My dream is also one of the Oasis class ships, the Allure is in Europe next summer but silly prices, it would probably be cheaper to fly to New York for the Oasis, the other 2 are in the Caribbean. I am tempted to blow the budget as its my 50th, but then it would be unlikely that all the family would be able to come with us. Realistically I think that will have to wait until we aren't tied to school holidays anymore.
I keep looking at the Iona, and although it's big, there's no minigolf, bowling, ice skating, water slides, etc. that we're used to, my 12 year old won't go to kids clubs so I'm worried she'll be bored, and if she's moaning it's no fun for any of us
__________________
Allison
June 93 -Days Suites, June 97 - Indian Ridge, June 00 - Comfort Inn, Aug 02 - Comfort Inn, Sept 03 - Cypress Pointe, Aug 04 - Cypress Pointe, Sept 07 - Pop/AKL + Fairytale Wedding, Dec 08 - Cypress Pointe, July 10 - Disney Magic, Sept 10 - OKW, Dec 11 - Pop/CB, May 13 - POFQ/Bellavida, May 15 - OKW/Windsor Hills/AKV, May 16 - Caribbean Beach
Allisonjane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Just the 3 of us
Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
#55
SquishTheWhale
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
SquishTheWhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 18
Location: Milton Keynes
Originally Posted by Allisonjane View Post
My dream is also one of the Oasis class ships, the Allure is in Europe next summer but silly prices, it would probably be cheaper to fly to New York for the Oasis, the other 2 are in the Caribbean. I am tempted to blow the budget as its my 50th, but then it would be unlikely that all the family would be able to come with us. Realistically I think that will have to wait until we aren't tied to school holidays anymore.
I keep looking at the Iona, and although it's big, there's no minigolf, bowling, ice skating, water slides, etc. that we're used to, my 12 year old won't go to kids clubs so I'm worried she'll be bored, and if she's moaning it's no fun for any of us
Hmm if the 12yr old won't do the kids clubs I'd definitley be concerned about her getting bored as I think thats where all the cool stuff for teens will be. We went with a 3yr old and on Britannia and there wasn't a lot for kids outside of the kids clubs although the club itself was great. There was a teen only deck area which was quite small but had a couple of games tables outside.

Ooh do it blow the budget on an Oasis class ship obviously just kidding, but I'm also jealous as no cruising for us for a few years now with a littley on the way. We'll definitley save up the next few years and hope an Oasis or Quantum class is in Europe for when we're ready. I think it will be worth the extra cost now we'll have a kid to entertain.

I've not checked where the Escape, Joy and Bliss are at the moment, take it none of them are doing anything suitable for you? Or the Breakaway/Getaway?
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First time at Disney!
Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
#56
stecee
Imagineer
 
stecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 09
Three of our cruises have been on the Epic (our first cruise), the Allure of the Seas and NCL Escape, 3 very large ships. It would be hard to beat the facilities on these ships, the Allure and Escape especially.
If you compare what there is to do on these ships to what is on offer to the ship we have recently sailed on, P&O Oceana, there is no comparison. Having said that, I enjoyed this cruise as much as any of our previous cruises. I suppose its all down to what you want out of a cruise and if you have a teen it changes what your needs are.
I do like the big ships though.
__________________
Steve
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.

Edited at 03:28 PM.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Northern Europe on the Anthem of the Sea
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

US Rent A Car

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

theDIBB Menu

American Attractions

US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2242
CaxtonFX  $1.2188
Covent Garden FX  $1.2308
FAIRFX  $1.2220
John Lewis  $1.2307
M&S  $1.2015
Post Office  $1.2202
Sainsburys  $1.2217
TESCO  $1.2262
Travelex  $1.2158
Updated: 10:30 21/09/2019

theDIBB Charities
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,130
£


Macmillan Cancer Support
DIBB Members have Donated: £1,085
£

Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1107
CaxtonFX  €1.1059
Covent Garden FX  €1.1163
FAIRFX  €1.1100
John Lewis  €1.1196
M&S  €1.0935
Post Office  €1.1080
Sainsburys  €1.1099
TESCO  €1.1123
Travelex  €1.1032
Updated: 10:30 21/09/2019

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Sat 21st Sep 5:48am
Now: 22C/72F
Clear Sky
Clear Sky
Cloud Cover: 1%
Wind: 8mph - NE Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1020mb
Humidity: 73%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 09:40 21/09/2019