Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 21 Mar 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Need Router

Mine is very slow and I've been thinking of replacing it but have no idea if they are all compatible.

Lo & behold, this email has just arrived. What do you think - it's supposedly a good deal but I haven't a clue.

Are all routers the same ?

Thanks as always

Linda x

ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

you may get a better wifi signal but ultimatley your internet speed is governed by the slowest point ie/ the speed of the line

do you know your line speed? try this

speedtest/

fwiw I' getting about 14mb at the moment @16-17 is the best i get on copper we dont have fibre here
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

Do you have a fibre connection? If so you should be getting at least 25'ish Mbps and if you're already with Talk Talk it would be worth considering. If you're still on a copper connection I don't know that a new 'super douper' router will make that much difference. I switched to a fibre connection and at the same time changed from BT to Plusnet but apart from reliability of the connection I didn't really notice a wonderful difference in speed. That may be down to the fact that Plusnet's router is identical to the 'pre fibre' BT one I returned, apart from the colour (Plusnet is owned by BT).
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

What are your current speeds ? Download and upload -

you need to check your connection speed directly at the router v the device you are using - (trying a few devices is always good)

Speed Test here -
speedtest.btwholesale/

Check modem speed via the routers IP address / portal

As an example - mine is:

Modem StatusConnected
Traffic Type:PTM
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):20000
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):78542
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Have you confirmed your slow speed is caused by your router ? There are lots of other causes.
I'd be looking for a new router with a recontract so no charge with talktalk though (and a competitive offer) . Something like Fibre and line rental for under £30 at the very least.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

The results of the speed tests. Obviously not right. What should I do ? (Sorry, not very good with stuff like this).

Thurs evening:

This morning :

Edited at 08:54 AM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

thats probably your copper line

fwiw mine is slower after 18:00 & weekends i assume when there aee more folk online

as above see if you can get fibre in your area as a new router wont make the line any faster
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

what speed are you paying for ?
when you did the speed test was that via an ethernet connection to your router and was there any other items in the home using the connection.
If the answer is yes and no then do a couple more tests at different times. If the speed is below what you are paying contact your supplier.
Based on what you have shown its likley a new router will not speed things up, only if you were on really fast speeds would i look at newer routers as they offer quicker wifi speeds.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

this is a minefield and there are many different parameters affecting speed. the one thing that certainly wont do any harm is to unplug the power from the router for 10 minutes and then redo the speed test once everything is back online.
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone, a great help. Xx