Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 Jun 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
We did Whale watching from Cape Cod it was very choppy, amazing experience
What time of year did you go? I wonder if it’s always choppy?
Old 2 Jun 19, 02:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

All the Whale Watches in New England go to Stellwagen Bank. Where they leave from affects how much time it takes to get there.

My experience is that there will be some rocking of the boat and have been on watches that have little to no choppiness and some that are horrible. The bigger the boat, usually the smoother the ride. first one we ever went on was terrible with it seemed like half the boat leaning over the back. They did announce the waters were rough and offered to allow anyone who wished the opportunity to reschedule. I don't think many got off the boat. Even with the back beingcrowded, the other end was fine and it was a wonderful experience (out of Boston Harbor)

All the summer trips we took were from Provincetown and I don't recall many problems with sea sickness. We also did a small boat from Bay of Fundy, which was fine.

My son and daughter in law are volunteer naturalists on whale watches and haven't encountered problems.

I think you can check with the company you are thinking of booking with. Like I said, our first was the worse but even with people being sick it was such a wonderful and amazing trip, we probably did 30 more trips over the years.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
All the Whale Watches in New England go to Stellwagen Bank. Where they leave from affects how much time it takes to get there.

My experience is that there will be some rocking of the boat and have been on watches that have little to no choppiness and some that are horrible. The bigger the boat, usually the smoother the ride. first one we ever went on was terrible with it seemed like half the boat leaning over the back. They did announce the waters were rough and offered to allow anyone who wished the opportunity to reschedule. I don't think many got off the boat. Even with the back beingcrowded, the other end was fine and it was a wonderful experience (out of Boston Harbor)

All the summer trips we took were from Provincetown and I don't recall many problems with sea sickness. We also did a small boat from Bay of Fundy, which was fine.

My son and daughter in law are volunteer naturalists on whale watches and haven't encountered problems.

I think you can check with the company you are thinking of booking with. Like I said, our first was the worse but even with people being sick it was such a wonderful and amazing trip, we probably did 30 more trips over the years.
Thank you we are taking the children and it’s a long time to be on a boat if you don’t feel well! We have been on boats before and never even thought about it, it’s when I’m reading reviews there is always mention of sea sickness!
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We did it last year, we did the trolley tour, we did the museum & dungeon show, it was terribly disappointing, and Salem had always been on my bucket list, we actually found the Salem shipping history a bit more interesting, I love Boston but don’t think I’d rush back to Salem, not an awful lot to look at factually wise,
Completely agree- glad I went but it was a bit disappointing
Old 2 Jun 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

We visited in 2011 and to be honest we’re a bit underwhelmed.
Old 2 Jun 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
What time of year did you go? I wonder if it’s always choppy?
August
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

August
oh really I thought the summer months would bring calm waters . Might just see what the water is like when we get there
Old 3 Jun 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

Sorry for delay, yes we did feel a bit seasick - it was the last week of October, so near the end of the season. Think the trip was 3.5 hours. My daughter and husband were pretty sick, but my son and I were fine. They actually supplied ginger taffy to help with the queasy feeling. Would still do it again!