Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 May 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
stepmead
Imagineer

Anna Maria Red Tide

Last year our trip to the Gulf coast was cancelled due to red tide (husband suffers from asthma) - luckily we could stay on in our Davenport villa as it was available.

This year we’ve booked a week at Anna Maria before heading onto Championsgate but I’ve just read on Facebook that red tide is back in the waters . We have 100% free cancellation on our Anna Maria villa until 21 May and I really don’t know what to do.

Obviously no guarantees it will get worse, but it’s earlier this year and we don’t go until 19 July. I wouldn’t be able to stay there with my asthmatic husband if it spreads. Would you cancel now or wait and risk it?

Crowne Plaza Universal (Sept '04), DLP (Dec '07), Bahama Bay (Nov '09), Eagle Pointe (Sept '10), Bella Vida (Sept '11), Sunset Crest Villa, Barbados (Aug '12), Beach View Barbados (Oct '13), DLP (Mar '15), Porters Gate Villa, Barbados (Oct '16), Cypress Pointe (May '17), Solterra Resort/Royal Pacific (July '18), Tides Inn Lauderdale, Cabana Bay & Windsor at Westside (July ‘19), Grove Resort (Feb ‘20)
stepmead is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Is this still caused by emptying the sugar cane lake water as was suggested before? Shame it's back again.
Old 15 May 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
stepmead
Imagineer

I’m not sure. I’ve spoken to my husband and he’s not happy staying there. Yes it may not spread, but if it does as we staying right by the beach it will not be any fun for us 😔.

If we get there and it’s ok we will find somewhere to stay for the night last minute instead.

Now to find somewhere else to stay in a different location...

Crowne Plaza Universal (Sept '04), DLP (Dec '07), Bahama Bay (Nov '09), Eagle Pointe (Sept '10), Bella Vida (Sept '11), Sunset Crest Villa, Barbados (Aug '12), Beach View Barbados (Oct '13), DLP (Mar '15), Porters Gate Villa, Barbados (Oct '16), Cypress Pointe (May '17), Solterra Resort/Royal Pacific (July '18), Tides Inn Lauderdale, Cabana Bay & Windsor at Westside (July ‘19), Grove Resort (Feb ‘20)
stepmead is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Oh no, I didn’t realise the red tide was back, is it all along the coast again? Sorry to jump on your thread.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

According to ABC a small concentration of Red Tide has been found South Anna Marie and Blue Green Algae along the Sarasota Bar
Both are being monitored
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
According to ABC a small concentration of Red Tide has been found South Anna Marie and Blue Green Algae along the Sarasota Bar
Both are being monitored
Thank you!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

From what I’ve read on both Cape Coral and Anna Maria Island Facebook pages is that the Red Tide isn’t back yet but there have been sightings of the Blue Algae in the Caloosahatchee River which leads directly to the Gulf which in turn mixes with the naturally occurring Red Tide and makes things MUCH worse. This is very simplified, I’m sure someone can come along to explain better.
OP we were on AMI last year and whilst it wasn’t terrible it did impact on our plans so as your husband has health problems on top I don’t think I could risk it. The chances are it won’t be as bad as last year, we certainly didn’t see any in 2017 so it doesn’t happen every year but like you say you could find somewhere last minute if the forecast is good. Summer is off peak on the island and there are plenty of places to choose from. With it being so bad last year sadly I think it’s put quite a few people off risking booking anything. More last minute bookings will be the norm I’m sure.
It’s such a shame as it’s literally my favourite place in the World

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Oh dear lord 😳 I just paid the balance of our rental for our week in AMI at the end of June. Fingers crossed it comes to nothing! None of us have any health issues but still would be gutted if it meant we couldn’t use the beach as that’s the whole point for us.

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by scottishnellie View Post
Oh dear lord 😳 I just paid the balance of our rental for our week in AMI at the end of June. Fingers crossed it comes to nothing! None of us have any health issues but still would be gutted if it meant we couldn’t use the beach as that’s the whole point for us.
Fingers crosses for you Helen! It didn’t arrive on AMI until about a week before we went in August so a lot later than you go.

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
There is a FB page called Friends of Anna Maria Island.

Why not join up for updates?
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List