Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Beyond the Parks
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.
Orlando Attraction Tickets
Unread 15 May 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
stepmead
Imagineer

Anna Maria Red Tide

Last year our trip to the Gulf coast was cancelled due to red tide (husband suffers from asthma) - luckily we could stay on in our Davenport villa as it was available.

This year weve booked a week at Anna Maria before heading onto Championsgate but Ive just read on Facebook that red tide is back in the waters . We have 100% free cancellation on our Anna Maria villa until 21 May and I really dont know what to do.

Obviously no guarantees it will get worse, but its earlier this year and we dont go until 19 July. I wouldnt be able to stay there with my asthmatic husband if it spreads. Would you cancel now or wait and risk it?

Crowne Plaza Universal (Sept '04), DLP (Dec '07), Bahama Bay (Nov '09), Eagle Pointe (Sept '10), Bella Vida (Sept '11), Sunset Crest Villa, Barbados (Aug '12), Beach View Barbados (Oct '13), DLP (Mar '15), Porters Gate Villa, Barbados (Oct '16), Cypress Pointe (May '17), Solterra Resort/Royal Pacific (July '18)
stepmead is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
FL, Cabana Bay & Retreat @ Championsgate
Unread 15 May 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Is this still caused by emptying the sugar cane lake water as was suggested before? Shame it's back again.
Unread 15 May 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
stepmead
Imagineer

Im not sure. Ive spoken to my husband and hes not happy staying there. Yes it may not spread, but if it does as we staying right by the beach it will not be any fun for us 😔.

If we get there and its ok we will find somewhere to stay for the night last minute instead.

Now to find somewhere else to stay in a different location...

Crowne Plaza Universal (Sept '04), DLP (Dec '07), Bahama Bay (Nov '09), Eagle Pointe (Sept '10), Bella Vida (Sept '11), Sunset Crest Villa, Barbados (Aug '12), Beach View Barbados (Oct '13), DLP (Mar '15), Porters Gate Villa, Barbados (Oct '16), Cypress Pointe (May '17), Solterra Resort/Royal Pacific (July '18)
stepmead is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
FL, Cabana Bay & Retreat @ Championsgate
Unread 15 May 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Apprentice Imagineer

Stardust5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 4
Oh no, I didnt realise the red tide was back, is it all along the coast again? Sorry to jump on your thread.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Highlands Reserve and Rotunda
Unread 15 May 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

According to ABC a small concentration of Red Tide has been found South Anna Marie and Blue Green Algae along the Sarasota Bar
Both are being monitored
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
When Aaron comes too
Gryff is a Disney Podcast DIBBcast-ear
Unread 15 May 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Apprentice Imagineer

Stardust5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
According to ABC a small concentration of Red Tide has been found South Anna Marie and Blue Green Algae along the Sarasota Bar
Both are being monitored
Thank you!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Highlands Reserve and Rotunda
Unread 15 May 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

From what Ive read on both Cape Coral and Anna Maria Island Facebook pages is that the Red Tide isnt back yet but there have been sightings of the Blue Algae in the Caloosahatchee River which leads directly to the Gulf which in turn mixes with the naturally occurring Red Tide and makes things MUCH worse. This is very simplified, Im sure someone can come along to explain better.
OP we were on AMI last year and whilst it wasnt terrible it did impact on our plans so as your husband has health problems on top I dont think I could risk it. The chances are it wont be as bad as last year, we certainly didnt see any in 2017 so it doesnt happen every year but like you say you could find somewhere last minute if the forecast is good. Summer is off peak on the island and there are plenty of places to choose from. With it being so bad last year sadly I think its put quite a few people off risking booking anything. More last minute bookings will be the norm Im sure.
Its such a shame as its literally my favourite place in the World
Christmas Markets and More! Berlin - Nov/Dec 2018 Trip Report
The BIG Las Vegas Surprise - Feb 2019 Trip Report
The BIG Little Lies California Road Trip - Jul/Aug 2019 Pre trip Report
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The BIG California Road Trip
Unread 15 May 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Oh dear lord 😳 I just paid the balance of our rental for our week in AMI at the end of June. Fingers crossed it comes to nothing! None of us have any health issues but still would be gutted if it meant we couldnt use the beach as thats the whole point for us.
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
1 week Anna Maria then 15 nights Villa
Florida Tix