Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 24 May 19, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) A Mi11ion Dreams = 2018 - Day 19 - Magic Kingdom an unlucky 13th and it wasn't a Friday!

Welcome back and thanks for reading so far, on a long report like this, that is so much appreciated.

Today is one day at MK that we really wish to forget, I could have had another title for the day , but it just all down to bad luck rather than anything else and was a day that I am sure all of us suffer in a theme park. There is nothing you can do about rides going tech and nothing you can do about queues as a result.

This is our day when MK was not very magical! Keep reading though as it has loads of great tips!

If you missed Day 18 it is a click here to catch up.

The whole index is here if you want to read from the very start

The index of all of these ramblings from the past are here if you dare to click and see that my kids never used to be this tall

Welcome to DAY 19

Monday 13th August

After a late night and given that Joe is the first one awake and downstairs this morning- and every morning for that matter. It was of concern when his question if the morning was - “is it Wednesday?”

By the end of the day It felt like a Friday! Not one for superstition but it was very much an unlucky 13th today

I reminded him that we watched football just yesterday- I don’t think any of us truly understood that it was just a week ago that we played golf.

I had been at pains to tell anyone and everyone who has read all of this, that we had had a quiet week since moving off site - I’m not sure that is totally true- we just did it differently!

The number of late nights possibly tell a different tale and I would also add that by being off site the food distractions and shopping trips have meant for more trips to the Wawa for cash !

Today we were up early(ish) and had a great plan ahead.

Today we were Magic Kingdom bound

Peter Pan 215 was the parking row, it was so busy even getting to the car park- a whole host of intrepidation built as we decided that we would walk to the TTC rather than wait for at least two trams, yes that was how many people were awaiting the parking lot trams.

Always better to just walk in my eyes, yes it adds to that Floridian glow and also adds to the moisture that your body is seeking to expel – avoid that grey tee shirt and you will just need a bit of aircon to sort you out once in the park! Bets Florida holiday trip ever

After bag check the choice was no better than the car park chaos, huge queues for monorail and boat so only one thing -

We had just one thought to avoid it all- Resort Monorail.

It had done for us on fireworks exits so many times, and I have to admit it probably saved 20 to 30 minutes today- we arrived just in time for the 11am Move it Shake it street party on our entry onto Main Street- it’s worth noting the time as you read on!

We got the usual coffee and cinnamon rolls at Gaston’s, before heading to Splash Mountain for our first fast pass of the day.

We waited in a long pre-queue, to even scan at the fast pass gate and once entering the whole ride went down.

There’s even photos too - bit of a rarity today

Having waited so long in full sun and then just made it through the scan point, there was an incredulous feeling amongst everyone in the queue.

Now, as the standby line was cleared, we stood our place and thankfully those around us understood too. FP scanned- you need it to be done again to ensure it is not lost.

Patience is required, but I would give the ride staff their due, we got our fp scanned back.

Worth remembering rather than just opting out of the queue when a ride goes tech.

It was a wasted 40 minutes on a day we had planned to just dip into MK.

Seemingly ‘lost’ we then walked past Pirates of the Caribbean which had been closed all morning.

We kept on walking, across the hub and towards our next fast pass.

This was at Space Mountain which was now closed too.

Can you feel that Disney magic?

Add in 100 degree heat

No, neither could I.

You seriously could not make this up. I was certainly not feeling the magic. None of us were.

Our time limited plan for today was worthy of words last spoken in Father Ted- usually by Fr. Jack.

There were now a three big rides down, there was no magic, there were four people who could have walked out and never returned - it really was that bad.

It was Monday, not the weekend and to have so much go tech seemed so improbable, it was beyond my own levels of theme park tolerance!

Rather than take it out on my family, I sought a little therapeutic conversation at guest services instead.

The queue there was shorter than every ride and the experiences of others shared an acknowledgment that things today were not good, the queue itself was out of the door and for early afternoon that was such a telling point.

I type this far more calmly than I felt - a conversation on a rational and factual basis followed and with an understanding of the frustration just a swipe of a magic band away- we discussed what was our now.

That calmness was, as always, factual and just summed up our day so far.

The CM scanned my magic band and saw everything that had happened from us scanning at park entry – she also knew our exact movement around the park from entry!

They are always watching!

That was something I still struggle with, they knew exactly where we had been and could track our day. The power of a Magic Band!

She also understood that we had no intention to be in the park all day, we had booked FP's close together to get in and then get out.

She very kindly booked the listed FPs for today onto our itinerary for later in the week and without the need to throw any toy out of a pram, nor indeed to raise a voice, Town Hall guest relations helped to make our experience today much more of a relief that we had not wasted our time.

It was a delight to have such clear customer service and with a true understanding that we had not had the most magical day.

With three main rides down Magic Kingdom was running to standstill today.

We stopped for some Sorcerers of The MK cards

before trying to ride Big Thunder Mountain. Of which there was the most extraordinary fast pass queue, as those who were unable to ride Splash, Pirates or Space Mountain were obviously being redirected by My Disney App to ride Big Thunder instead!

I actually felt for those in the standby line, there was a need to clear a whole lot of Fast Pass waiting.

After being in the park for two and a half hours we finally had our first ride of the day on BTM – yes you read that right 2 ½ hours after entry!

We sensed that Splash Mountain was close to reopening as they were testing the ride boats but not letting anyone in the queue.

We stood for ten minutes, baking in full sun and to be honest sizzling a little, before deciding we would give it a miss in the standby line, as the numbers with fast passes was rapidly snaking out of sight.

We opted instead to ensure that we actually got to ride one ride that we had a fast pass for and that was the 7 dwarfs, we were also aware of the gathering dark clouds that could be a problem if lightning was close by.

Knowing our luck today that would have been possible!

We got straight on and rode at the back.

We checked the live wait times and found that Space Mountain had reopened so we agreed that we would ride this and get out of here!

Now approaching Space Mountain we simply laughed at the length of the fast pass queue! It snaked across Tomorrowland and had anything but the thought of a Fast pass to the ride.

Behind us in the queue was the singularly most obnoxious child I think I have ever experienced.

He was pulling on my shorts to attract my attention as I was checking my phone for future plans this week.

I turned, stared in disbelief, and then was told to “move forward, move forward “

I didn’t, I just stared at the little bar steward.

The space to move forward into was less than one whole step.

Josh joined us at this point, having been sent for water as we were all in dehydration state by now, this kid did no more than question him and point to the back of the line.

Josh was great, he took the kid to task and explained the whole story to the little git, his broken English was spot on -

“I was sent for water, I am with them, they are my parents”

He was given short shrift and a silence was enjoyed from then on until unbelievably, as we approached the fast pass scan, he was joined by his own mother, who had been sitting in the shade all this time.

Without making any comment on people from certain countries who visit WDW, and able to speak/ understand a bit of Spanish - I know when I am being spoken about, it took just the one look towards his mother. She knew that I understood what was being said about us and tried to shush her son. It was way too late for that!

Incredulous is possibly the politest way I can describe it.

I have loads more words that would possibly get me banned from The Dibb.

The kid got another stare at that point from both of our boys. It was better than them laying into him

They remained behind us, right up until we boarded the ride- they were 5 and 6 to our 1-4 on Space Mountain.

I make no apologies whatsoever but felt it best that it would be me that appeared in their ride photo!

I felt I did well to not flick the fingers in the ride photo!

They were totally oblivious, but it made me feel a bit better with a roll of the eyes that even a photo managed to pick up.

We were determined to leave before the parade started and so we did. (although the Pandora shop on Main Street was visited – strange how this place has such a magnetic draw towards one member of our party!)

At 3pm we were on the express monorail and headed to the car.

We got the tram back to where this frustrating day had begun some 4 1/2 hours ago.

We stopped to replenish fluids at McDonald’s, with the refillable drink getting plenty of opportunity to be filled as once again, a quick one dollar menu snack was shared- bargain idea this as it is just enough to tide us over for the next few hours. We don’t eat loads during a park day, and usually we don’t ‘do‘ McDonalds. For the speed and refillable drinks it has been a good way of spending just $7 to ensure we all make it until tea time, which is also getting later and later!

We then stopped at the newly opened Walmart at the bottom of Lake Wilson Road- we know how to make a bad day even worse! - this shop has possibly the greatest amount of natural light I have seen in a supermarket with panels in the roof allowing natural sunlight to fill the aisles. It is also smaller than the other Walmart’s we visit ( Vineland and the 27) so less possibility of wasting hours and also getting lost too!

They could have done with filling the shelves as they had very little of what we had come in for, so we still needed to drop into Publix on the way back.

It was at this exact point those threatening clouds burst and the sound of rain on the roof together with the sound of thunder meant that our pool afternoon was going to be as successful as the park part of the day!

As we arrived at the villa, there was little rain but the remnants of lightning in the air, so we took the opportunity to get the washing machine on, tidy up and just have a chill out for a bit.

The pool evening extended into the darkness and once again tea was late- the boys enjoying a sweet and sour chicken whilst Alison and I had some steak with potato salad.

We then explained that our park fast passes for tomorrow were not going to be needed- we had cancelled them a long while ago.

We were going to Clearwater for the day - to do something we have never done on any day in the USA -ever! And very probably, will never be able to do or experience ever again.

It will also tell you the story about the = part of the trip report title.

As I once again caught up with some work, I went to sleep later than I probably should have done.

Clearwater, here we come!

Day 20 is just a click here away

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 11:11 PM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Dixiechic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

This sounds a bit like our first full day a couple of weeks ago. We just popped in to mk for the afternoon and it threw it down just as we were about to go on thunder mountain. All the outdoor rides closed so anyone with a fast pass for them headed to space mountain do the line was huge. We rode 2 rides in 4 hours and were soaked through to the skin. Looking forward to hearing about the beach
Old 24 May 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
bootsie
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

That sounds really frustrating at MK you all did well not to lose it. looking forward to reading about tomorrow!
bootsie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
clucky1966
Imagineer

clucky1966's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Have just read the whole of your trip report and thoroughly enjoyed every day of it, please get Day 20 on soon I need to know the next chapter!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us all some great tips and ideas for planning

clucky1966 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Brilliant report 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Such a frustrating day.

I know it doesn't help you now, but I read a post saying that magic kingdom is best avoided on a Monday as many American wdw visitors are there for a long weekend and like to get in a last bit of magic before they fly home by visiting MK. I don't know how true it is but it made sense to me as we always like to do MK on our airport travel home day, so I've avoided it on a Monday like the plague.

I totally agree with you about the Florida glow and that grey t shirts are best avoided. I was moaning about the fact that Primark seem to love a grey Disney t shirt. Literally any other colour would be better than grey.

I think you did the most sensible thing on the space mountain photo. Sweet revenge! They have a very memorable ride photo now!

I love your teaser trailer for the next day at Clearwater. Looking forward to it as ever.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a frustrating day that was

Joan
Old 24 May 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

That doesn't sound like the highlight of your holiday but your ride photo made me chuckle. Your boys look really happy in the pool photos too. Looking forwards to hearing about your beach trip.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Dixiechic View Post
This sounds a bit like our first full day a couple of weeks ago. We just popped in to mk for the afternoon and it threw it down just as we were about to go on thunder mountain. All the outdoor rides closed so anyone with a fast pass for them headed to space mountain do the line was huge. We rode 2 rides in 4 hours and were soaked through to the skin. Looking forward to hearing about the beach
Appreciate you posting a reply and for reading. Thank you

MK seems to run to a standstill so quickly once the weather comes in and thankfully they do close rides before the dreaded lightning arrives.
Your two rides in four hours sounds a unwanted start to your first full day
Hope your holiday got better and hope that you got to experience MK in it's full magical glory

As for our Beach trip - it has a twist and then some

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I love the photo of you on space mountain your face says it all

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List