Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Sep 18, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
We booked a short break flying to Dubrovnik from Southend with EasyJet. We are only going for 3 nights but I'm sure I will want to go back. Accomodation on booking.com a nice apartment at the base of the cable car. Also booked the airport shuttle online. I can't wait x
I think we will probably book diy. I have looked at packages and they are a reasonable price but I like the flexibility of diy bookings. A few years ago this would be daunting but our US trips have made us braver 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
Many years ago in the days it was Yugoslavia, we spent many happy times in HVAR. Was a beautiful family resort even then , so sad what followed during and after the wars there
Had holidays in Split, Dubrovic and surrounding area. always wanted to go back.
No beaches as rocky outlets but the swimming , surrounded by fish in clear waters is fabulous.
HVAR has lavender fields all around the small island , and the smells are amazing
It sounds so pretty. My daughter is a biology student who wants to work in conservation so loves the idea of swimming surrounded by fish 😀. Hvar is definitely on our list to visit.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

We are deciding between Split or Dubrovnik as our base, we were wondering which of these would be best for swimming in the sea to see fish. So, which of these has the best access to the water and is one better than the other for clear waters and fish?
Old 2 Sep 18, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
This sounds a great way to see lots. We like to explore the area we visit too so may look into doing a similar route as you have. Is English spoken and understood well? Always find it's useful if travelling around 😀. Are signs etc at ferry ports multi-lingual and easy to understand?
Everyone at the ferry terminals spoke perfect english-not always well signed but there is a port office to help you find the right dock (only one at Hvar and Korcula anyway!)

I booked all our transfers in advance as in Sept there is sometimes only one crossing from the smaller islands

I used jadrolinija.hr and krilo.hr
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jheaton View Post
Everyone at the ferry terminals spoke perfect english-not always well signed but there is a port office to help you find the right dock (only one at Hvar and Korcula anyway!)

I booked all our transfers in advance as in Sept there is sometimes only one crossing from the smaller islands

I used jadrolinija.hr and krilo.hr
Thanks, that's really helpful 😀
Old 2 Sep 18, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Mobile

Yes, absolutely no problem with English, it seems to be pretty universally spoken, and all the menus we’ve seen so far were translated (although thankfully not serving English food!)
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by folkie View Post
Yes, absolutely no problem with English, it seems to be pretty universally spoken, and all the menus we’ve seen so far were translated (although thankfully not serving English food!)
Oh good, I know we should make an effort with languages more but I have looked at a few websites today which were in Croatian (until we used translate page 😀 ) and it doesn't look an easy one 😊.

The Croatian food we saw online looks delicious. We do enjoy trying new food when away too.

Would you recommend Dubrovnic or Split area for the clearest seas and opportunities to see fish, or are they both similar in this respect? My daughter is going to study biology at university next year so would love the chance to swim and study the fish and the ecosystems.
Old 2 Sep 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
English is very widely spoken and most signs are in Croatian and English. We have just got back from 2 weeks in Croatia, staying in Dalmatia and loved it. Will write a trip report but a beautiful country with lots to do.
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
dibdobber
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

dibdobber's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Had 2 hols in Croatia - one in Rovinj, one in Porec. Would happily go back to either. As other posters have said, trip in Venice easy enough to do - long day but v memorable. Food (with weird exception of bread) is on the whole really good, wine v good and ice cream almost as good as in italy. Lots of interesting history, good boat trips - we saw adriatic dolphins on one trip which was fab.
dibdobber is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
English is very widely spoken and most signs are in Croatian and English. We have just got back from 2 weeks in Croatia, staying in Dalmatia and loved it. Will write a trip report but a beautiful country with lots to do.
I look forward to your trip report. We have been researching all day and it does seem a fascinating and beautiful country.