Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 5 Mar 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
aladdin
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I watched this yesterday morning on Hulu and I 100% cannot express enough that you need to watch this documentary. It’s absoloutely harrowing but it points out a lot of things that I cannot believe went unnoticed for so many years. It makes me wonder how many people were complicit in these acts. Some of the recorded phone calls and faxes just turned my stomach. I can’t say much more without going into too much detail. I’ll leave you to watch and make your own judgement
Old 5 Mar 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by taylaboo View Post
...The truth will never be known and Mj is no longer here to defend himself.
Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
...There are many, many reasons why someone would stay quiet for years and speak out later...
I agree with both of these.

A television programme is not a court of law and even in a court of law it's a challenge to find the complete truth, let alone with the defendant no longer with us.

It might be true, in which case I have sympathy for the victims. It might not be true, in which case my sympathies lie with different victims.

I'm not going to guess, because I don't want to add momentum to either side when I can't possibly know.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 02:03 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
They weren't paid for the documentary. Just for the record.

There are many, many reasons why someone would stay quiet for years and speak out later. Fear, guilt, shame, lack of understanding about what happened to them and that it was wrong. James Safechuck said he only really realised what he'd been through when his own son turned the same age as he had been when the abuse started and he saw how young and innocent he was. People often wait to speak until after the abuser has died as they never really felt like they escaped the hold they had on them.

There's no 'right' way to react to abuse. I can't stress that enough. Talking about what 'you would have done' in that situation is just ridiculous - you don't know. Even if you had the exact same experience you would likely react totally differently as a result of your own personality and psyche. It's so unhelpful to judge others based on what you might have done in a situation that you weren't in and is a huge reason why victims don't come forward.
You don't know me and you have no idea what my childhood was like, but what I do know is that the parents of these children let them down and put them in harms way. Do you think these people were doing it for love! I don't.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The Jimmy Seville comparison still holds. People only came out after he died. There was no one saying, he’s dead and not here to defend himself so we can’t know for sure. I am not saying that MJ is guilty or not guilty. What I am saying is that you can’t treat them differently if it true.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
You don't know me and you have no idea what my childhood was like, but what I do know is that the parents of these children let them down and put them in harms way. Do you think these people were doing it for love! I don't.

Dave
I never said I did know you or your childhood. That was kind of my point.

I also never said anything about their parents and whether they were right or wrong so are you sure you've quoted the right post to reply to?
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Dave
Yes of course you are right,the parents clearly let them down ,unless they were so naive and genuinely had no clue ...Sad for their children though maybe thinking if its ok with their perents it must be ok
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
The Jimmy Seville comparison still holds. People only came out after he died. There was no one saying, he’s dead and not here to defend himself so we can’t know for sure. I am not saying that MJ is guilty or not guilty. What I am saying is that you can’t treat them differently if it true.
Its such a difficult one. Many people knew about Jimmy Saville when he was alive but did nothing about it. I remember many years before his death in a conversation with someone I know who at the time was in the met who posed the question. How come Jimmy Saville collects so much for children's' hospital but you never see him visit one. He had been banned for many years.

I have no more idea about the guilt of Michael Jackson but I do wonder if he will be treated the same way as others. I know why its done but it feels wrong somehow to make the work that these people did disappear as if it didn't happen. Gary Glitter disappears off TOTP as if he never existed as does Jonathon King. If you watch TOTP2 it was as if Jimmy Saville never presented an episode.

Is Michael Jackson about to disappear from musical history in this country? The news was that Radio 2 have quietly dropped him already.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Dave
. I dont believe lady Debb was talking about you just how the situation is
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
I'm sure there were people who questioned it, but it did quickly seem to become agreed that Savile was guilty! So, I see your point about a posthumous investigation and 'trial' of some sort. It was a TV programme that paved the way then, wasn't it?

Still, I want to remind myself that, whatever I might think - I don't know.

Whatever did or didn't happen, Jackson lived a much more reclusive life than Savile and it's hard to see that we can ever know for sure.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I think that a lot of people don’t report it until much later because the balance of power is often skewed when dealing with someone famous or indeed an adult against a child. Sometimes the strength to deal with it only comes with time and occasionally after the person has died.

I think the right to raise these things should always be available whether the person is alive or dead. The way they are dealt with will change but an avenue should always exist.

I don’t agree with trial by media I hasten to add.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List