Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 24 Apr 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Can I watch BBC iplayer on the flight with WiFi?

Sorry that’s maybe a silly question 😳 I’m not very tech savvy! I plan to pay for full WiFi on our flight on Sunday on the virgin Dreamliner , & I’ll be missing line of duty lol wondering can I watch it?
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

It's an interesting question this one. Are you saying that at the time of transmission of this programme you will be in the air ?

I can see a couple of potential problems here.

1) if - for example - the connection point from the aircraft wifi is outside of the UK iplayer may not allow you to watch material saying 'not available outside of the UK'.

2) even if the above didn't happen then the connection speed of the wifi may not be enough to stream wifi.

If you are really desperate to watch this program then I would suggest that you waited until you got proper access to proper wifi abroad BUT this may need you to use something called a VPN... have I lost you yet ?
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
As BB says you would have to watch Iplayer through a VPN. I wanted to watch Killing Eve last year but Iplayer says it isn't available in that country.
I personally, don't think Virgin Wifi is good enough to stream even if you could get it. x
Just my experiences, however.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

I’ve no clue what VPN is so I’ll just wait till I get back off holiday! I must keep offline as I don’t want to hear or see what’s happened!
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I player has been blocked outside the UK . My sister in oz use to watch it via VPN but no longer can since they cracked down on it , presumably to launch their new one for overseas .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I always download the programmes I want to watch on iplayer to my ipad, so no reason to have wifi on the plane.

Edit: I just realised that you are so desperate to see the programme that you want to see it live on the plane (that is very desperate).

Edited at 07:13 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
I’ve no clue what VPN is so I’ll just wait till I get back off holiday! I must keep offline as I don’t want to hear or see what’s happened!
Here what aV P n is

en.m.wikipedia/wiki/Virtual_private_network
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I used to be able to watch iPlayer on a VPN but it’s blocked now ( I’ve tried a couple of different ones) if anyone as a VPN that works perhaps they could let me know.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

i have an alternative solution but may be a bit late for you to sort now. I have a raspberry pi with a tv hat. this allows me to stream any freeview channel to any location i maybe.

The other option you may have is Kodi that has some plug ins to stream tv channels.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
i have an alternative solution but may be a bit late for you to sort now. I have a raspberry pi with a tv hat. this allows me to stream any freeview channel to any location i maybe.

The other option you may have is Kodi that has some plug ins to stream tv channels.
These are great solutions (I used to have a sling box if you remember that) but suggest the OP (by their own admission) may not have the tech skills needed to get them working.