Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 8 May 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbellworld
Trying for More Ears

Apple Pay

With the new Disney hotel magic band charge rules I was considering using Apple Pay for purchases instead (linked to Halifax clarity credit card). I haven’t used it before, are there any transaction charges for using a linked a credit card?
Tinkerbellworld is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Simba1980
slightly serious Dibber

You might find that Apple Pay doesn't work in the US. I'm not sure why but I assumed it would work last year and it didn't. I ended up having to take my cards whenever I went off Disney and just charged to my MB on site.

It might be worth getting a pre-paid card such as Fairfax if you don't want to charge to your Magic Band.

I am unaware of the changes to Magic Band charge rules. Can someone tell me whats changed as we always use our MB when on Disney property.

Saratoga Springs WDW 2013 Saratoga Springs WDW 2014 Saratoga Springs WDW 2015 Las Vegas Vow Renewal June 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2017 Las Vegas Feb 2018 Las Vegas June 2018 Cyprus July & September 2018 Saratoga Springs Oct 2018 Universal Studios Adventura Resort and Hard Rock Hotel Oct 2019 Las Vegas July 2022 Port Orleans FQ & Hard Rock 2022
Simba1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

I've been using Apple Pay for most things but always have the card incase they don't accept it. The change to MB is that they are putting $100 hold on the card and then clearing the balance after 5 days. The issue is that as soon as you go over the $100 they then charge your card and add another $100 hold and the holds are not coming off quickly. There are a few threads about it if you do a search.
unixgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbellworld
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
I've been using Apple Pay for most things but always have the card incase they don't accept it. The change to MB is that they are putting $100 hold on the card and then clearing the balance after 5 days. The issue is that as soon as you go over the $100 they then charge your card and add another $100 hold and the holds are not coming off quickly. There are a few threads about it if you do a search.
Yeah I have read the threads, we have always used payment by MB but I always reduced the balance with our dollars at various points during the holiday when it used to be just the one debit from the credit card at the end of the holiday. The new system seems to be geared more towards shorts stays unfortunately.

With the Apple Pay I was worried that there maybe credit card charges, we use Halifax Clarity card so it was just if we are penalised for using Apple Pay
Tinkerbellworld is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellworld View Post
Yeah I have read the threads, we have always used payment by MB but I always reduced the balance with our dollars at various points during the holiday when it used to be just the one debit from the credit card at the end of the holiday. The new system seems to be geared more towards shorts stays unfortunately.

With the Apple Pay I was worried that there maybe credit card charges, we use Halifax Clarity card so it was just if we are penalised for using Apple Pay
Wouldn't expect to be penalised using Apple Pay if via the Halifax credit card. Although cannot confirm.

One thing you can do with Apple is add Disney gift cards to apple wallet and use that to pay. We did the service your way so had US$ 120 send via e-mail which we could then add to wallet and they just scanned the barcode on the phone/watch to use. Only realised this a few days into the holiday and had basically already used the US$200 gift card from VH.
Old 8 May 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbellworld
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Wouldn't expect to be penalised using Apple Pay if via the Halifax credit card. Although cannot confirm.

One thing you can do with Apple is add Disney gift cards to apple wallet and use that to pay. We did the service your way so had US$ 120 send via e-mail which we could then add to wallet and they just scanned the barcode on the phone/watch to use. Only realised this a few days into the holiday and had basically already used the US$200 gift card from VH.
Great idea I will look into it thanks 👍
Old 8 May 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
jhawkes
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Over at Kidani Village at the moment and had mixed results with Apple Pay one full day into our fortnight. No issue in shops or quick service restaurants but Tusker House were baffled by the suggestion this morning. Just paid with the card. Would be nice to not have to carry it around
Old 8 May 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
OP if you have a clarity card why not just link it to your magic band and not worry about Apple Pay. As the clarity card is a proper credit card the Disney hold policy won’t affect you.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 04:21 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
OP if you have a clarity card why not just link it to your magic band and not worry about Apple Pay. As the clarity card is a proper credit card the Disney hold policy won’t affect you.
I agree that the hold is worse on a pre-pay or a bank card but the hold still goes on a credit card. Depending on the card limit and usage that can still cause problems.
unixgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
I agree that the hold is worse on a pre-pay or a bank card but the hold still goes on a credit card. Depending on the card limit and usage that can still cause problems.
Agreed if you have a low credit limit assuming the hold counts against that. Assuming you intend to clear the balance you can of course clear the card in whole or part at anytime by making a payment.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List