Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 May 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Uber vs car hire... worth it?

Ok im after opinions.
Our off site hotel on 192 is v close to wdw and getting quotes (playing on uber app) price is approx $10 into parks.)
20 to USF and 25 to airport.

The cost to hire car and parking is approx $60 per day.
So is it worth the 40$ a day for convenience of having the car..
Or do i cancel reservation and use uber?
We have bfast inc. So even if we take a break (which tbf i think we will most days) still only $40 per day...
Will drivers do a drive through for food?
How hard is it to get an uber after fireworks?
What am i missing as all i can see is positives for cancelling.
2 non drinking adults..
What about supermarkets? Do they wait or do u just get a new one?
Can we get wifi everywhere (like walmart or DS or hotels? )
Tyvm x
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
geewhiz
slightly serious Dibber

geewhiz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
This would be my worst nightmare and would completely ruin my holiday but only you will know if you would be happy waiting on taxis for every journey of your holiday.

You only mention parks and supermarkets, will you not go anywhere else?

I’d imagine at busy times it won’t just cost $10, there’s potential for it to cost a lot more and you need to take tips into account.

The main big supermarkets all have free Wi-fi.
geewhiz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

We used Lyft and have been back a few weeks. We have always hired a car and tbh now I would think twice! We also normally stay in villas and this time stayed on I drive so could walk to places.
We tried Lyft as we were going over Easter and until Easter Mon car hire was ridiculous so picked one up then and travelled to St Augustine which was amazing . So we were sort of forced to try it out as I couldn’t justify the cost of car hire. I’m glad as I don’t think I would have used it. I know another dibber who normally hires had good things to say (there has been a recent thread about this). I actually was thinking about next year and looking at the 192 accommodations to be near Disney. I will seriously consider carhire as we do love it to go further afield but now with the cost of parking, to hire the car, fuel, stress(we were on I4 all 4 lanes blocked and had to come off and couldn’t then use satnav as it was diverting us back onto I4 - but we did it ) I’m not sure it’s worth it. I think it just depends on cost and we will still continue to hire if we are travelling around to explore but will depend what we are doing. I found the prices never changed to what was quoted and was really cheap. They also drop you nearer to the parks.
All the drivers we’re nice and only encountered 1 problem where the driver showed up and then drove off? We were charged a cancellation fee $5 so explained to the driver that did pick us up he told us to contact Lyft. A quick online chat and $5 was refunded. Pick up from airport was great too there is just an area you request the ride.
Hopefully someone else will come on that perhaps has stayed on 192 and used them as I would be interested in their response

Edited at 06:42 PM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Mobile

Ubers/Lyft are everywhere and u never wait long til one comes. So it’s easy to survive without a car, however having a car does give u more freedom
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel88
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I think for the extra money I'd always prefer the convenience of having a car rental. That said, uber and lyft are both great services and the times I have used them they've been very reliable.

With ubereats they'll go through the drive through for you and deliver your order for a small fee. Wifi is freely available in the parks, supermarkets, malls, a lot of restaurants etc. but sometimes you'll get cut off if you're outside the wifi zone waiting for your driver. This has happened to us a few times resulting in our driver being cancelled and us having to order another.

The price quoted is always an estimate and can go up if there's traffic. Both uber and lyft also add a premium if there's a high demand for their service. I've never used them after the fireworks but if a lot of people are requesting a driver at once it will put the prices up. So just factor that into your budget that the price will likely be slightly higher than the estimate.
Ariel88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I am a bit split on this, we have had a holiday where we relied entirely on Ubers, cost £260 for two weeks, so not to bad, some days were multiple trips, ie to supermarkets/ mall etc or more than one park. Although if we go at our usual time of year we have a journey out of main part of Orlando, not sure if we could get an uber there and back. We stayed in hotel on 192 when we used ubers. I love the fact you dont have to park miles away from entrance to parks and get the tram, DD finds it difficult getting on and off.
When we went this year we had a car, but shared the costs with friends so wasnt too steep, but was a pain on the trams and of course finding car at the end of a busy day! A couple of times we got ubers/lyft instead of using car.
Old 19 May 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Just been watching the News here where they showed Uber drivers coordinating the turning off of their availability thus kicking in price surge mode.

That means for example a $10 ride leaps to over $30

So yet again we have passengers being ripped off

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We always have a car, even when on-site. Sometimes it doesn't get used for a couple of days at a time but I wouldn't be without the convenience of it.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It really depends on how you holiday.
If you are parks from opening to close type people then Uber/Lyft works really well however if you like to pop back and forth ... say morning in the park , return for rest/swim etc then back out for dinner or more parks then you need to take the into account when comparing costs.

Personally Lyft has worked incredibly well for us and I don't miss the trek to and from the parking lots one bit but I'm not 100% Car reliant at home either and I can understand why someone who never uses Uber and always drives themselves everywhere at home might struggle to even imagine doing it.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
Ok im after opinions.
Our off site hotel on 192 is v close to wdw and getting quotes (playing on uber app) price is approx $10 into parks.)
20 to USF and 25 to airport.

The cost to hire car and parking is approx $60 per day.
So is it worth the 40$ a day for convenience of having the car.. not for me
Or do i cancel reservation and use uber? I like Lyft as it's slightly cheaper most drivers work for both
We have bfast inc. So even if we take a break (which tbf i think we will most days) still only $40 per day...
Will drivers do a drive through for food? Uber Eats for food same company different app. Works like JustEat does here
How hard is it to get an uber after fireworks? Not hard let the rush go down rather than try and beat the crowds and it's easier to work out which is yours plus you tend to avoid surge pricing. Sometimes we stroll to the Contempory and pick it up there as it's just as quick and less crowded
What am i missing as all i can see is positives for cancelling.
2 non drinking adults..
What about supermarkets? Do they wait or do u just get a new one? Get a new one back
Can we get wifi everywhere (like walmart or DS or hotels? ) yes , Walmart it tends to stop at the door so order it before stepping outside
Tyvm x
Answers attached to each question
Anything else ?

Edited at 01:53 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List